PDA

View Full Version : Mec Super Sizer--Broken Handle!!!!!!!

downwind
07-08-2013, 11:32 PM
OK,
New to shotshell reloading - 2-25 round boxes deep (12 ga)

Picked up a Mec 650 loader and a super sizer used about 5 years ago, boy does time fly!

Finally got around to using them.

Was sizing some once fired AA hulls (about 200) when all of a sudden S-N-A-P, broken handle.:oops:[smilie=b:

Is this a common happening or did I just force it too much do to my lack of education on such equipment.

I adjusted the collet down till my bases were at .807 or so

Is this too small or did I just use too much force

there is a machine screw on the base under the handle. is this a stop? Is it mal-adjusted?

Watched a mec video on Youtube and the demo showed the person pushing the handle down and not even coming close to this screw.

Is it just a feel thing?

Any help would be appreciated

THANKS
DOWNWIND

hubel458
07-09-2013, 02:01 PM
You should not hit screw. We do cases a lot tougher than those,
and base should be made smaller like .803". The collets
should take force of the handle when they close.Ed

Firebricker
07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Something definitely went wrong sounds like you might have got something in between the collet pieces. Some pictures would help give some clues to what caused it. Any time it takes a lot of force to get the handle down it's best to stop and check things out. Mec has been known to have good customer service give them a call and see if they can do anything for you. FB

john hayslip
07-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Haven't used them in a few years as I shoot rifle more than shotgun but MEC has/had almosst all old parts in stock for reasonable prices.

mac60
07-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Something definitely went wrong sounds like you might have got something in between the collet pieces. Some pictures would help give some clues to what caused it. Any time it takes a lot of force to get the handle down it's best to stop and check things out. Mec has been known to have good customer service give them a call and see if they can do anything for you. FB

MEC's c/s cannot be beat!

downwind
07-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Sorry don't know how to post pictures, computer challenged.
The handle was never hard to push down it just broke with no more force than sizing previous shells.
in looking closer, it seems that the rotating portion (where the chain link mounts) on the handle is a casting with a steel lever welded on. This casting broke at the transition of the lever stub (to which the lever is welded) and the cam block (for lack of a better term)
DOWNWIND

downwind
07-12-2013, 10:46 PM
In looking at the break on the casting it seems very "airy"
I'm going to try to call MEC this week

They do list the handle on their available parts.

THANKS
DOWNWIND