PDA

View Full Version : Mean looking Boolits!

Joel Chavez
10-04-2007, 12:21 AM
I casted these beauties a few days ago for my little boy's 30/30. They are the Lee 7.62x39 group buy mould my buddy Centex Bill loaned me. They are a gas check type, but I loaded them without since we aren't pushing them very fast. Hope to do a range test tomorrow after work. I'll post my results then. :castmine:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/jazr45acp/100_1105.jpg

1Shirt
10-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Have shot this blt. in both my 340 and M94(single loaded), sized .311, w/Lee Mule Snot, w/gas checks, for vols. around 1750. Shot well. Does look funny to see a 30-30 case loaded with a spitzer blt, and you sure would not want to give them to anyone who was not savy about lever guns.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Joel Chavez
10-04-2007, 08:45 AM
I would have to agree with you on that about lever guns. I've heard of what the outcome can or will be if one loads more than one in the mag tube. BOOM! comes to mind.:( I hope they shot as look or better than they look.:castmine: Later.

montana_charlie
10-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Have you figured out which one of your tools is leaving that deep scratch just below the neck?
CM

LarryM
10-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Have you figured out which one of your tools is leaving that deep scratch just below the neck?
CM

My guess is a case mouth deburr/campher tool.

Joel Chavez
10-04-2007, 01:45 PM
I think it's my Lee sizing die, but I'm not sure. That is next on the list of "figure out" stuff. Thanks for reminding me.:drinks: Hope to have a range report by tomorrow. Later.:-D

jhalcott
10-04-2007, 03:42 PM
A lot of "funny" looking pointy bullets get shot thru MY T/C Contender. Some times they even put round holes in the target!

trickyasafox
10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
its your lee chamfer and deburring tool. All my trimmed cases have it.

Joel Chavez
10-04-2007, 10:47 PM
How do I solve that issue? :castmine:

cattleskinner
10-04-2007, 10:57 PM
When you deburr the outside of your case mouths, it is just the bottom edge of the deburring tool rubbing the brass. I've never noticed that it made a big difference, but if you want to prevent it, just make sure that the tool doesn't touch the brass. Simple as that.

~Amos

454PB
10-05-2007, 12:44 AM
It's cosmetic and doesn't hurt a thing.

Reminds me of the guys that worry about the visual appearance of frosty cast boolits.

trickyasafox
10-05-2007, 02:19 AM
you could probably put a thin strip of electrical tape around the bottom lip to keep it from scratching, but as the others said, i never noticed any problems from it.

montana_charlie
10-05-2007, 03:18 PM
It's cosmetic and doesn't hurt a thing.

Reminds me of the guys that worry about the visual appearance of frosty cast boolits.
I don't look very close at factory stuff, but I look hard for any imperfection on reloads.

My best buddy rancher friend was reloading one evening, when I was visiting for a weekend in mid-winter. I picked one of his .270 reloads out of it's box and noticed a tiny ring of gilding metal at the case mouth. Every one I looked at had it.
I told Jon not to shoot that ammo.

He asked why, and I told him...but he said it was just 'cosmetic'.

His favorite rifle blew up the following spring.
CM

Joel Chavez
10-05-2007, 03:51 PM
So, are you saying I need to worry about it next spring.:confused: Sorry, I was just being funny.:drinks: I look into it during the weekend. Later.

Ricochet
10-05-2007, 04:42 PM
CM, did he have over-length untrimmed cases pinching the bullets?

HollandNut
10-05-2007, 08:07 PM
They wont "boom" but it'll mess up the mag tube .. I tried it years ago jus to see ..

montana_charlie
10-05-2007, 08:44 PM
CM, did he have over-length untrimmed cases pinching the bullets?
No. He has been reloading for many years, but never placed much importance on some things...things which he felt apply to match shooters, but not to guys who just use a rifle like any other common tool.

So, he was well aware that cases need to be trimmed and chamfered, but...
1. He didn't keep track of how many times a case had been reloaded.
- When a split showed up he would dump that case.
2. He never annealed a case neck in his life.
- When a split showed up he would dump that case.
3. He never worried about thickened neck walls.
- If that had ever caused a split, he attributed it to one of the other two problems and dumped that case.
4. If he found himself dumping a large number of cases during a particular year, he would discard all of his brass (in that caliber) and get new stuff to reload during the winter.

When I said his too-hard necks were too thick in the wall...and were shaving off jacket when seating bullets...he asked how to fix that.

I said the first step was to pull all of the bullets and see if the brass was worth saving. Then it would need to be annealed and (either) turned or reamed.

He had several hundred rounds already loaded, so his reply was...
He didn't own a bullet puller, didn't need neck turning tools like the 'match guys', and would rather buy new brass than mess around with annealing.

He said he was sure this ammo would be 'Ok for one more shot'.

When I went out the following May to help with his branding, he was still wearing a Bandaid on his cheek where a sliver from the stock had stabbed him...and his forehead was pretty-well healed where the scope had nicked him on it's way into the weeds.

The receiver (Remington 721) seemed undamaged, and he did eventually have it rebarreled. But it never shot well.
CM

Joel Chavez
10-05-2007, 08:59 PM
As one of ya pointed out earlier on this thread about the scratches on the brass, well, it's being caused by my Lee sizer/decapper. I ran an unscratched case through it and what will you know, it came out scratched just like the rest of them. I'm thinking of taking them back to Cabela's and explain to them the issue. I've gotten to know them(reloading dept.) quite well. I'm sure they won't have an issue taking them back. Thanks for pointing that out guys. Later.:castmine: