PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 fire lap loads

ACK450
10-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Could any of you fellows give me a fire lap load for a 45/70, 300 gr. pb cast boolit.
I wanted to use un-sized fired cases which lets the boolit drop down in the case
past the nose, so case capacity is reduced. That way no seating die is used, and
no mess and cleanup with the dies.
If I took a guess at it I would probably go with 5 gr. Bullseye, but sure don't want
to pound a stuck bullet out of the barrel. I've done that trick with another caliber
before, and they stick pretty tight with all that abrasive on them.
Many thanks if you can help. ACK450

Bass Ackward
10-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Using just generic bullet information in Quickload, 5 grains of Bullseye is @ 3,600 psi and 763 fps from a 22" barrel. 6 grains is almost 5000 psi and 868 fps with a "standard" lead slug.

Just so you can calculate for yourself what you want to do.

Scrounger
10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
10 grains of Unique will work too. About 950 if I remember correctly...

charger 1
10-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I've been using 8 grs of 700X. You should be using something harder than lead for firelapping anyhow. Like about air ww's is recommended. If it gets stuck it'll always go back the way it went in. No biggy.

leftiye
10-04-2007, 08:44 PM
While we're at it, what velocities are recommended for fire lapping (please).

charger 1
10-05-2007, 05:21 AM
While we're at it, what velocities are recommended for fire lapping (please).

I've never heard a number. I've heard things like, As slow as you can go and still get it out the barrel, so slow you can see it, BB gun velocities, but never an actual number

VTDW
10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Charger 1 got it correct.

ACK450, I seriously question the method you describe just to keep from cleaning your dies etc. It sounds dangerous to me. One should use a light load to just get the lapping boolit out of the barrel and should also use a filler to take up the space bwtween the boolit and powder or bad things can happen bro.

Dave

borderman
10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
If I recall correctly I used about 3 grains of Bullseye with a 450 grain boolit. I ran a patch thru the bore every 5 shots and never had a stuck boolit. That has happened in other rifles before, that's why the periodic patch.

ACK450
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Thank you guys. Appreciate your sage advice. I typed pb cast bullet to mean "plain base"
and it didn't sink in at that moment that pb also means pure "lead". Actually using air cooled
WW.
Well, I just went ahead and used a seating die & cleaned the darn thing up after seating the
grit-imbedded alloy bullets. And I survived.....

And yea, the velocity of fire lap bullets is a nebulous thing, huh. Same for how much of a
"little" powder charge is required to "just get the bullet out the barrel without sticking, etc."
as that sho do differ from say a .250 Savage vrs. the 45/70. I'm not lazy either, I just hate
running a brass, alum, or cold-rolled steel rod down a gun barrel and whacking out stuck
boolits. I always fear damaging the rifling. Sincerely, ACK450

VTDW
10-05-2007, 06:45 PM
:mrgreen: I was firelapping my .308MX with the same load of Titegroup I had used on my .35 Rem. I sure did ruin my jag banging that boolit out.

Glad you got it done.

Dave