PDA

View Full Version : Okay folks, fair warning...

Rocky Raab
07-09-2013, 03:14 PM
If you weren't aware of it, I retired from gun writing a while back. Done. Fini. Kaput.

As a result, I'm going to allow my webpage ---> removed due to virus after expired <--- to expire when my hosting agreement is up in October. You have 90 days to download and save anything you want from it (for personal use only, it's still copyrighted) because after Oct 5, it's gone.

Note: the page doesn't display properly in Internet Exploder, another reason why I'm killing it. Use Firefox or Chrome to view it.

aspangler
07-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks Rocky. I copied and pasted several of you articles to Word for future reference. Good stuff there!

wch
07-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks, Rocky.

Rocky Raab
07-09-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm making what amounts to a clean break from shooting. Sold most of my guns and reloading gear and haven't pulled a trigger in over a year. As a result, I don't expect to be posting again, but I'm deeply honored by the compliment.

Adios, friends.

lonewelder
07-09-2013, 05:55 PM
You will be missed

richhodg66
07-09-2013, 05:59 PM
I hope everything is OK. I'd wondered where you'd been, I've enjoyed your posts on handloads.com for a long time and more recently here. Thanks for all the knowlege I've gained from you.

cephas53
07-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

waksupi
07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
No need to run off, Rocky. We still talk about dogs, tractors, moonshining, and lots of other stuff here!

Hamish
07-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Bummer. Hope you get the urge again Rocky, and if you don't, thanks for all the choice stuff. Well done sir.

SciFiJim
07-10-2013, 01:41 AM
I've copied and saved a few items on your page before. Now I will make a systematic effort the get everything that I might need in the future.

Thanks for your efforts!

429421Cowboy
07-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Wow, seems like something I never would hear! You will be missed for the calm and logic you brought to load development help whenever I or anybody else asked! I hope you might get the itch again someday and join us here again.

Please take care in life's travels from here on out.
Cowboy.

fryboy
07-10-2013, 05:40 AM
i could echo many of the statements above ... the one i will is thank you amigo ! your articles , your typing , has helped me as well as some friends i turned on to it alot !may your path be straight and the road smooth and every sunrise warm,welcome and full of beauty , vaya con dios amigo

pmeisel
07-10-2013, 06:08 AM
Enjoyed your work, Rocky. Hope to hear from you somewhere, sometime.

w5pv
07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks,Stars and Stripes Forever

Char-Gar
07-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Rocky....Thanks for the contributions you have made to the sport and craft of handloading for they have been significant.

Being a student of human nature, I always wonder why folks made big changes in their lives, for there is always a reason. But that is your business, so I will just wish you well in your journey down the path of life.

jlchucker
07-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Good luck in your new endeavors, Rocky.

dougader
07-13-2013, 12:30 AM
I hope everything is ok, Rocky. Your contributions to the shooting sports and reloading, of course, have been extraordinary.

I'll miss your posts here, Rocky, and your spirit.

All the best to you in all future endeavors of every sort.

Doug
Oregon

smoked turkey
07-13-2013, 11:10 AM
We all have different seasons in our life. Sounds like you are going into another season. As you know, don't burn any bridges because you may want to come back this way. Thank you for all your choice input. I am among the group wishing you well and hoping your journey brings you back this way again.

Marvin S
07-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Like some people I was unaware of your accomplishments, so I went and done some reading. There is some interesting article's and such, thanks and good luck with your new path in life.

ddixie884
08-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Farewell and be well. Thanx for your support for the .41spl........

TCLouis
08-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Wonder if you can/would assign rights to host your articles/info on a sight that agrees to make it available to all?

NoZombies
08-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Wonder if you can/would assign rights to host your articles/info on a sight that agrees to make it available to all?

I asked, it's a no-go.

OnceFired
08-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I asked too, but haven't heard back. I don't need to own the rights, and could provide access to it on my site. It's a Wordpress blog, so it would be easy to keep all the articles under Rocky's name, and a nice compartmentalized area for him should he ever wish to dabble in the future.

WilliamDahl
08-08-2013, 03:13 PM
How large is the site and what is your monthly bandwidth? You might be able to archive it to one of the free sites out there or someone might volunteer to put it on their site for you.

