PDA

View Full Version : Cases where art thou

mag_01
10-03-2007, 05:43 PM
:Fire: --- Shooting the 7.62x25 leaves me mostly looking for my cases --- Was using 7grs. of herco behind a 100gr. .312 boolit sized .309 ---- Today I changed load to 4 -- 4.3 and 4.6grs. of bulls eye which shot good groups and cases where easier to fine still did lose a few --- Murphy's Law --- CZ-52 Fun Gun --- Also shot 45 Auto with a 225gr. RN and 4grs. of bull with excellent groups and good plinking at tin cans at 35yrds. --- 45 ACP -- You have to love it --- easy to load --- easy to shoot with good performance --- and cases in plain sight. :Fire::Fire::Fire: --- Mag_01

beagle
10-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I've noticed that those little gems get scattered around pretty good. Can't be near as bad as shooting a .351 Selfloading Winchester. That thing really scatters brass...../beagle

Lloyd Smale
10-03-2007, 09:02 PM
try a cetme or 91 h&k they throw brass into the next century and if you live long enough to find it its looks so bad you wouldnt want it anyway.

Dale53
10-03-2007, 11:16 PM
I shot an H&K 91 (.308) for several years in IPSC Rifle and did extremely well with it. The trigger was an abomination! Had a very talented local smith make a run at the trigger and it ended up only terrible. However, after he worked it over and I learned to use it, did EXTREMELY good work with it (but "IN SPITE" of the trigger).

It was a real shooter. Once in front of several witnesses, I shot two separate five round groups with military equivalent ammo (j-word bullets) with one group just under 2" and one just over 2" (at 300 yards with issue sights and that 19" barrel (very short sight radius). Of course, that was when I could still see[smilie=1:). This was off the bipod. I won't bore you with any more tails of this "wondergun" but it was and is a dandy (if you learn to live with the trigger).

Lloyd is absolutely correct about it being a brass thrower (H&K stated that was so you wouldn't have a pile of "tell tale" brass around your position). The brass would go at least thirty feet and was nearly red hot, at that. Shooting next to an H&K shooter and having one of those red hot cases thrown into your "skivvies" was an experience to be believed (it would literally blister you)!! The brass looked terrible (black and grooved from the "retarding grooves in the chamber" but it actually reloaded well (wonders of wonders).

Dale53

EMC45
10-04-2007, 08:18 AM
H&K nice gun, bad trigger. AKs will pitch the brass far as well.

corvette8n
10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
My CZ-52 would throw the brass on the roof at the covered range, At least I could find them, they either rolle down in the same spot or be stuck up there.

waksupi
10-04-2007, 08:48 PM
I must be lucky. My HK G3 does throw brass to hell and gone, but the trigger is very nice on it. Got some slack, but that is expected in a military rifle.

twotrees
10-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Very early in the game I had a Combat Commander that had a Barsto Barrel installed.

I still have the mould, Lee 141gr .357 Trunkcated cone point bullet I used to "Make Major". Lets just say 50% recovery rate was a good day. And that brass cost a ton way back in the early 80's.

Good Hunting (for your brass),

TwoTrees

Lloyd Smale
10-05-2007, 07:30 AM
I had a gunsmith work on my trigger and the cetme i had ended up with a nice creap free 3.5 lb trigger. Not match quality but definately a vast improvement over the stock 10 lb trigger with about a 1/2 inch of creap.
I must be lucky. My HK G3 does throw brass to hell and gone, but the trigger is very nice on it. Got some slack, but that is expected in a military rifle.

beemer
10-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Makrov and P-64 pistols throw the brass into the next county. It helped some to put in a heavier reciol spring and reduce loads. I think these pistols need heavier springs anyway. It's almost cheeper to shoot steel Russian ammo than to loose good brass. When shooting off my bench I hang up a old sheet to catch the brass.
beemer

shooting on a shoestring
10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Well this thread reaffirms my love for revolvers, bolt guns and muzzle loaders. I've come close a couple of times to owning a modern auto loading/brass scattering/loose triggered kind of firearm, but have always fallen short. Not to knock you guys that enjoy them, power to you. I just don't have a personality that goes with autos. Matter of fact I don't even like automatic transmissions. But I've got to hand it to someone who can sling a mould fast enough to keep pace with an autounloader.