PDA

View Full Version : NOE sprue plate Mod.

SWANEEDB
07-08-2013, 03:25 PM
When I bought molds from Al at NOE I just wanted 4 cavity ones and got the 5cav sprue plates, did a little drilling and cutting to fit the Lee cam levers, I have done this with all my molds, H&G's, Saeco's, Lyman's and others, beats banging on the plate with a stick besides I'm just a little weakling, need all the help I can muster. Here it is Al, finally figured out how to post Pic's. Oh ya Al, How about the 402 HP'ers.75616

garym1a2
07-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't know why everyone does not at least supply the sprue plate with a hole for the lee cam lever?
It's much better than hitting it with a mold mallet!

Dale53
07-08-2013, 04:45 PM
I don't really like the Lee sprue plate lever. I just hit the sprue plate until the mould is fully up to temp and then I just use my gloved hand. That includes four and five cavity moulds. I am definitely not a gorilla, either (78 years young but who's counting:mrgreen:). I get much better cut offs by using my hands.

FWIW
Dale53

brotherdarrell
07-08-2013, 10:07 PM
I don't really like the Lee sprue plate lever. I just hit the sprue plate until the mould is fully up to temp and then I just use my gloved hand. That includes four and five cavity moulds. I am definitely not a gorilla, either (78 years young but who's counting:mrgreen:). I get much better cut offs by using my hands.

FWIW
Dale53

What he said.:goodpost:

Darrell

Jailer
07-08-2013, 10:58 PM
I dunno, but if I'm doing things right I don't need the extra leverage the Lee sprue cutter provides.

At least that's been my experience.

MT Gianni
07-08-2013, 11:05 PM
A thumb is all I need to cut a sprue on an up to temp mold.

gunoil
07-08-2013, 11:23 PM
iam gonna try glove next. Maybe iam big enough at 60.

Hamish
07-12-2013, 09:43 AM
The last couple of days I have been thinking about drilling a couple of holes in the end of the sprue plate on my 4 and 5 cavity moulds to attach a handle to multiply the force of pushing the plate open and still be able to gently whack the sprue plate if need be. (I like to use thin mig welding gloves and I don't have the calluses I used to.)

The great majority of us are either whackers or pushers, and many will think that SWANEEDBs modification is not needed, but I can sure see where a number of casters would really like this mod.

dragon813gt
07-12-2013, 09:55 AM
I wish the hole was drilled by the makers. I have thought about doing it but don't want to mess anything up. I don't think I would really use it. Because it seems that I always try to cast to early and have to whack it open. And once it's warmed up I just open it by hand.