PDA

View Full Version : Time too " Bury the Dog."

OverMax
07-11-2013, 08:51 AM
:violin: It has come to my attention on more than one occasion. Why do reloaders bother to mention or use {Ranch Dog} in a molds description. Wouldn't a Lee replacement product be more satisfactory? For those relying on the information we comment about. I for one think its more appropriate to promote a current business's product with its current product description. Rather than one out of the past no longer in existence. {Ranch Dog Molds has been a defunct business for a couple years already.} "Time to move on!!" {Yes I know a few of Ranch Dog's designs are still available from Lee Molds.} But hardly ever is that availability info mentioned in someone's comments. "Time too bury that old Ranch Dog moniker once and for all!!" What say you?

O/M

richhodg66
07-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Well, the two I have I bought from him while he was still in business and besides, if he designed them, I think it's still appropriate to refer to them that way.

We refer to Loverin bullets and I've seen the Lee bullet for the 7.62x39 often attributed to being designed by C.E. Harris so whay is this different?

texassako
07-11-2013, 09:16 AM
I will continue to call them by their Ranchdog name since he designed them, and he has only been out of business since the end of last year(not a couple of years). I just like to give credit where credit is due. Lee has not started offering any of his designs for sale as far as I know, except as group buys. He was also nice enough to put up the site with the designs and data, and even came up with 4 new designs he wanted and offered a group buy to get them instead of getting a custom mold. Lots of designs out there are still referenced by the designer.

Maximumbob54
07-11-2013, 09:18 AM
RD still does a group buy now and then. A better question would be what is taking Lee so long to buy the designs from him.

And to be honest I'm almost offended for Ranch Dog at this thread.

pressonregardless
07-11-2013, 09:27 AM
And to be honest I'm almost offended for Ranch Dog at this thread.

Kinda what I was thinking.

jmort
07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm in a group buy for Ranch Dog Mold right now for September delivery.

Piedmont
07-11-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm not promoting anything. If I use a discontinued mold and you can't find it on the shelf---tough for you!

375RUGER
07-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Being "way north of Texas" I don't think you'd understand. (contemplating whether to add :kidding: or not)
I suppose you think we shouldn't talk of Elmer Keith either.

jmort
07-11-2013, 10:03 AM
"A better question would be what is taking Lee so long to buy the designs from him."
As I understand it anything you have Lee produce for use is their intellectual property. They are so busy, any custom work is on back burner.

OverMax
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
As far as as I know ranch dog molds were only sold and promoted here on the C/B site. I've never seen them being sold in stores. If they were? it had to be for a very very short time. From what I believe to be true. I guess what little reputation (Ranch Dog) has as earned as mold maker began here. He never acquired a big name in the mold manufactures world as I see it. When I pick a mold out of a catalog for my use. Quite often its designer is not mentioned. Just the manufactures description on its container and a little engraving to help I.D. the molds purpose. So I kinda expect down the road too see designs similar perhaps to Ranch Dogs claims to fame. But not really knowing for sure? {about its design author.} It isn't all that important for me to know. That's what the court systems in this Country are to correct.

O/M

Maximumbob54
07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Ranch Dog used to run his own web store. He designed everything and had Lee make special runs of all of it. I had money issues at the time when I discovered that store or I would have bought two of each of just about all of it. He put a lot of effort into his designs to the point that I've read in many places you won't find a better bullet than his for .30-30 loads. I won't put him up to the level of Elmer but IMHO he did wonders for those of us that have tried his products. Something as simple as his ordering the rifle version of the FCD modified to work with revolver cartridges is part of why I wonder that Lee isn't just selling his designs. I think if more people knew about his various offerings then he would have been even busier than he was most of the time. And he was always courteous to those of us that only had half the knowledge of what we were doing when we asked for advice. I'm going to stop now because I sound too much like a fanboy and I'm getting way too offended by this thread every time I see it.

texassako
07-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Along your lines of thinking how would you know what I was shooting if I just told you it was a TL358-100-RF. Lee made it, but you are not going to find it anywhere on their site. If I add a bit more info and told you it was Ranchdog's design, you could search for it, see it, and even order it most likely from one of the custom mold makers using the drawing.

