PDA

View Full Version : Combat Commander

Airman Basic
07-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Got an old Colt Combat Commander that is a total bear to reassemble. Think it has an aftermarket recoil spring from the former owner that's a lot harder to keep in line 'til the slide's back in place than my other 1911s. It shoots great and feeds everything so I hesitate to mess with it. Is there a secret to getting that squirmy recoil spring to stay in place during reassembly?

376Steyr
07-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Are you trying to completely assemble the top end (slide, barrel, spring) with the recoil spring fully in compression, and then slide the unit onto the frame? If so, that's probably your problem. I'm assuming you have the original factory style barrel bushing and recoil spring plug. Try assembling it with the recoil spring sticking out of the front of the slide, and lastly pressing the recoil spring plug into place and twisting the barrel bushing around to secure it.

Airman Basic
07-09-2013, 12:18 PM
You're absolutely right, and I had a brain fart. Working on too many Sigs, I guess. Thanks for setting me straight.

gray wolf
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
That sure was a lot of brain gas you had there--(grin)

H.Callahan
07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
What IS that smell?

:kidding:

bob208
07-11-2013, 09:28 PM
make shure you have a comander length spring. i no some times a gov. model spring was used to shoot hotter loads. now i did not say it worked or was a good idea. but some have tried it.