PDA

View Full Version : CH 3 or 4 station press questions???

treysoucie
07-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Found this on ebay... why would this press have 4 stations on top but only a 3 position ram plate?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CH-BULLET-PRESS-4-STATION-BULLET-PRESS-BULLET-RELOADING-PRESS-C-H-RELOADING-TOOL-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/2FkAAOxyFiRR0iLM/$(KGrHqIOKpMFG7DQipwcBR0iLLt1T!~~60_3.JPG

roots911
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Powder measure mounting hole. Normally the press only has one bar for the handle . The wooden piece and the flat bar on the left have been added.

W.R.Buchanan
07-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Top piece is probably a new piece. New machines have 4 holes some older machines had 3 holes, and the first machines only had one hole.

The top plate may have had the threads gooned so they replaced it. It has also been painted green.

AS stated above the handle and left arm is added on. These either had a strait rod with a cover or a knob on the end. Also the handle appears to be longer than stock which is an indication that someone was trying to get more leverage.

Stock , these presses are not very good for Full Length sizing of large rifle rounds. They don't have enough mechanical advantage to do it easily. They will do it, it just takes some effort. The lengthened handle could help in this regard.

The middle station on the rear is where you size, and the left station is where your powder measure goes. Middle front is bullet seat and right is crimp.

I use mine primarily for loading processed and primed cases.

If you can get it cheap it can be saved. Also Dave at C&H probably has a proper platen for it that would bring it up to todays configuration.

They are excellent tools. Here's a pic of what they look like set up for loading .44's

Randy

Kevin Rohrer
07-12-2013, 06:05 PM
I agree with WR. That top plate is not original. CH sells parts for their presses. The owner upgraded his '333' to a 333(+), or maybe a 444(-). :killingpc

LUBEDUDE
07-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Definitely agree with Randy and Kevin.

Whatchagot here is a Frankenstein press. 333 bottom, 444 top, and an after market shovel handle. Nothing wrong with it working wise. It will still make a sweet press for someone.

The shocker is, it sold for $250.99 with $37.65 shipping!!!!!!

A Brand Spanking 444 from CH4D cost $295.

I hope that shovel handle was worth it.