1Shirt
07-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Whats in a name, and for that matter who cares! Have 4 or 5 RD molds, & wish I had bought a couple more.
1Shirt!

Outpost75
07-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Lee makes inexpensive molds for the mass market, entry level caster who wants to give cast bullets a try on the cheap. Custom work is not his "rice bowl" and detracts from production capacity of his standard line products, which he is already selling everything he can make. For Lee to do custom work is a negative profit and capacity decision and is not good business. His doing it that way creates a market for Accurate, JT, etc. and enables them to share that piece of the market, of us who can tell the difference between quality, and quantity for the unsophisticated novices.

Different strokes for different folks. The market is strong enough to support both types of users, if we let it.

Hamish
07-11-2013, 02:20 PM
:violin: "Time too bury that old Ranch Dog moniker once and for all!!" What say you? O/M

I say you've not read enough of the stickies and a lack of an appreciation of one of the pioneers of this site and cast bullet design in general. Why you would even decide to troll the OP to start with is beyond my understanding.

Not only rude, but tacky.

jmort
07-11-2013, 02:25 PM
^ This pretty well sums it up.

Jim
07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
..... "Time too bury that old Ranch Dog moniker once and for all!!" What say you?

O/M

Well, since you asked.....

Nobody here has said you should identify Ranch Dog's molds as such. Why would you suggest the rest of us should not? When you judge others based on your personal opinion, you'll find that returned.

blikseme300
07-11-2013, 04:28 PM
This thread is out of line and disrespectful of the great work RD did for cast boolits.

Tazman1602
07-11-2013, 04:31 PM
No offense but I'm thinking NOT. Micheal has been a pioneer in the field of cast bullet design for lever rifles and a HUGE help to me personally over on the Rossi forum. I have several of his designs, one of which is a lube groove copy of his 265 grain bullet for the 444 Marlin and it is the single BEST design I've shot in that rifle along with being a deer killing monster.

RD forever!

Art

:violin: It has come to my attention on more than one occasion. Why do reloaders bother to mention or use {Ranch Dog} in a molds description. Wouldn't a Lee replacement product be more satisfactory? For those relying on the information we comment about. I for one think its more appropriate to promote a current business's product with its current product description. Rather than one out of the past no longer in existence. {Ranch Dog Molds has been a defunct business for a couple years already.} "Time to move on!!" {Yes I know a few of Ranch Dog's designs are still available from Lee Molds.} But hardly ever is that availability info mentioned in someone's comments. "Time too bury that old Ranch Dog moniker once and for all!!" What say you?

O/M

Jupiter7
07-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I identify his design if I reference them, mostly because his designs are cloned by other mold makers like noe and the such, I.e... 311-165RD or noe clone of ranch dog 311-165. If didn't, 311-165rnfp could be just about any 30-30 design. He earned the respect, I'll give it to him as I see fit, do as you like.

Side note, ranch dog(Michael) just did a series of group buys for his designs to be cut by lee. Also, Michael gave his designs to lee to share with the rest of us. Many of his designs are common group buys here from other makers, there's a reason, his designs are good and work well.

mdi
07-11-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm suspect of this thread/OP. Why would anyone bring up such a worthless subject/idea? The answers relating to Keith, Loverin, and ohers is spot on and how many times have we read/heard of "Skeeter loads"? Ranch Dog has contributed more to our sport than just designing a bullet type.

I bought Ranch Dog molds from Ranch Dog's web site and used Ranch Dog's load data to develop ammo for all my .44s. Just like a bunch of other items sold by and designed by one person, Ranch Dog's molds were made to his specs. for sale under his name, by Lee. I will continue to call my molds Ranch Dog...

Ranch Dog continues to contribute to all aspects of casting and shooting shooting. I believe he "runs" a couple forums dedicated to shooting, casting, and a reloading equipment manufacturer (http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/index.php http://www.lee-loader.com/index.php)

WILCO
07-11-2013, 06:20 PM
I say you've not read enough of the stickies and a lack of an appreciation of one of the pioneers of this site and cast bullet design in general. Why you would even decide to troll the OP to start with is beyond my understanding.

