PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question on hollow point mould boolit weights???

Russel Nash
07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

I did look down in the group buy section in an effort to answer my question.

I shoot USPSA and IDPA competitions. I do have a USPSA open gun in 9mm Major. It would be great if I had a mould for a 115 grain to 125 grain boolit, that I could then bake on a powder coat finish and shoot at about 1,300 to 1,400 fps.

Soooo.... I know some of the moulds you can turn the pins around and make it like a truncated cone boolit. So what would the weights be, hollow point vs. non-hollow point, in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP?

I like a 147 grain boolit for the other USPSA divisions, like Production, at minor power factor, about 850 fps. I don't necessarily need a hollow point mould in .40 and .45, butttt.... I am sure the bowling pins would go down better with a .45 hollow point bullet. My one club has bowling pin matches every Sunday.

Thanks in advance for your input/advice.

KYShooter73
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
After powder coating bullets from my lee .356-125 weigh an average of 115.5gn. My lee .452-228 weigh an average of 216gn. This is running straight COWW, both molds from Erik at hollowpointmolds.com. Hope that helps.

Russel Nash
07-13-2013, 01:46 AM
Great! Thanks!

What I was hoping to do was have one mould that with the hollow point pins in the bullet weighs close to 125 grains. Then with the pins out, the boolit weighs closer to 147 grains.

But everything is a compromise.

I have a Lyman 4 banger mould that drops a 147-ish bevel base boolit. That is typically too heavy for a USPSA open gun. You want a lighter weight bullet with say HS6 powder. That in turn produces more gas to work the compensator. That keeps the gun shooting flat, you're able to get the red dot back on target quicker.

KYShooter73
07-13-2013, 02:48 AM
Wish I could help you further, but I don't have any but the hollow point pins. After some more weighing, looks like the hollow point removes about 9 grains and powder coating adds about 1.2. I may have to hit you up on some USPSA rule questions later on, just not had the ammo to shoot or the money to travel lately.

1_Ogre
07-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Great! Thanks!

What I was hoping to do was have one mould that with the hollow point pins in the bullet weighs close to 125 grains. Then with the pins out, the boolit weighs closer to 147 grains.

But everything is a compromise.

I have a Lyman 4 banger mould that drops a 147-ish bevel base boolit. That is typically too heavy for a USPSA open gun. You want a lighter weight bullet with say HS6 powder. That in turn produces more gas to work the compensator. That keeps the gun shooting flat, you're able to get the red dot back on target quicker.

Erik can do a HP mod and provide you with two pin sets. One will be for HP's, and the second will simply plug the hole and give you as close to original boolits as an unmodified mould. Erik is great and his work is flawless.

Russel Nash
07-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Wish I could help you further, but I don't have any but the hollow point pins. After some more weighing, looks like the hollow point removes about 9 grains and powder coating adds about 1.2. I may have to hit you up on some USPSA rule questions later on, just not had the ammo to shoot or the money to travel lately.

Yeah, you can hit me up any time on the USPSA rules questions, no problem-oh.

I guess you have already been to the USPSA.org website and seen the .pdf version of the rulebook here:

http://www.USPSA.org/uspsa-rules.php

Thanks for the "gouge" on the weight differences.

EDIT: don't get me wrong about posting the rulebooks link. You can still feel free to ask me questions. The rulebook is written for DRL's (that's D _ _ n Range Lawyers) and is otherwise a good cure for insomnia.