View Full Version : Last Post

Tom-ADC
07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Taps as you have never heard before.
Caution may cause blurred vision.

http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm

Rick Hodges
07-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I graduated from High School in 1966. After casting around for a decent instrumental tune to choose for a class song....my class, as Juniors in '65, voted for "Il Silencio". Most of us had never heard of it, and had no idea it was Taps.

It is still a haunting tune.

kbstenberg
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Beautiful

Bad Water Bill
07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
In 1953 I worked at a summer camp near St Germain Wi. Every night the camp went to sleep with Taps. Three of us spent many hours learning how to work old cavalry bugles. On the last night of camp we surprised everyone. 3 of us took canoes to distant parts of the lake and tooted. Sounded like the sound was echoing off every structure on the lake. Folks everywhere wanted the boss to do it more often . We left a week later.

I will never forget just what it sounded like.

We were not anywhere the caliber of this young lady but she triggered the memory.

Thanks for sharing and getting an OLD mans memories working again.

Now where is my Kleenex?

pdawg_shooter
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Taps is the saddest song ever written. Just ask anyone who ever served in the military.

Hardcast416taylor
07-08-2013, 01:25 PM
There is a trumpter in Wa state that has been playing "Taps" every night precisely at sundown for many years. It is said that the entire town literally stops everything to hear him play. Darned if I can figure out why grown men and women tear up when hearing those 24 notes, at least I know why I do.Robert

Hawkeye45
07-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I cannot listen to that haunting music anymore. It brings up too many flashbacks of VN. Since I will not be able to hear it, my will states taps is to be played twice, once for all those brave men and women who went before me and once for me.

Mr. Ed

Tom-ADC
07-08-2013, 02:09 PM
It appears I'm wrong and this is not Taps never the less it gets to me.

Il Silenzio (Silence in English) is an Italian pop music instrumental piece, with a small part of spoken Italian lyrics, notable for its trumpet theme. It was written in 1965 by trumpet player Nini Rosso and Guglielmo Brezza, its thematic melody being an extension of the same Italian Cavalry bugle call used by the Russian composer Tchaikovsky to open his Capriccio Italien (often mistaken for the U.S. military bugle call "Taps".) It has become a worldwide instrumental standard, which has sold around 10 million copies. It was a number one hit in Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Italy and in Switzerland in 1965. It reached the position of Number 1 in Australia on 9 January 1965 and stayed in the charts for 19 weeks, and in the United Kingdom it peaked at number 8 on the Record Retailer singles chart. In the United States it reached #32 in the Billboard Easy Listening Charts.

Hickory
07-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I think what makes this song and it's melody so haunting is that it was conceived during a war where both sides were fighting for freedom and the objective of the battles fought and the lives lost fell short of either sides goals.
It is almost as if the melody can conjure up the souls of those who lost their lives for a lost cause, on both sides.

nagantguy
07-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Hurts my heart as well, still like it but brings memories up that are better left stored way at the back of my mind.only to be brought up on my terms in appropriate company, say a brother Marine over a cold pint.

BruceB
07-08-2013, 04:46 PM
I agree... this is not "Taps" as we know it...but it is painfully beautiful.

I was curious about where the thread title came from. In British Commonwealth countries, "The Last Post" is played at military funerals etc where we would play "Taps". It's another haunting composition, and doubtless is available on Youtube.

Bad Water Bill
07-08-2013, 04:55 PM
THE LAST POST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4NtSqZcT_4

For all ot our commonwealth members.

Hickory
07-08-2013, 07:14 PM
I thought it was Taps,
I should have turned the sound up.

dantoweed64
07-08-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm with you, Hawkeye45! Uncontrollable sadness when i hear it!!VN 66-67

Lloyd Smale
07-09-2013, 05:56 AM
the last song most of us will never hear.