PDA

View Full Version : Long gas check boolit, very short case neck?

MasterGunnerySergeant
07-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Before I start up this project; would someone be so kind as to point up some of the issues with loading a long gas-check bullet in a very short neck case. Specifically, I have a Lyman 311284 that I would like to load in a .300 Win Mag on the mild side. My main concern is that the may be some sort of riveting effect below the cast neck or perhaps the case neck may strip to gas check as it passes through the neck.

Larry Gibson
07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Riveting of the bullet base can happen as can gas cutting of the bullets exposed sides. The GC could also potentially come off depending on the type of GC used and how secured it is on the bullet shank. How much if any depends on the load and whether or not a filler is used. Most of us prefer to keep at least the top of the GC inside the case neck. While 311284 is a very good bullet it was designed for the longer 30-06 neck in which it fits perfectly. The Lyman 311299, 311331 and the 311333 or similar heavy .30 cals would be much better suited to the 300 Win Mag or other shorter necked 30 cal cartridges. Not the answer you probably wanted. You might try it if "mild" loads is the agenda but I'd be sure and use a crimp on GC such as the Hornady.

Larry Gibson

texassako
07-08-2013, 11:18 PM
I recently ran into the same dilemma with the 311284, but in a different case. It worked very well with no filler, Hornady crimp on checks, and I figured a slower powder might limit any bumping up of the base before it exited the neck.

Nrut
07-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Don Engen use to make a tapered nose sizing die that allows you to seat your bullet out further..
I would think that type of die would cure your problem..
Don has since passed away..
Check with Buckshot (a member here) as I seem to remember that he making and selling this type of die now..

shredder
07-12-2013, 08:59 AM
I have the same issue with my 8x57 when I load up the huge 8mm Karabiner boolits. At good portion of the shank is inside the case below the neck. I had some erratic results at first as the throat on my rifle would not allow me to seat the boolits out any further.

When you get lemons, make lemonade: I seat the long boolit to contact the lands then dop in a charge of powder, in this case imr 4895. Then the key to the whole thing for me, fill the case up to the mouth with puf lon and seat the boolit to compress. I know, puf lon is terribly expensive and there will be a raucious uproar over how every other cheap filler is just as good etc etc etc. I can tell you that it took a boolit and load that was going nowhere and made it shoot spectacularly. What I believe is happening is that the puf lon is protecting the sides of the boolit as the powder gas builds pressure.

This load went from " Why did I buy this mold?, How many powders will I have to try to find something that will hit the paper at 100 yards? How can my normally un-fussy rifle refuse to shoot this load?"

To : "OK, now I have a HUNTING load!" and "This boolit really shoots!"

YMMV, and there is never any guarantees in cast shooting. All I can say is that for me in my rifle with the long boolits I tried, it really worked in spades. Considering that this load is primarily for hunting, and it is the only load that I use puf lon for, I could care less about the cost of puf lon. It will take me years to go through my bottle of it.

pdawg_shooter
07-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I load that same bullet in a 300RUM. Leave off the gas check and paper patch the bullet. Solves all the problems.

w30wcf
07-14-2013, 10:19 AM
I doubt very much that you would strip the gas check since the pressure is also on the base of the bullet. I have fired many 311284's deep seated in the .30-30 with slow burning H414 with excellent results. I know that's a bit different situation than yours but give it a try.

w30wcf

High Desert Hunter
07-20-2013, 01:24 PM
I am facing the same dilemma with the 375 Ruger, trying to decide on a mold, want to keep it very near or over 300grs, but it too has a short neck like my .300 Win Mag does.