PDA

View Full Version : House breaking puppy suggestions

Boz330
07-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Got a new pup a little over a month ago and I thought that the house breaking was going pretty well till the last week or so. The problem is that she hasn't figured out a method of letting us know when she has to go out. If you are watching her she gets fidgety and it is somewhat obvious but if not then she goes in the house. She doesn't make any attempt at notifying you. I have house broken 5 previous dogs and they all figured out how to let you know but that seems to be escaping this pup. For the first couple weeks it is a given that you have to be vigilant but I've never had one go this long without being pretty reliable letting you know.
Any tricks or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

popper
07-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Get a MALE CAT. She will continue to act that way, a female.

john hayslip
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
I've had quite a few female dogs and I don't think they are ever completely house trained until about 18 months. Still the occasional accident til then.

starnbar
07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Some dogs take longer than others just keep an eye on her until she can start telling you. I all ways let mine out right after I feed em and before they get put up for the night and first thing in the morning once they get into the routine its not hard to see when they need time outside.

KYShooter73
07-10-2013, 12:40 PM
After an accident, just scolding and throwing her out the door has always worked for me. Wait till she scratches to come back in, she will eventually scratch to go out.

quack1
07-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Make sure she doesn't have a urinary infection. The lab I have now was having accidents long past the age he should have been housebroken. Asked the vet and he said UTI, and after some antibiotics, Blesk never had another accident in the house.
A previous dog never did learn to let us know when he wanted let out. The most he ever did was sit and stare at you for a while when he had to go. Just like training a dog to retrieve-watch the body language and you can usually tell what the dog is thinking.

HATCH
07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
I have a lab that will be 2 years in OCT.
She has been house trained since she was 3 months old. She has NEVER took a **** in the house. She did pee in the house but she hasn't in over a year.

Get a crate or cage.
When you take the puppy out the cage in the morning you take them outside. When they do their business you give them a treat.
If they do their business inside you tell them NO and then you take them outside.

retread
07-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Patience and perseverance. Just got through that. Mine is 7 months olds now and been good for 5 months. Got spoiled on the previous one, had only one accident after bringing him home at 8 weeks, and that was it! Each one is different, just be firm but gentle and things will work out.

captaint
07-10-2013, 01:30 PM
What retread said about patience. Be vigilant. My daughter trained her dogs by putting a bell by the door they use to get outside. Any time she took them out, she would take their head or paws and hit the bell, then let them outside. It worked, very well. Now they just hit the bell and she lets them out !! Solved. Mike

Boz330
07-10-2013, 01:30 PM
After an accident, just scolding and throwing her out the door has always worked for me. Wait till she scratches to come back in, she will eventually scratch to go out.

Yeh that has always worked for me as well but this one is different. She hasn't figured out the scratching on the door yet either. This morning I started taking her paw and scratching on the door to go out and come back in. Her answer is to go around to the deck where she can look in the window and look pitiful. My other dogs would sit in front of you and stare and the last one would throw her head back and forth which meant I either have to go out or I want to play. If you asked if she wanted to go out she would head for the door, if not she wanted to play.
This one doesn't try to tell you she just squats or takes a dump most of the time out of sight. This isn't all the time just every now and then but it is beyond what I ever had to do before. She gets to go out plenty and always after eating and before bed. She gets through the night just fine and usually isn't in a hurry in the morning when she does go out.
If we see her getting restless we let her out but she can't be watched every second. It has just been baffling and somewhat frustrating.

Bob

montana_charlie
07-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Crate training a puppy is the most efective method I have ever tried, and it has been used for my last two dogs. The Border Colie we have now spends more time in the house than any of our previous dogs ... and he has never had an accident ... not once.
The idea of crate training is that a pup will do everything he can to avoid soiling the place where he is lying.

So, initially, the 'crate' is just barely big enough for him to lie comfortably. Enlarge his 'space' as he grows to fill it.
Either switch to a larger container, or find a way to restrict the interior of one which is large enough to accomodate him when full grown.

He should be in the crate during any period where you are not actually watching him, and he should be taken outside frequently to relieve himself ... always outside of the house.
In addition, it works best if you 'take' him out ... rather than just 'letting' him out. Your presence, and praise, help him to associate the 'neat-ness' of the outdoors; the pleasure of your company; AND the relief in his gut ... all happening at the same time.

Let him out on your schedule ... not when he cries to be out.
If possible, pick moments when he is playing with a toy, or asleep, to 'unexpectedly' allow him to come out for a trip outside ... or just to 'socialize' for a while.
And, don't put him in the crate, then hang around to pet him through the wire.
Lock him up and leave ... or let him out and keep an eye on him.
Done properly, the pup will grow up thinking of that crate as 'his private place' where nobody bothers him. He will willingly enter, and happily come out to join you.

He should spend his nights in the crate, but you need to let him out a couple of times to help him prevent soiling his quarters.
As he (and his bladder) grows, he will be able to last all night with ease as long as you give him a final run late in the evening just before crating him up for the night.

