PDA

View Full Version : New Member Here

DLeeHarley
07-09-2013, 11:11 PM
I've been wanting to get into reloading for years now and kept putting it off. So as I was talking to one of my long, long time friends I found out that he had "some" equipment to sell. Sell long story short last week I purchased $1,300 worth of RCBS equipment for $600 ! Just about everything I'll be needing except the knowledge so that's where you All come in OK? LOL Oh and did I mention the equipment I bought, has NEVER been used before! How's that for a deal? So I'll be lurking around and trying to soak up all the info I can. Thanks for being here! Later,

Dennis in Idaho
"Those who talk, Don't do. Those who do, Don't Talk!"

theperfessor
07-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Welcome aboard mate. There is a ton of info here, so check out the "Classics and Stickies" and learn to use the search engine.

nhrifle
07-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Welcome to the madness! We have a little rule here on Castboolits -- without pics it didn't happen. Snap some of your gear so you can brag and we can drool.

Be sure and read through all the Stickies. Lots of good information there.

Shiloh
07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Welcome.

The good thing about a package deal like that, is you have it all in one fell swoop. Much of the reloading supplies these days are back ordered with uncertain delivery dates. You won't be sorry. Now, you need to read, read, read. Ask questions. I am a better reloader, produce better boolits, and shoot them better from info gleaned on these very pages. Thousands of years of collective wisdom here, and folks happy to share. Many of the finest people in the world are shooters and on this forum.

Shiloh

MrWolf
07-10-2013, 06:02 PM
^^^ what Shiloh said. Welcome here. Keep reading and learn from others but take everything with a grain of salt as it may not be applicable to your gun and circumstances.

wmitty
07-10-2013, 06:54 PM
DLH

Welcome to the asylum! Just a suggestion:if you are starting in "cold turkey" as far as reloading, there might be less of a frustration factor up front if you started with jacketed bullets. I'll bet most of the folks on this site started their reloading with jacketed rounds and then advanced to shooting cast. It was that way for me, at least... the taking up of cast boolit shooting was a post graduate course after I'd fired a few jacketed rounds down range. Casting is great fun, and the only way I can afford to shoot, now; but if you don't have someone who can point out the mistakes, it can be frustrating. Wish you the very best with the new hobby!

onehousecat
07-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Welcome aboard. When I started out, I learned a lot by reading the How To section of various manuals. I've been in the game a long time, but have found there is a tremendous amount of good information to be gotten on this forum.

digger44
07-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Welcome

Dale in Louisiana
07-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Welcome, buddy!

Good bunch here.

dale in Louisiana

dverna
07-10-2013, 08:26 PM
If you did not score any manuals on reloading that is a good investment to make - although there is a lot of info on the web nowadays. If you are a pistol shooter buy some commercial cast bullets to get you started. Casting. lubing and sizing can come later.

If you got some powder, I would dump any opened cans - the risk of cross contamination is not worth the risk. This is even more of a risk if your buddy did nearly no reloading - mistakes happen.

snoopy
07-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Congratulations on your "deal", IT SOUNDS REAL GOOD TO ME. Tons of info here, and I'm new also and I will second the motion of read,read, read. Oh yeah, and get more than one manual!

Wayne Smith
07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Hopefully there was at least one reloading manual in the haul that has relatively complete instructions on reloading. That basic primer is essential for the beginner. You should read it and read it again until you have no more questions. Then set stuff up and start making mistakes!

GP100man
07-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Welcome to :cbpour:

If ya like shooting ,you`ll love reloading & will soon find yaself "unloading" brass just to reload !!

Next level of addiction & "ALL THAT MONEY SAVINGS" will be watching the silver stream pour into Boolits !!!

Have FUN ,BE SAFE, any question `bout loads or procedures we`re here for ya !!

Remember WE ALL started somewhere (& lived) But it`s good to have a buddy close by to help also !!

