PDA

View Full Version : "The Bullet Makers" painting from an old reloading manual

7Acres
07-08-2013, 10:29 AM

A few months ago I grabbed the image above from a post here. Recently I became interested in knowing which reloading manual it is from. After searching both here and on Google for almost an hour I figured it was time to just ask. Do you recognize the artwork? If so, in which publication was it printed?

dsbock
07-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I've seen that image before. While I don't remember which manual it came from, I do wonder what he did to annoy his helper. She looks like she is about to pour molten lead on his bare feet. Ouch.

David

mdevlin53
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
It's called The Bulletmakers. Painted by Gayle Hoskins, part of the Samworth Collection.

Better known as "The back cover of Lyman's Handbook of Cast Bullets, First Edition, 1958
curtousy of Bent Ramrod and Cast Boolits
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?184571-I-love-this-picture

7Acres
07-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Awesome! Thanks, mdevlin53! That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Hardcast416taylor
07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
YUP! Like mdevlin53 said. The outside back cover for the 1958 Lyman cast bullet manual.Robert

adrians
07-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Here's the front and back of my ragged ,well worn copy,,,,,,
definitely seen better days.:evil:

Iron Mike Golf
07-08-2013, 03:02 PM
I've seen that image before. While I don't remember which manual it came from, I do wonder what he did to annoy his helper. She looks like she is about to pour molten lead on his bare feet. Ouch.

David

He fluxed and lit off the smoke, but didn't warn her. Almost caught her hair on fire.

1Shirt
07-08-2013, 03:08 PM
That edition is one that I prize and often refer to for comparison.
1Shirt!

dsbock
07-08-2013, 06:10 PM
I do wonder what he did to annoy his helper. She looks like she is about to pour molten lead on his bare feet. Ouch.

He fluxed and lit off the smoke, but didn't warn her. Almost caught her hair on fire.

Good thing she's not a redhead or you know where that ladle would reside!

Shiloh
07-08-2013, 09:03 PM

That book has seen A LOT of use!!

Shiloh

telebasher
07-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I'd be more worried about some of the moulten lead on my bare feet!!

WILCO
07-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I'd be more worried about some of the moulten lead on my bare feet!!

My thought exactly!

uscra112
07-09-2013, 02:50 AM
It's only slightly raggedier than mine. I've always wondered what's holding that mold closed. And boy, I'd hate to have to get that rifle off the wall over the mantlepiece in a hurry!

Cosmiceyes
07-09-2013, 04:35 AM
It's only slightly raggedier than mine. I've always wondered what's holding that mold closed. And boy, I'd hate to have to get that rifle off the wall over the mantlepiece in a hurry!

That's why they have a good dog to growl a early warning.

mikeym1a
07-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Looking at the art itself, these's a Pennsylvania rifle over the mantle, and he's apparently teaching her how to mould boolits. A very sensible thing.

Whilst in college some years back, I read the Virginia Militia Act of 1781, I believe it was. (I have copies of 5 different versions, from various years.) In it, the Act stated that every private was to equip himself with a gun of a style and caliber suitable for militia service. I further stipulated that he was to equip himself with a mould for boolit making, and such tools necessary to keep the gun servicable. And, when called to duty, he was to have a supply of boolits and lead, and powder enough for three days use. (I suppose after that, he was to draw from the Commonwealth's stores.) That man showing his wife how to do it is a good thing, even if they don't like it. I taught my ex to shoot, and otherwise be self-sufficient. She said I did too good a job, as she said 'Goodbye!'

7Acres
07-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Mikeym1a, thanks for sharing. That's some good advise that a lot of us enjoy following!

Westerner
08-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Brings back fond memories.

jonp
08-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Thats funny, Mikey. I have showed various girlfriends how to shoot and reload. All left except the current one that said "cool" and told me I had to buy her an identical gun for every one I bought myself. After 6yrs it's gotten kinda expensive but it's worth it. Never questions what I bring home. "More Ammo"? Ok, I'll take some stuff out of the other closet. :)
"You bought another Blackhawk"? "Wheres mine"?

BruceB
08-09-2013, 11:00 PM
I don't believe he's "showing" her anything.

I DO believe she's helping him in a vital task, and that she's already very knowledgeable about a legion of skills/jobs required for frontier living and survival.

