PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a new mold

gundownunder
07-09-2013, 09:08 AM
The postie arrived today with a pair of really nice molds from NOE.

My new 315-115-SWC molds arrived today and I couldn't wait to get out to the shed to try them out. I've only got one set of handles so far so had to settle for just trying one mold, and soon noticed a problem.

I have had 3 molds for my 357 and all of them were happy for me to just dump a load of lead on the sprue plate, and the cavities would take what they wanted and leave the rest. When the puddle set knock the sprue open and dump the bullets on a towel.

Now I have my new molds and the first thing I noticed was that the only way I could fill the cavities properly was by directing a small stream of lead directly into the sprue hole from a height of 1" - 1.5". I know some molds are different to others, and I can live with this mold being like this if that's the way it is, but is this the way the mold is or can I fine tune it?

Second problem is that some of the bullets are breaking part of the forward driving band off as I dump them from the mold. Never had this happen to me before, is it a timing issue, or a problem with the alloy I've been using ( range scrap with 2% tin added ).

Maximumbob54
07-09-2013, 02:29 PM
The only broken bullets I've had were way too hard, cooled too fast, and cracked when they hit each other. With range scrap you never know what you will get. Usually it's pretty soft but it doesn't sound like yours is soft at all.

John Boy
07-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Regardless of who made the mold - a clean mold & pot temperature is what is needed to cast excellent bullets ... with a 5 second pour and the sprue puddle frosting in a minimum of 5 seconds

gundownunder
07-10-2013, 05:14 AM
Had another casting session today and things went much better.
I slowed things down a bit and that seemed to solve the problem of the front band ripping off. I think maybe the bullets were still too soft when I was knocking them out of the mold yesterday. Thanks Excess650 for your advice.
I'm still needing to pour direct into the sprue hole from an inch or more above the mold to get good fill out. Cast about 400 this afternoon and only had to through 100 back in.
They sure are a nice looking bullet, can't wait to get out to the range with them to see what they shoot like.

runfiverun
07-10-2013, 11:38 AM
that's indicative of a venting issue.

gundownunder
07-10-2013, 08:32 PM
that's indicative of a venting issue.

Can I fix it (how?), or do I have to live with it?