PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a Good Day Coming

Bzcraig
07-11-2013, 01:12 AM
I have read several post recently about some of you coming across some good deals on lead which has caused me some envy. I may have my day coming. I recently came across a 27 ft sailboat that I am being told probably has 700 to 800 lbs of lead in the hull and I have access to the boat for free. At the same time I did a fairly significant favor for a friend who has offered a 1988 produced Marlin 336 30-30 scoped and in great shape in return, which I was not expecting. I'm excited! I will post pics once they are in my hands. I do however have a question; what would be the best way to access the possible lead in the hull? If it is not lead, I can just walk away from it, so I would like to be able to drill a hole/cut a hole for a quick check before I commit to moving the boat so I can mine the lead out of it. [smilie=w:

hawaii five-0
07-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Drill a few holes to check if it is lead, and where it starts/stops. Get out your resperator, dust suit, and chain saw - and chop away. Watch out for the steel bolts near the top. Sledge hammer and axe can help flake away any glass left on it or at the top. It's messy. Count on lots of lead dust(about 45 lbs per slice in the solid areas)