PDA

View Full Version : Wash out!

Jim
07-10-2013, 04:49 PM
About 2 PM today it started raining. And, brother did it rain! I don't have a rain gauge, but I would guess it was about 3 inches. When it tapered off enough I could get out to the truck without being swept down stream, I went down the road to see if I still had a road.

It's still there, but there ain't much left. I made it through in my truck, but I don't think Janet's Saturn Vue would.

freebullet
07-10-2013, 04:51 PM
So yer gonna stock it with trout?

williamwaco
07-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Ah, the joys of home ownership!

Something always needs fixing.

I live in town so I don't have that problem but I envy you.

JeffinNZ
07-10-2013, 06:30 PM
It ain't a wash out till you can stand in it up past your waist. :kidding:

L Ross
07-10-2013, 08:54 PM
We had a bit of rain here, be three weeks ago tomorrow. Still have road closures around. The worst landslides has 25 feet of debris on a State Highway. On this last Monday they were blasting the last three rocks the size of dump truck boxes so's they could haul them away. Our place had 9" in three days, but just 14 miles southwest of here the got 16", six inches of that in less than an hour. I didn't know it could rain that hard.
Jim, your washouts look positively normal right now. A lot of our driveways looked just like that, challenging on a motorcycle.

Duke

btroj
07-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Somebody is in the market for some crushed rock......

John Allen
07-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Jim, I am with freebullet you need to stock that sucker and move the road somewhere else!

472x1B/A
07-10-2013, 09:17 PM
As my ol' man would say, "Half a truck load of brick-bats and some reject rock, it'll never happen again." Most of the time he was true to his word, but we sure went though alot of bats and reject rock on our farm.

Hickory
07-10-2013, 09:19 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Train-derails-in-NW-Ohio-amid-storm-no-one-hurt-4657683.php

Train derailed near me during storm.

TXGunNut
07-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Around here and points West of here we get excited when we smell rain this time of year.

Boerrancher
07-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Jim, what the heck man? That is how my drive way looks all the time. When it gets bad enough that I can't get the 4WDs out then I get the tractor and blade after it a bit. I will tell you all a secret... If you keep your drive way looking like that, you don't get many visitors except the ones you want.

Best wishes,

Joe

**oneshot**
07-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Sorry to see that Jim. I wish this rain would let up.

JeffinNZ
07-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Jim, what the heck man? That is how my drive way looks all the time. When it gets bad enough that I can't get the 4WDs out then I get the tractor and blade after it a bit. I will tell you all a secret... If you keep your drive way looking like that, you don't get many visitors except the ones you want.

Best wishes,

Joe

See, told you weren't washed out. :-)

Jim
07-11-2013, 07:18 AM

Best wishes,

Joe

We didn't get any visitors when it was in good condition! I can navigate it in my truck, that's not the problem. I don't think Janet's Saturn Vue is going to get by until I get a load of stone delivered and get a tractor and bucket up here to fill in the ruts.

bikerbeans
07-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Buy her a canoe, might be cheaper than the stone.:D

BB

pdawg_shooter
07-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Sure wish you folks would send your excess rain out here. It is so dry the WEEDS are dying.

mroliver77
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM
You dont own a tractor Jim?Lots of country folk here have a tractor with a blade. Also a stone pile is standard fare. As mentioned bricks, concrete etc are stockpiled for such times.

Very flat here but it was a swamp 200 years ago. Without constant maintenance it would soon be a swamp again. When city folk drive fast down my lane and throw stone I get irritated quick like!.
Jay

shdwlkr
07-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Like joe said the drive that looks like that keeps the less desirable types out and that is a good thing. Now driving a car on that drive does require some talent but that can be learned over time.

WILCO
07-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I don't think Janet's Saturn Vue is going to get by until I get a load of stone delivered and get a tractor and bucket up here to fill in the ruts.

Sounds like it's time to go "Joey Chitwood" and build Janet a set of ramps! :bigsmyl2:

oldred
07-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Jim I am not far to the West of you and we got the same thing here, my road is in at least that bad of a condition and we can barely get in and out with our Ranger 2 wheel drive pick up -it's hopeless for our car (Infinity). I waited until today to attempt fixing it because of the weather forecast but it looks now like it is probably over for a while so I guess I know what I will be doing all day tomorrow!