Artful
08-08-2013, 10:42 PM
I admit I have used a couple of your articles as reference and wish to send appreciation.

I didn't know about the books - will have to see about giving you some of my limited reading time.

Curious about the other books you had thought about writing

Fiction—Young Men in Nomex The third novel in the Rusty Naille series. Rusty is now a jet instructor pilot back in the US. He soon learns that flying jets with novice pilots can be more dangerous than combat.

Fiction—Making a FAC The Rusty Naille prequel. From the moment he gets his orders until the day he arrives in Vietnam, nothing about being a FAC is what Rusty expects it to be.

Fiction—Canaveral Rose When you think of Cape Canaveral, you probably think of NASA. But the hardy settlers whose ancestors lived there for 300 years think of it as their home—until they are evicted by the US government.

OnceFired
10-09-2013, 01:48 AM
Hi all

Just a heads up that I managed to acquire the www.reloadingroom.com domain Rocky allowed to expire. I also managed to secure an HTML archive of the site using web crawling software. If we can get Rocky to reply (I never had the pleasure of knowing him) then we might be able to arrange for his content to continue a useful life perpetually upon my blog.

OnceFired

OnceFired
12-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Hmmm. Well, it turns out that my optimism was short-lived. This domain ended up going to auction despite showing up as a redirect to my website the day I made the post above. :(

The new owner has registered it privately. So there is currently no way to tell who has it at this point, or what they intend to do with it since right now it's getting the standard "this web page is parked by GoDaddy" message.

I do have the content from Rocky's site archived. If I can get permission from him, I am still quite happy to host it on my site to let it live on.

OnceFired

SciFiJim
12-02-2013, 01:41 AM
The new owner has registered it privately. So there is currently no way to tell who has it at this point, or what they intend to do with it since right now it's getting the standard "this web page is parked by GoDaddy" message.

Looks like GoDaddy will try to help you get the name for ONLY $80. They probably picked it up as it went available and are holding it for ransom hoping the former owner will pay to get it back.

I do have the content from Rocky's site archived. If I can get permission from him, I am still quite happy to host it on my site to let it live on.

You are a good man Oncefired.

Outpost75
12-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Rocky,

Understand exactly where you are. My neighbor went through a period where he didn't pop a cap for ten years after he retired from the job. Went entirely off the radar. Now finally in his later years he enjoys a few hours with patched ball muzzleloaders and vintage mil-surps. Got him to mess nite at Quantico tomeet old friends, went into DC to visit a few others at the wall. He's come out of his shell a bit and becoming more social.

Enjoy your space, you are in our prayers. Some day I'd love to read your article, "The guns I kept when I lost interest."

Fair winds and following seas, friend.

kevindtimm
12-04-2013, 06:18 PM
The good news is that pretty much any site that has disappeared is still available on the 'way back machine' - google it, you'll be amazed what you can find.

dougader
01-12-2021, 07:55 PM
I'm still baffled how someone so completely absorbed by this sport/hobby could just walk away.

Oh well... Rocky is missed.

quilbilly
01-13-2021, 12:59 AM
It happens. I was an outdoor writer about both hunting and fishing in several magazines and regular newspapers for over 25 years and walked away 15 years ago myself. Life happens and sometimes the muse that inspires you just disappears overnight.

Martin Luber
01-13-2021, 11:31 AM
Link? Sorry

SciFiJim
01-15-2021, 12:49 AM
Someone in 2013 mentioned finding it using the internet archives. Here is the link: https://web.archive.org/web/20130616064435/http://reloadingroom.com/

There is some really good information there.

TCLouis
01-15-2021, 01:03 AM
Wait a minute you still have to update us on rocket launches!

rintinglen
01-17-2021, 12:00 PM
https://web.archive.org/web/20130616064435/http://reloadingroom.com/

Sadly, most of the internal links don't work, but the excellent article on Reloading 101 still works. I strongly recommend it to anyone starting to reload.

Iowa Fox
01-19-2021, 01:35 AM
He had a good article on the 22 Hornet on his wesite

smithnframe
01-19-2021, 08:19 AM
What gun magazines have you written for?

Burnt Fingers
01-19-2021, 10:40 AM
What gun magazines have you written for?

Rocky was last on the site in July of 2013. I doubt he's going to answer your question.

This is one reason NOT to necro threads.