Not only rude, but tacky.

I'm glad he posted something negative. Shines light on a tried and true product while keeping it alive and one of those "Desired Items" for a boolit caster to have. Besides, the name is still cool as heck! [smilie=s:

OverMax
07-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Some of you fellows are letting your emotions get the best of you. Try to be civil please.

All I know is when some other opens a popular tread topic. So many fellows comment on & about their no longer available Ranch Dog molds. What purpose does that info serve the reading public? Perhaps a newbe to this site has no idea of, who, what, where , & when, Ranch Dog Molds even existed.{ And perhaps doesn’t care.} That’s the best way to turn people away from reading this sites overall interesting subject matter.
Quite a few people that drop in here for a read as indeed I. Are out to gleam what info may apply to their particular application/s. Why waste some others and my time commenting on a defunct business product? I’m quite sure the past owner of Ranch Dog molds no longer needs the free advertisement.

BTW your spot on about those Sticky's needing to be read by ALL. But how many folks are willing to spend the time? or find it necessary too? That’s a decision we all contemplate at one time or another.

Per texassako , Along your lines of thinking how would you know what I was shooting if I just told you it was a TL358-100-RF. Lee made it, but you are not going to find it anywhere on their site.
{ It’s a tumble lubed 38 caliber 100 gr. Round Nose, Flat based bullet.}

Per Jupiter7 Side note, ranch dog(Michael) just did a series of group buys for his designs to be cut by lee. Also, Michael gave his designs to lee to share with the rest of us. Many of his designs are common group buys here from other makers, there's a reason, his designs are good and work well.

RDs designs freely shared: That voluntary effort by Mr. Michael probably will benefit many here. Not me personally.

O/M

btroj
07-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Am I still allowed to talk about a Gould HP from Lyman? A Louverin style bullet? A Thompson or Keith bullet for a 44 mag?

When did we stop using a proper name to describe something just because it wasn't in production and longer or being promoted publicly by the innovator for whom it is named?

This thread is silly. A 425 RD mould for 45-70 will always be a 425 RD mould. What else are we call it? It is what it is.

Is a 67 Corvette no longer a 'Vette just because it is no longer in production?

jonas302
07-11-2013, 10:17 PM
A Ranch Dog mold is what it is period don't like it to bad want one go on ebay or watch the selling sections Don't have one quit crying about it also as far as I know He is still a member here but busy with his own forum

warf73
07-12-2013, 02:09 AM
I just finished up a GB on the TL358-100-RF mold and before starting said GB I ask Michael aka Ranch Dog for permission to run his design. Guess I didn’t have to but felt I should out of respect to the man who designed and perfected it.

What I don't understand is why it’s such a hang up for anyone when someone says “I use a 100gr RD in my 380acp.” No different than threads talking about the H&G 68 mold which hasn’t been mass produced in over 2 decades (guessing not sure really). A guy can get the specs for either mold design and have it custom cut if so desired.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of running the TL358-100-RF again later in the year for the folks who missed out on the last GB. And I plan on asking Michael again if it’s still OK to run a GB using his design before starting the GB.

Hamish
07-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Methinks thee has a stone in thy heart against the Ranch Dog for some unbeknownst reason. Else why wouldst thou post the OP?

waksupi
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
My most used molds are from custom designs here, or Mountain Molds. The remainder are out of print production molds. So, I shouldn't talk about any of these?

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Credit should be given where it is due. Ranch Dog designed some molds that really work nice. I give credit to the original mold designers such as Keith, Gibbs, etc.

I vote to keep the Ranch Dog alive!

sundog
07-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Michael not only designed some durn good boolits, he shared A LOT of information with us. He did yeoman's duty for quite a spell. He is one of us.

ssnow
07-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Bury the Dog? Bury the history? Bury the truth? Ignore the fact just because some do not recognize the meaning of "Ranch Dog"? Ridiculous !!!

If you want to make the point that the newbies don't recognize the Ranch Dog designation, Okay. Point taken, you are correct.

But they don't recognize H&G or any other brand or designer either. If they want to know, they learn, they ask the question. For those who do know, then the Ranch Dog designation is very descriptive, and adds value to the description.

