PDA

View Full Version : IDEAL Core Moulds

floodgate
10-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Guys:

With the help of a couple of the "brethren" (thanks, Sundog and Larry) and an acquisition from the Reloaders Auction site, I am suddenly hip-deep in a variety of bullet swaging tools, dies and supplies, with more coming in. Now swaging isn't REALLY about "Cast Boolits", with all its pre-drawn lead wire, copper half- and full-length jackets, etc,. etc. BUT, Lyman back in the '60's - when swaging was in its prime - made a set of adjustable moulds for casting cylindrical swaging cores, in .22 (0.168" dia.), .30 (0.239"), .38 (0.316"), .44 (0.392") and .45 (0.409"). Here is a photo of three in .30, .38 and .44:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/floodgate/P1010008-1.jpg;

two gotten here in years past, one at a local gun show. Being a total "bug" about complete sets, I would like to add the .22 and .45 versions, especially as Sundog has provided me with half-jacket swaging dies for both .45 ACP (0.452") and the older-size .45 Colt (0.454") and the C-H Swag-O-Matic press to exercise them in. The .22 core mould, I'll admit, I "need" just to round out the set. These are older "IDEAL / MIDDLEFIELD"-marked moulds on the original small single-cavity blocks, are just marked "22 S", "30 S", etc., etc. with the only other markings being the usual small pair of block-matching numbers, and have the added threaded plate held by two screws to the base of one block, with a threaded stem, hex lock-nut and bore-sized cylindrical plug, as in the r/h mould above.

SO, to recap, does anyone here have examples marked "22 S" and/or "45 S" they would be willing to part with for a reasonable sum?

I also have - from Reloaders Auction - a C-H .38/.357 die set for the Harvey zinc-washer base Prot-X-Bore SWC, with a small bag of the washers - this set with a different arrangement of the dies intended to be used in a standard reloading press; does anyone have a spare, serviceable example of the old aluminum-framed red C-H "C" press they'd be willing to part with?

As if I didn't have enough stuff to play with already.....

floodgate

Buckshot
10-04-2007, 02:09 AM
................Can't help ya in your search, but just to take up bandwidth, this is the coremould from Richard Corbin.

http://www.fototime.com/2B2A7A2010AD1E9/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/33E1CE1D5D95675/standard.jpg

Since there are 5 core cavities, and usually you're wanting them to be pretty close in weight before sending them to the core forming die, I made some length gage pins, below:

http://www.fototime.com/9A771A7ECE73BD4/standard.jpg

Up at the top of the photo. With the blocks open and the sprue plate in place you place one in the cavity and screw the depth plunger up to it, so it's captured between the sprueplate and the plunger. Then repeat in each cavity.

..............Buckshot

floodgate
10-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Rick:

Thanks; I've been reading through Corbin's 8th Edition "Handbook of Bullet Swaging", but mine is the pdf. download without any photos, so I wasn't sure of the configuration. I may get one of these for the .45's, but I'd still like to find the Ideals.

Doug

georgeld
02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Doug:
Would you mind sending me those pictures at: georgeld@hotmail.com??
They show up for me here as that damned empty box w/red x.
Sure would appreciate it.

With pictures to go by and maybe a measurement or two from these.
I might could make up a set the size you're asking for. Wouldn't match Corbin's, but, would
make the core's.
I'm wanting to get started making these tools as I fully intend to get into it. Am to the point
where I can't do much work, but, I can sit and do these things. There's only so much
loading a guy can do without running into major expenses for powder & primers now too.

Tought up a core mold idea today. Thor sent me some samples. Now I've got more of an idea.
Three pcs of flat bar hinged together at one corner. Say: 3/8"x2"x10". Top two drilled with as many hole's as possible. bottom one solid to stop the melt. Top catches the sprue and cuts the it off. Needs a long enough handle of course. Then just punch out the core's.

3/8" cast ww = 28.5gr, 1/2"=38gr .700"=55gr These figure's from Thor's cast core sample I cut off to length just to get these wts.

Am thinking since Barne's is making the Varmint grenade barely half full of core material. Why can't we do the same thing with lead?? Just leave the jacket full length for bearing surface.

What do you guys think??

MightyThor
02-08-2008, 05:20 PM
We (dad & I) only ever made stuff for the 22 cal cause we was lookin for cheap cheap cheap way to shoot varmits. Also gave us a good excuse to mess around instead of work. Anyhow. Our biggest issue with the home made molds was trying to get the hinge situated so that the mold would close tight and not result in a casting flash around the edge of the core. Before we ever got that figured out dad just drilled into the bottom of an old wad cutter mold he had and Voila we had a working core mold that still would cast wad cutters. We already had a Herter's core swage so we drilled a second factory block for a little heavier core and then would swage either the light core or the heavy core to achieve the desired bullet weight. Never did go back to trying to build a complete home made core mold. Some time ago I ended up with a ten hole mold for wadcutters. I don''t shoot them but thought I could modify the mold to my desired bullet. Anyhow, my dremmel experiment was a dismal failure and I put the mold away for a while. when I started making bullets again I drug out the 10 holer, drilled it for heavy cores and started casting. Recently bought a e-bay two holer and drilled it for light cores so I am essentially right back to where we started. I keep thinking If I ever get real tools and some decent aluminum I may try another home built again, but since I can still buy used mold blocks and drill them It may be a while before I go back to experimenting.

georgeld
02-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Wish I knew the secret to cast continous wire. That would be slick. Just melt a pot full and
draw it out.
Am thinking about making a 2-4" die mold to cast long core's then push them out.
Am not sure how that would work, but, seems like it should. At this point I'm still just
at the "thinking" stage and trying to finish up a couple major projects that have to be
completed yet.
Would appreciate any idea's.

miestro_jerry
02-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Floodgate,

Check you email and your PMs. You have a deal.

Jerry