GP

DLeeHarley
07-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Thank you all very much especially Dusty, I've picked up Speer's Reloading Manual #13, Modern Reloading by Richard Lee, a few of the One Book/One Caliber books (I know, i know) and will be buying the Hornady manual next. I'll probably end up with most all of them anyway. I love to learn so I'll be diving in to this head first. I already have put casting boolits on the back burner until I know what the he!! I'm doing. It's really good to know that I've got you all watching my back. I'll be around lurking and learning so keep up the teaching as some of us NEED it! Later

Dennis
"Those who Talk, Don't do. Those who Do, Don't Talk!"

ValorsMinion
07-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Howdy!

Welcome to the site. IMO Lyman has the best manuals. The 49th is my go to book for load data and has the best intro/overview of reloading imo. I find Hornady's manual useful as I shoot a lot of their bullets. I dont even check the lee book anymore. Most of the stuff in there is straight from the powder manufacturers free data. The instructional portion is useful if you use a lot of lee equipment though. When you get ready to get into casting, pick Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook.

I got into reloading after the last ammo shortage in 08/09 and just got into bullet casting due to this current shortage. The libs sure know how to sell guns and ammo, thats for sure. I should have gotten into both way sooner. I find both enjoyable and I am sure you will too. Plus you get to shoot more for the same money!

dbosman
07-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Welcome.
Ditto or +1 on all of the above.
The classics and sticky section is long and sometime tedious, but incredibly useful. Learn to use the search tool. If you don't find what you want that way, use Google and limit your search to this site.

As for initial reloading, if you can't find a local or even not so local mentor, commercial bullets is probably the way to start reloading. For a .38 swaged hollow base wad cutters are simple and very consistent. Trying to learn to load and cast is about like finishing building a car while you're driving it. It can be done.

My single tip for closing is - don't load a lot of anything, for a while. Load enough to test your skill and learning - but not enough to make you mad if you made a mistake or picked a bad load for your gun. Pulling bullets is not fun for me. Pulling bullets I cast is really annoying.

10mmShooter
07-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Welcome,

As everyone said....read read read :) and read some more. Also treat reloading and casting separately, I would work on the reloading piece first get that nailed down and then learn about casting.

wvmanchu
07-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Welcome,haven't been here long myself and have learned a lot. Started out about 20 years ago with a Lee Reloader, a scale, one set of dies and a reloading manual. It has now become an obsession, I wish you luck, I don't even try to fight the addiction anymore.

44man
07-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Dennis, you will do well here. Casting gets easy so don't out think yourself.
I was different and when I ordered a gun, I had the mold, dies and all else first. Nothing better then cast. To shoot what you make will make you a happy camper. You will shoot for pennies.
With time and experience you will out shoot the funny bullets.
None of us can find a thing today, powder and primers are here and there, bullets and gas checks are on Mars. Hang in there, when Obuma is gone we might be back.

Cherokee
07-14-2013, 06:53 PM
I'll add my welcome - you got a great deal. Lots of good opinions, mine is go slow, be careful, tripple check whatever you do, and use the starting loads to start with. Come back with any questions.

shadowcaster
07-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I'll echo all the excellent welcomes and advice that have been given! :) The only thing I will add is that for both reloading and casting.. it's only going to be a simple or complicated as you choose to make it. Start simple, enjoy your new past time, and be a sponge, soaking up all the knowledge you can.

Shad

obssd1958
07-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi Dennis!
Welcome to the site. There are several of us on this site that live in the Boise/Nampa area that are experienced casters and reloaders. I had the good fortune to have a mentor when I started reloading, and would highly recommend it!
If would be happy to help, if you need it.
Just send me a PM and I'll respond with my phone number.

Take care!

Don

steveo
07-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Welcome from Idaho!

PS Paul
07-24-2013, 09:09 PM
See what I mean, SteveO? Already seein' some members in your neck of the woods!

and welcome, DLee Harley!

steveo
07-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Welcome from Idaho!

Lights
07-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Welcome to the nut house of casting boolits. This is an addiction non-casters will never understand.

rockshooter
07-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Welcome! I'm in Meridian, retired, shoot 2-3 times a week, reload the other days. Have been reloading/casting for around 40 years- if you need some company/help, email to: abumpcat at hotmail dot com and I'll send phone #
Loren