PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a Good Day Coming

Bzcraig
07-11-2013, 01:14 AM
I have read several post recently about some of you coming across some good deals on lead which has caused me some envy. I may have my day coming. I recently came across a 27 ft sailboat that I am being told probably has 700 to 800 lbs of lead in the hull and I have access to the boat for free. At the same time I did a fairly significant favor for a friend who has offered a 1988 produced Marlin 336 30-30 scoped and in great shape in return, which I was not expecting. I'm excited! I will post pics once they are in my hands. I do however have a question; what would be the best way to access the possible lead in the hull? If it is not lead, I can just walk away from it, so I would like to be able to drill a hole/cut a hole for a quick check before I commit to moving the boat so I can mine the lead out of it. [smilie=w:

blaze blaze
07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
In most sailboats of that size , I think, would have the lead in/on/attached to the Keel not in the hull. You shouldn't have to drill into the hull.

Bzcraig
07-12-2013, 12:27 AM
In most sailboats of that size , I think, would have the lead in/on/attached to the Keel not in the hull. You shouldn't have to drill into the hull.

Don't know much about sailboats but was told it has a 'swing' keel which if I understand correctly means the ballast is in the hull since the keel isn't fixed.