Your problem is that you should have started this a month ago.
Correcting problems after they have become habitual is MUCH harder than preventing them to start.

Still, it is what I would do.
Get a book on the subject so you have something to refer to during the process ...

Wait till she scratches to come back in, she will eventually scratch to go out.
And ... she will eventually scratch the finish off of both sides of your door.
I don't see the value in training a dog to damage your house.

CM

FishingFool
07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I hung a bell from a string around my closet door knob. Every time it was time to go pee I'd take his paw and to ring the bell. Once in the morning, once when I come home, and once before bed time. He was crated when i went to work. Then I would leash him up and bring him outside to do his business. I never walked him within an hour of those times. Never wanted to associate the bell with walks otherwise the dog will ring that bell non stop.

When I got my bitch she took about 2 weeks to learn from the other dog. My oldest dog is now 5 years old. Without fail he rings that bell when he needs to. Now both dogs stay inside and are free to roam the house when I'm gone. No accidents unless they ate something bad and had the runs.

Boz330
07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Crate training a puppy is the most efective method I have ever tried, and it has been used for my last two dogs. The Border Colie we have now spends more time in the house than any of our previous dogs ... and he has never had an accident ... not once.
The idea of crate training is that a pup will do everything he can to avoid soiling the place where he is lying.

So, initially, the 'crate' is just barely big enough for him to lie comfortably. Enlarge his 'space' as he grows to fill it.
Either switch to a larger container, or find a way to restrict the interior of one which is large enough to accomodate him when full grown.

He should be in the crate during any period where you are not actually watching him, and he should be taken outside frequently to relieve himself ... always outside of the house.
In addition, it works best if you 'take' him out ... rather than just 'letting' him out. Your presence, and praise, help him to associate the 'neat-ness' of the outdoors; the pleasure of your company; AND the relief in his gut ... all happening at the same time.

Let him out on your schedule ... not when he cries to be out.
If possible, pick moments when he is playing with a toy, or asleep, to 'unexpectedly' allow him to come out for a trip outside ... or just to 'socialize' for a while.
And, don't put him in the crate, then hang around to pet him through the wire.
Lock him up and leave ... or let him out and keep an eye on him.
Done properly, the pup will grow up thinking of that crate as 'his private place' where nobody bothers him. He will willingly enter, and happily come out to join you.

He should spend his nights in the crate, but you need to let him out a couple of times to help him prevent soiling his quarters.
As he (and his bladder) grows, he will be able to last all night with ease as long as you give him a final run late in the evening just before crating him up for the night.

Your problem is that you should have started this a month ago.
Correcting problems after they have become habitual is MUCH harder than preventing them to start.

Still, it is what I would do.
Get a book on the subject so you have something to refer to during the process ...

And ... she will eventually scratch the finish off of both sides of your door.
I don't see the value in training a dog to damage your house.

CM

That is pretty much what I'm doing. This is the 4th dog that I have used the crate with and I agree that it has always been easier and she doesn't mess in the crate. The last dog scratched at the door to come in, it's aluminum and easily painted although I would prefer not to deal with it. A couple swipes of paint is less hassle than cleaning the carpet. As I said before this isn't my first rodeo, but this one is proving to be a challenge. She doesn't seem to be a dumb dog but all of the rest over the years have come up with a way to notify me of there needs.

Bob

dagger dog
07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm another for crate training, if you can't keep your eye on the pup 100% of the time it needs to be in a crate or on a short leash. They have a natural instinct that keeps them from soiling their "den" crate. The pup should be under watch 100% of the time it is out of the crate.

Don't threaten the pup with harsh words if it slips up, or make a big deal of the clean up 'cause they can mistake that for praise and it can enforce the habit of going in the wrong place, and don't use the crate for punishment, the pup will learn that the crate is it's "place" and will use it for it's sanctuary, the kitchen if possible is a good place because of it use and the pup won't feel left out of the daily routine.

As soon as you remove them from the crate go straight outside without stopping, and use the same words "outside" "pee" but always use the same word and repeat it the same way every time. Use the same part of the yard for the toilet, praise them once they do their business and as soon as they do take them back inside, that keeps the trip outside just for the toilet. Playtime and toilet time should be totally different trips and in different parts of the yard.

A lot of people think keeping the pup in a cage is cruel, but once the crate becomes the dogs den it will go their when it wants to be alone and when it's time for sleep.

I have a new pup she's 3 months so I know where you're coming from. I raised our last pup "the original dagger dog" out of a crate and was one of the easiest experiences for the pup and myself !

