PDA

View Full Version : Sprue Lube

buckwheatpaul
07-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Just got a new NOE mold in 311008....Al no longer supplies the sample sprue lube due to trying to not increase price...and I appreciate the fact that he is trying to hold down costs....very refreshing in todays world.....

With that said....what would you gentlemen recommend for sprue lube......I appreciate your thoughts....

theperfessor
07-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Bullplate is best IMHO. Synthetic 2 stroke oil is second best. Don't use ANYTHING Lee recommends.

buckwheatpaul
07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
I havent cast in over 20 years and just started getting back into the process....looking forward to it as it was extremely relaxing.....I appreciate the help......Paul

theperfessor
07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
It can get addicting, enjoy! A lot of good folks here to help you out if you run into snags.

'74 sharps
07-12-2013, 05:09 AM
Hit the auto supply store for some Permatex Anti-Sieze Lubricant. Comes in a 1 oz tube for a few dollars and goes a long way. Very easy to see when on the mold. Has the consistency of a gel and will not run all over the place.

gunoil
07-12-2013, 05:14 AM
mold lube from bayoubullets.net,,, call donnie!

dromia
07-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Bullplate or synthetic two stroke oil has worked the best for me.

bwgdog
07-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Al does supply the oil-all you have to do is look at the page when you order your mold and clink on the box where it shows lube/or the other if you want set of allen wrenches with your mold. His website has been updated this past week with new things and a lot more in stock molds. Check it out-------------

jmort
07-13-2013, 08:40 PM
I like the Stihl HP Ultra full synthetic which is biodegradable and no/low smoke.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils--lubricants-and-fuels/oils-and-lubricants/oilhpultra/

bangerjim
07-13-2013, 09:27 PM
I have had excellent luck with good old beeswax. Our forefathers did not have O'riley auto or commercial bullet lubes. They found a "bee tree" and let Mother Nature help them out!

Also works much better than candle wax for reducing tin back in the pot!

Bangerjim

1_Ogre
07-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Personally I use Amzoil ATF, pure synthetic. I have a hypodermic and when I lube the sprue plate, you don't have to drench it, "1" drop is more than adaquate. A quarte of Amzoil ATF will last you a lifetime, it goes a LONG way and be sure to not overdo it, more than a drop and you'll be cleaning the mould. A little sure goes a long way.