Frontier women as a rule were very capable (by necessity).

TCFAN
08-10-2013, 12:20 AM
I don't believe he's "showing" her anything.

I DO believe she's helping him in a vital task, and that she's already very knowledgeable about a legion of skills/jobs required for frontier living and survival.

Frontier women as a rule were very capable (by necessity).

I agree with Bruce. I think this painting shows how the early American family had to work together to survive on the frontier...........Terry

Fishman
08-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Thats funny, Mikey. I have showed various girlfriends how to shoot and reload. All left except the current one that said "cool" and told me I had to buy her an identical gun for every one I bought myself. After 6yrs it's gotten kinda expensive but it's worth it. Never questions what I bring home. "More Ammo"? Ok, I'll take some stuff out of the other closet. :)
"You bought another Blackhawk"? "Wheres mine"?

It's not cool to brag but. . . Thats awesome. :) Congrats!

My wife was trimming .223 brass yesterday while watching tv. Sort of the modern day version of this painting.

alamogunr
08-10-2013, 10:21 AM
That picture has been a favorite of mine ever since I acquired the 1st edition Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets about 15 years ago.

Bigslug
08-10-2013, 10:57 AM
She looks like she is about to pour molten lead on his bare feet. Ouch.

No Compound W back in the 1700's - she's burning his warts off.

Ohio Rusty
08-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Women knew how to cast ball as they watched family members do it growing up. The rifle, horn and shooting pouch were common household items in many houses on the frontier. During the siege of Boonesboro in 1778 (depicted in another Gayle Hoskins painting), Dan'l Boone mentioned in his autobiography that they were running out of lead, so the women of the fort melted down their pewter in an iron skillet and 'ran ball' for the men so they could continue to take the fight to the indians and british and save the fort. After the seige was over, Dan'l wrote that the settlers living in the fort dug 125 pounds of lead ball from the outside walls of the fort. Lead for ball was a very valuable commidity. During shooting matches, winners were thrilled to dig the shot balls out of the tree that the target was hung on as the winning prize.

There is another painting he did that was the whole front and back cover of a Lyman muzzleloader book that is one of my absolute favorites. It is called 'The Rifle Frolic'. How many times I wanted to be in that picture !! There are several woodsmen running ball in that painting you can see.

Ohio Rusty ><>

bibliojim
04-18-2014, 11:50 AM

"Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition: a Treatise on the Loading of Ammunition With Particular Reference to the Individual Who Reloads His Own Cartridges Together with an Explanation of the Underlying Principles Which Govern or Limit Such" Earl Naramore

"The Bulletmakers" is on the Dust Jacket and is the front piece. A Samworth book, and a standard collectors and users library. Always wondered about the bare feet :-):-)
I hope my photo is attached, otherwise email me
Jim
bibliojim@gmail.com

alamogunr
04-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Jim: I knew I had that book(along with several others) in the shop. I didn't remember that it had a dust jacket much less what was on it. Glad you posted that. Mine is exactly like it.

bibliojim
04-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Gayle Porter Hoskins painted "The Bulletmakers"
According to Brian Smith, author of "Samworth books: A Descriptive Bibliography" it is a self-portrait. Works for me.
Samworth developed the genre of firearm publications, and all of his titles are worthwhile, and collectable, and I have many.

Jim Stewart
DryFire Books
POB 1031
Deerfield Beach, FL 33443
(954) 946-2999
dryfire@dryfire.us

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be.

rondog
04-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I like the tiny little deer skull and rack over the mantel.....

762 shooter
04-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Ahhhh. Thomas G. Samworth. Plantersville South Carolina home town boy.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-18-2014, 06:10 PM

But still most useful without a doubt. BvT

TES
04-18-2014, 06:27 PM
I want that fire place....I can almost smell the beans.......:redneck:

catskinner
04-18-2014, 08:08 PM
In one of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, Little House in The Big Woods, there is good description of Pa Ingalls casting round balls for his muzzle loader and cleaning the muzzle loader.

gray wolf
04-19-2014, 03:57 PM
I like the way they had thought to pull the rug back.
Lead on feet = OK
Lead on rug = NO,NO
Living like I do I sometimes think I have stepped back in time, In reality I know I have not.
But there are times I have thoughts about how interesting spending some time with the great folks of the past
and there daily tasks.