PDA

View Full Version : Question On Lyman 450 Replacement Parts

trky chsr
07-10-2013, 08:58 PM
I picked up an older Lyman 450 (it's grey if that helps) at an auction and not knowing anything about them I consulted the instruction guide I got with my case cleaner. It has an exploded diagram of the 450. I first noticed I was missing the sizer retaining nut and without checking for more missing pieces I ordered one from Lyman. Shortly afterward I realized I was missing the reservoir cover and then playing around with it the pressure screw came out (it broke at the bottom). So I noticed you can buy a rebuild kit from Lyman which I got. Now for my question. In the rebuild kit the seal plug is a separate unit whereas on my sizer it "appears" like the seal plug is either permanent or screwed in place. It has tiny serations all around the edge. The new pressure screw fits perfectly and the unit seems like it will work as is. So do these plugs come out of the older units or are they "fixed"? Also the kit came with a round chunk of nylon about an inch long which appears to fit over the pressure screw but the diagram doesn't show it. Maybe it's for a different model? As you can tell I haven't started casting yet , I'm still gathering equipment before I begin this journey. TC

07-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I can't address seal plug question, as I use a 4500, however . . . The "nylon piston stop collar", part number 24, is a 4500 update and works in the 450, too. It fits over the pressure screw and prevents the pressure nut from bottoming out on the pressure screw. The 4500's exploded drawing is on page 69, of your "instruction guide".

GP100man
07-10-2013, 11:51 PM
The plug you speak of is "staked in" & can be knocked out if needed ,but seems ya got it going .
Mine have been knocked out & leak .remedied by a cardboard & innertube gasket under the bases .

As stated the white nylon is to keep the pressure screw from runnin off the threads (what a PIA to get it caught back).
Anyways it sounds as if you may be using a "hard lube" if so applying a bit of heat will help flow ,but it`s a balancing act of heat/pressure to not end up with a mess !!!

Here`s a pic of the handle/linkage update ,think it`s around 20.00 or so +shippin.
It replaces the older style bicycle grip linkage .

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0564.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/102_0564.jpg.html)

Ed_Shot
07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
I've been real happy with the Lyman piston replacement kit for my 450. On mine, the bottom plug for the reservoir came out easy and I used a piece of cardboard under the new plug when I remounted it . I've had no leaks but that added piece of inner tube for gasket material sounds like a good advice. I use White Label 2500+ for both rifle and pistol and it works great. Ordered the Lyman handle upgrade a couple of days ago.

trky chsr
07-11-2013, 08:06 PM
The plug you speak of is "staked in" & can be knocked out if needed ,but seems ya got it going .
Mine have been knocked out & leak .remedied by a cardboard & innertube gasket under the bases .

As stated the white nylon is to keep the pressure screw from runnin off the threads (what a PIA to get it caught back).
Anyways it sounds as if you may be using a "hard lube" if so applying a bit of heat will help flow ,but it`s a balancing act of heat/pressure to not end up with a mess !!!

Here`s a pic of the handle/linkage update ,think it`s around 20.00 or so +shippin.
It replaces the older style bicycle grip linkage .

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0564.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/102_0564.jpg.html)

Thanks for the replies. Actually I haven't started the casting process yet, I'm still acquiring "stuff". TC

ubetcha
07-12-2013, 07:13 PM
YIKES. I just broke my 450 handle not less than 15mins ago. I just received a RCBS .314 sizing die and was installing it in the luber.The die only went maybe half way in and got stuck.Broke the handle trying to get the die to come back out. It appears to have been cracked anyway due to the dark area at the break.When I finally got the die out ,I found out the bottom of the die measure .704 and the upper before the retainer ring measures .702. Compared to my other lyman and RCBS dies,this one is about .002 oversize and sticks in the bottom opening.. Not a big concern as long as I can talk one of my sons in to taking it to work and take a few thou off. Now to get the handle replaced or fixed.