"I know of two facts in this world for sure, convertible tops will leak, and young dogs will pee on the floor" T.A. Hayes 1978

shooter93
07-10-2013, 06:05 PM
It just takes time and every dog is different. I have a 4 month old Border Collie now who does well....and then loses it...lol. I've never used a crate with any dog but we take them out often and watch them closely. Remember their bladders are small and simply can't hold it long. She's doing well at night and never goes but during the day if she's distracted a bit...oops. The last dog we had was a real trial to house break and then one day...she just knew and never went in the house again. My floors are all bullet proof so she can't really hurt anything like carpet. Hang in there.....some learn very fast...others don't

turmech
07-10-2013, 06:33 PM
I would repeat what the others said about crate training. And add don't let the puppy eat and drink at will. I don't me be cruel. Offer food and water periodically thought the day. Let the puppy have a chance to eat and drink its fill. Immediately when finished eating or drinking remove the food and/or water and take the puppy out side on a leash take it to the area you want the puppy to use the bathroom in the future. Don't let a lot of play during this time. Give it the command you wish to use for doing its business. If it goes potty good if not put back in the crate and repeat the process again unit the puppy potties. Once it does praise it and let it out of the crate to play until you offer food and/or water again. At which time repeat the process.

All dogs are different as stated as well. The two labs I had were potty trained in days. They were very smart dogs which I was able to make them like to learn by constantly training through out there lives. Both would make blind retrieves for several hundred yards, deliver game to hand and take hand signals on whistle commands.

A few of the hounds I have owned were harder to potty train. I always thought they just had to mark their territory regardless of them knowing where it was acceptable to use the potty.

tomme boy
07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
All of our dogs were trained the same way. We took them in the bed with us. NONE of them have went in the bed. We get up, take them out. During the day when not playing with them, they are in the crate sleeping. They get up, we take them out. Then before bed we take them out.

freebullet
07-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Crate training helps, but if you really want to stop it you'll need to train it to go "potty" or "poopoo" on command. I did this by going out with the pup and giving the "go ________" command & then giving praise & treats when they go. After only a few times of doing it the pup will catch on & try to go on your command even when it may not really have to go. I'm a certified textile cleaner, if you need stain removal advice for carpet or fabric send me a pm.

khmer6
07-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I trained my pups with those sheets you tape to the floor. Put it close to the backyard door. The pee and number2 on it. Slowly stop using it they will figure out they need to let someone know they want out

Boz330
07-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Well might have made a minor break through last night. The pup is Lab and Shepherd and naturally likes to chase anything. While coming in she discovered that there are big bugs flying around the porch lights which are fun to chase. She came up to my wife and sat down and stared at her. She took her out and she peed and then chased the bugs. She always takes a leak whenever she goes out so maybe she will associate the stare to going out for relief as well as fun.
I just never remember taking this long to house break a new pup. She doesn't do it regularly but just about the time you think she is there she slips up. She seems to have picked up on other commands so quick that I thought that this was going to be a slam dunk.

Bob

thekidd76
07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Easiest house-breaking we did was on our last pup. Bought a couple of Christmas bells from the craft store and put them on some string. We hung one on the front and back doors on the inside of the house. We would take her out initially about every couple hours, or after she ate, and as we would go by the door we would touch her nose on the bell and ring it, then take her straight to her spot. After about 7 days she was ringing the bell herself, and 18 months later she's still ringing it every time she has to go out. I know this has worked for others as well as I heard about it from my sister who used the same trick on several of her dogs.

KCSO
07-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Terrier, fox or jack russle are excellent house breakers, they can get up on anything! Bassett hound not so much.

Boz330
07-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Terrier, fox or jack russle are excellent house breakers, they can get up on anything! Bassett hound not so much.

:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Never had that sort of trouble from any of mine. One was prone to sleep on the couch once she thought everyone was asleep. She hated thunder storms after she got caught in a fire caused by a lightning strike. She would jump in bed with you and it was like one of those old vibrating beds and you couldn't get her out. Not sure that I blamed her much though.

Bob

grampa243
07-11-2013, 12:18 PM
lots of good info here. let me add just one tip.

when you clean up the mess. pee or pooh use a mix 2 parts of water and 1 part white vinegar.

it' is the best way to neutralize the odor(i was a pro carpet cleaner for 7 year we shared this with our customer all the time) and the dog will dislike the smell and be less likely to go there again.

i have used it with my own dogs when they were new to the house.

Gliden07
07-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Plus 1 on this!! This is how I trained my Chocolate. Best dog I ever had!! The only thing I would add to this is that make sure the inside of the Crate is not too large. It should be big enough for the Pup to go in and turn around comfortably. If its bigger than that she may still may "go" in the crate! I got a crate large enough to hold my Lab when he was full sized, I made it smaller with a Cardboard and broom handle divider and increased it in size as he grew. Worked very good!!

I have a lab that will be 2 years in OCT.
She has been house trained since she was 3 months old. She has NEVER took a **** in the house. She did pee in the house but she hasn't in over a year.

Get a crate or cage.
When you take the puppy out the cage in the morning you take them outside. When they do their business you give them a treat.
If they do their business inside you tell them NO and then you take them outside.