PDA

View Full Version : New Rossi 92

j_dude77
07-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Well I happened to luck out. I was traveling out of town for work and decided to stop at the local gun store to check out the revolver supply. I noticed they had a Rossi 92 on the rack. I thought it was the same one they had a month ago that was chambered in .44 mag. Then I looked at it again, this one was different. It had the 24" octagon barrel. I asked the clerk what it was chambered in and he replied .45 Colt. I dropped it in lay-away and on the trip home picked it up. A few things about this rifle. When I first got it, it chewed up brass. Fortunately I had a lot of dummy ammo laying around, so i did not care about the brass. I went and bought the DVD from Steve's Gunz along with the metal follower. After following his directions the thing is smooth and no more ate-up brass. I did make a few mistakes along the way though. Do not, repeat do not, file down the hook on the extractor. It is very sharp and taking the edge off would seem logical. It does not work. I had to correct this by filing the shelf down right behind it and filing the sharp edge back. I found out the reason the edge is so sharp is that the 45 colt does not have much of a rim to begin with. I had to gut a coil off the spring that was supplied with the DVD, to get the ejector to fit properly. It ejects the cartridges fine, but a little to close for me. I had one land on my forearm and burn the **** out of me.

Anyway it is a nice little gun, and made even better after about an hour of work. I may get the spring kit from Brownell's and see how that works out. Feel free to ask any questions.

joec
07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I also have a 20" octagon barrel 92 in 45 Colt. I went with the Steve Gunz DVD and tune kit as well as the plug to do away with the safety. I've since added a stainless magazine spring sold by The Gun Smith for it and change both front an rear sights from Steve Gunz sight. This gun has be a flawless performer since then for about 2.5 years now shooting everything from factory to my black powder loads. Last week end I took down all the wood and finished it with Birchwood Casy TruOil set which turned out great in my opinion and is really much better looking now. This gun gave me faith in buying a Rossi Rio Grande in 45-70 which after a complete take down only needed the loading gate lightened so it didn't take off a finger. I'm now in the process of doing the wood on it like I did on the 92. Both guns have functioned perfectly however the RG 45-70 is about the best finished gun I've owned in over 40 years of many guns by many makers both inside and out.

j_dude77
07-08-2013, 07:05 PM
That is good to know about the Rio Grande. I have been looking at a 45-70 levergun. I have looked at a few Marlins, and quite frankly am not impressed when you can get the Rossi for around $100 cheaper.

taurus judge
07-12-2013, 07:38 PM
i recently had a rossi 92 38spl/357mag. follow me home. Think it is called carbine it has a little round 16 inch barrel. Have only had it at the range once , with couple hundred of my 38spl reloads and box of store bought fedral 357mag.At about 35 yards or so it could drive nails with my reloads, and the magnums shot about 4-5 inches high aiming the same as with 38spl. but just about as accurate i figure. magnums made much more noise and kick than my moderate loads for sure.Loading was way rougher than loading my henry for sure too. what a pain in the thumb.Hope with some use it gets easier. Action could be smoother mabe and dont try working action with gun not held fairly level or youll be finaigalling the round out with your fingers and trying again.I cannot complian overall for the price very fun and accurate as my eyes

joec
07-12-2013, 09:08 PM
That is good to know about the Rio Grande. I have been looking at a 45-70 levergun. I have looked at a few Marlins, and quite frankly am not impressed when you can get the Rossi for around $100 cheaper.

I looked at a pair of marlins and chose the Rossi after feeling the action and comparing the fit of the external parts. Oh and I walked out the door paying $480 including a 1.5-4.5x32mm Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scope with mounts and including a 6% sales tax. The cheapest Marlin was $680 with no scope rail and the stainless version was almost a $100 more. These where all new in box at Bud's that is local for me as they are 10 minutes from my door.