PDA

View Full Version : Update on Paul Jones - no new mould orders

texasmac
07-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Some of you may have noticed that Paul Jone’s web site (www.pauljonesmoulds.com) is no longer active. I just spoke with Paul about having him make 3 moulds. Although he’s currently finishing up previous mould orders, he has shut down his website and is not taking more orders at this time. Paul’s in his 70’s and is having some medical problems. He suggested I check back in a few weeks to see if he’s decided to accept new orders.

Wayne

Baja_Traveler
07-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Wow, thats a bummer. I guess my Jones Creedmoor mold is now worth more...

montana_charlie
07-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Some of you may have noticed that Paul Jone’s web site (www.pauljonesmoulds.com) is no longer active.
Yeah, I know.
I just got suckered out of a done deal for a Paul Jones mould, over on a different website.
I voiced my displeasure and the guy said, "Chill out. Just call Paul Jones and order another one."
I checked the site and it has been allowed to expire.

CM

John Boy
07-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Age and health issues have crept up on many of the mold makers in the last 2 or 3 years ... Rapine - Mos - Jones - Victory. Not many left making RN bullets except Jim at BACO, Brooks, Lyman :-x Old West, NEI, and Saeco.

Sure wish that Tom at Accurate molds would upgrade his CNC for round nose bullet molds because IMO - Accurate will be a competitor to BACO and the other better knowns, plus could even surpass those for multi cavity ones - Accurate cuts 5x's now with metplat noses

Don McDowell
07-09-2013, 12:06 AM
JB, got to agree on those Accurate moulds. That .434 I had him build will shoot nice groups at 1000 yds, even tho it doesn't have the pretty round tip on the nose.

kokomokid
07-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Got a new mould two months ago and it cast round slick and they fall out looking like jewelry. Maybe David will take over the business. LB

Tom Trevor
07-09-2013, 11:16 AM
David has no interest in the business as far a moulds go. Another thing is that Pauls building will be gone as soom as the 5 fwy. widening project gets under way as Telegraph road will have to be pushed back to make room for the added lane.

kokomokid
07-09-2013, 05:30 PM
OK Tom, good thing I have a varied supply of Jones moulds. LB

Bad Ass Wallace
07-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Whilst I have a number of PJ moulds, it's sad to see any business supporting shooters close the doors!

At least 'Down Under' we have some good news. "Cast Bullet Engineering" has a new owner[smilie=s: and will be based about an hour's drive from my home. For the last 40 years this business has supplied high quality brass moulds to keep my old girls shooting and like the PJ moulds, feature 3 alignment pins to produce exceptional boolits!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Picture013-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/Picture013-1.jpg.html)

Don McDowell
07-12-2013, 05:14 PM
That would be a good thing for you guys to get a good mould maker over there. I gave Gavin Dignam a couple of bullets copied from originals that work well in the 44-77, now maybe he can get a set of blocks to copy them without all the import/export stuff.

longranger
07-12-2013, 07:14 PM
I guess no interest in family business from his son, I had always kinda got the impression his son was active in the shop. Steve Brooks makes some pretty good molds and I am very impressed with Tom at Accurate Arms molds.
I have several PJ molds and my best shooting in my Sharps rifles come from his molds(PJ4501). He made the coolest .50 cal. mold for my Austin Halleck in-line M/L, beautiful rifle and scary accurate 583 gr FN bullet.
Sorry to hear he's not 35 anymore I will treasure his molds.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-13-2013, 09:56 PM
I had the pleasure of visiting with Paul at his shop on two occaisions. I bought two molds from him but they were not for large blackpowder cartridges. I used to belong to the same range as he did at Brea Ca. The man has a great since of humor. One time I was talking with Paul during a break at a black powder match at the Pala range north of San Diago. A man had been talking to him for some time when I came over. After the man left I asked what was that all about and he said. The man wants me to do about a weeks work for 150 dollars. I am sure you machinists out there have met that same guy, or at least his brother.

Southern Son
07-15-2013, 05:07 AM
Bad *** Wallace,

Where have CBE moved to? I have a .310 cadet mould made by the last owner. Took four months to get it. Faster than some of the Group Buys, but Brookes still manged to custom cut me a 45/70 mould and send it in under 3 weeks, from the USA. Four months from a neighbouring state was a bit much.

Bad Ass Wallace
07-15-2013, 08:06 AM
David is just outside Toowoomba he is a brilliant machinest and I'm sure when all the gear is trucked up and production will flow well. He stated that part of the deal was to fill back orders that have already been taken by the business. Any wait for moulds will be worth it!

Southern Son
07-19-2013, 06:36 AM
BAW,
Mate, are you near Toowoomba? It is becomming a bit of a hot bed of gun stuff. Gunsmiths (Madden and his group at MADCO and Jim Kent at Buffalo Gunsmithing) and I have heard of one more but I cannot think of his name, a few shooting ranges including Captains Mountain out near Milmerran, Milmerran and District Shooting Club (just up the road from Captains Mountain), just to name two (I also know that there are more than three more). I have heard that there is a fellow up there who is doing Cerrocoating (very well from all I have heard), and now Australia's only Mould Maker. Meanwhile, Rockhampton don't even have a proper gunshop!!!!!!!

Bad Ass Wallace
07-21-2013, 08:38 AM
About an hours drive from Toowoomba. There is another Aussie mould maker just started up in SA, I have one of his first production moulds for a 577 Snider and they are top quality stuff, beautifully polished finish also I brass! Bigdave (from AHN forum) has all the cherries from the late Trevour Bugg

Speaking of Cerrocoating, Kev from Ammo & Powder is doing the process and I've seen a sample of his 'midnight blue' at a local gunshow. It looks like the finest hot blue job ever!