Shameless Ad Alert>>>>I am currently looking for a 2 cavity H&G 275 BB mold, and a 2 cavity H&G 68 BB mold. If anyone has one of these molds you are willing to part with, please send me a PM.

Now, both of these molds are old and discontinued. Anyone reading along who does not know what molds I'm talking about can't help me, because they don't have them. But I can't describe them any other way, and still convey my exact meaning.

It is the same way with Ranch Dog designed molds. It adds a description that has meaning, to those who understand the meaning. That it is not understood by all, cannot be helped, it's just the way it is. But those who wish can learn. To fail to give credit where it is due, is a disservice to the man, and to those who do understand the meaning.

runfiverun
07-12-2013, 11:40 AM
he is still an active member here.
oh he is still designing and having molds built too.
just not for marlins, he recently sent in design plans for a 454 casull mold for the rossi leverguns.
they went to LEE as usual.
as much work as michael put into designing, testing, trying, and tweaking those molds before ever putting them out for sale he EARNED the right for his name to be associated with each and every one of those molds.

mdi
07-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Well, when I was new around here and I heard/read something I didn't understand, I researched it. If I were to read something that I did not understand, and did nothing to find meaning, that has nothing to do with the quality of information available on Castboolits,or the members' responses to my questions, it's a reflection on my inability to think for my self. If I read about a new to me item (which I did w/Ranchdog molds) I would read the stickies (which I did) and google Ranch Dog (which I did). I found good quality bullet molds designed specifically for my rifle and the molds were designed to alleviate the problem I was having (oversize bore of a .44 Mag. Puma).

Right now I just think OverMax is enjoying stirring up some folks, anonymously, or has a need to be recognized....

OverMax
07-12-2013, 05:08 PM
I thought this was an open forum. Where idea's and questions could be brought to light and discussed in a positive way. Unintentionally I struck a nerve with many of you concerning a past sponsor. This thread was critiqued to high heaven and insults written. Not on my part I’m pleased to say. As far as the pioneer person you all refer too. I’ve never been introduced too Mr. Michael. Bought one, or ever seen one of his products. Nor am I inferring Mr. Michael doesn’t deserve the respect you all agree he should be shown. {as should everyone else be treated the same.} As per Mr. Michael doing so much to promote new and interesting designs in bullet molds. My common sense tells me Mr. Michael has been and perhaps still is being compensated for his efforts. Which in all honestly is none of my business.

In hindsight: I asked why? I never said anyone couldn’t or shouldn’t do what they desire. A few members did comment on my question in a reasonable decent manner. Many did not.

Per waksupi: My most used molds are from custom designs here, or Mountain Molds. The remainder are out of print production molds. So, I shouldn't talk about any of these?

Since you’re a publicly known figure in custom traditional rifle building. {also a current sponsor & vendor here on C/B's} That said. Any information waksupi were to pass on would be greatly appreciated on this end. If indeed I were to question one of your comments Sir? I would do so in a reasonable, polite, and mannerly way.

Right now I just think OverMax is enjoying stirring up some folks, anonymously, or has a need to be recognized

This type of comment isn't welcomed nor will it be tolerated. {It certainly will cause others to think along the same lines.} How does a comment like the (above) have anything to offer the subject at hand? Everyone has a right to their opinions. But not too purposely accuse another member of wrong doing. That effort belongs and rightly should be at Staff discretion.

I am done with this thread. And with its judgmental commentators.

O/M

btroj
07-12-2013, 05:54 PM
I ever met Elmer Keith and he was compensated for his work but I would NEVER discount the value of what he did for the shooting world.

I beg to differ on the politeness of your remarks. The very notion that Michael and his work is no longer relevant is insulting. Ever think we came to his defense because we know better than you?

Judgemental is the way I would describe the OP, we were merely putting you back in your place.

btroj
07-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Oh, and a mod might want to close this thread before one of us gets an infraction. Somehow I don't see the OP making friends here. It could get ugly, fast.

He ain't seen judgmental yet.....

fishhawk
07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
I do believe that would be in the best interest for all......