PDA

View Full Version : My new 30-40 krag

JTknives
07-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Here is my new to me 30-40 krag I got for $249. In really nice condition and an action as smooth as glass. I know it's not stock but that's good with me. I'm not much for old military style stocks.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1010057_10201771575318108_1042139883_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1005314_10201771575838121_1252528746_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1016558_10201771576198130_1210147768_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/972199_10201771576478137_14788645_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1011419_10201771576838146_978532204_n.jpg

Mike 56
07-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Wow nice looking rifle. You scored.

RustyReel
07-10-2013, 08:55 AM
For $249 it would have followed me home as well. Nice find.

swheeler
07-10-2013, 09:03 AM
You did good, really good! Now for some pictures of targets;)

DeanWinchester
07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
You stole it!

Char-Gar
07-10-2013, 10:19 AM
That Redfield sight alone is selling for well over $100.00 these days.

richhodg66
07-10-2013, 11:11 AM
I would have sprained something reaching for my wallet if a deal like that came my way, great score.

I like Krags. I want an original one someday, but a sporter would be nice too.

jlchucker
07-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm a lefty and that monte carlo is on the wrong side to do me much good, but even still--WOW! What a beautiful rifle in a classic old caliber, in a rifle so tastefully done over! I take it you'll be hunting something with it, using cast boolit loads, of course!

JTknives
07-10-2013, 03:28 PM
ya, it will be my hunting rifle this rear as i dont want to pack a 17lb 338 win mag. I was impressed by the quality of the build and with how smooth the action is.

Outpost75
07-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Here is mine which I picked up for similar money at an estate sale a few years ago.

Char-Gar
07-10-2013, 06:05 PM
75801Ok...so this is going to turn into a show your Krag event is it? Great as I have four of them. The middle one is my favorite I killed my first deer with it in 1960 and it cost me $15.00 cash money the year before. It had belonged to an old Dentist who got to old to hunt and passed it on.

Bottom rifle is a Mauser. The other Krag is in the shop in pieces at the present time and chose not to show up for the family picture.

Herb in Pa
07-10-2013, 06:54 PM
OK, I've only got 2, top is sporterized with a Leupold 1x5. Lower is an original 1894 with a 4 digit serial#, it currently has a redfield no drill peep on it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]75803[/ATTACH

nekshot
07-10-2013, 08:25 PM
you guys are sooooo fortunate! Nothing like character and these guns have it. I saw one early this year for 269.00 and I simply did not have the funds.

Scharfschuetze
07-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Krags are really great fun and great cast boolit rifles. You did well to bring that one home.

Here's mine. It's an unaltered 1898 made in 1903, so it's one of the last Krags out of the doors of Springfield Armory. With 32/20 or 32 S&W cast bullets at 1100 fps it's about as much fun as you can have for plinking cans out to a 100 yards or so. With a 190 grain Hoch cast boolit at 1,900 fps its quite capable of knocking plastic milk jugs around out to several hundred yards.

I didn't get the full muzzle in the photo, but the brass cover over the sight is an issue muzzle and sight protector.

frnkeore
07-11-2013, 02:11 PM

I really like well done Sporter Krags. I don't have one but, this is my well done "sporterized" Rifle, done long ago. The 26" barrel is perfect inside and out and has a .310 groove. It also has the no drill Refield sight on it.

Frank

TheGrimReaper
07-16-2013, 11:51 AM
For $249 it would have followed me home as well. Nice find.

YES SIR!!! I wish I could find me a DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uscra112
07-16-2013, 02:15 PM
The O.P.'s is almost an identical twin to the one I bought from Bullshop a few months ago. Almost the same Bishop stock, same Redfield sight. I just checked the safe to see that mine's still there ! It is. :D

tawastom
07-19-2013, 06:33 AM
I have one as well,A freinds Krag,was the first "big rifle" I ever fired, and I always wanted one, I scored one last year and loaded 100 boolits for it and it shoots very well. I plan on deer hunting with it this year.

Char-Gar
07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Every time I look at the pics of the OP Krag, I get a strong urge to remove that high rollover comb and too long grip and turn that thing into a classic Krag sporter. I would remove the plastic forend cap and spacer and replace it with wood or horn. There is plenty of wood to work with.

JTknives
07-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Every time I look at the pics of the OP Krag, I get a strong urge to remove that high rollover comb and too long grip and turn that thing into a classic Krag sporter. I would remove the plastic forend cap and spacer and replace it with wood or horn. There is plenty of wood to work with.

The black cap is not plastic it's ebony aka black wood.

Cosmiceyes
07-24-2013, 03:31 PM
That looks like the one I had since I was in the 4th grade. I believe in large bolted to the floor gun safes now,as it an many others in my Gun case left while I was at work.My Father paid $10.00 for it,and a case of 220 gr Winchester Silver tips.Largest White tail I ever killed was with my Kraig Carbine just plain sights at 200 yards.

Here is mine which I picked up for similar money at an estate sale a few years ago.

gwpercle
07-25-2013, 05:45 PM
You got a nicely done classic sporter from " back in the day ", done up right too. Well done!
I've allways had a soft spot for the Krag.
By the shape of the roll-over cheek piece it looks like it was stocked with one of Herter's " World Famous Micro-Precision Machine Inletted Rifle Stocks" in walnut with white line spacers...CLASSIC.
Don't change a thing I think it beautiful. God I miss Herter's stocks...you could get anything. Now everything has a thumbhole or platic or a funky laminated plwood. Hate it all.

gnoahhh
07-26-2013, 11:04 AM

My thoughts exactly. To me a 110+ year old rifle just doesn't look right with a 'modern' Monte Carlo stock on it. Also I know I would have a hard time getting a natural sight picture if I had to mash my cheek down hard on that high comb.

That said, I would have scrambled for my wallet too had I stumbled onto it. But then, the wood rasp would've come out as soon as I got it home. Good snag!

Char-Gar
07-26-2013, 11:58 AM
My thoughts exactly. To me a 110+ year old rifle just doesn't look right with a 'modern' Monte Carlo stock on it. Also I know I would have a hard time getting a natural sight picture if I had to mash my cheek down hard on that high comb.

That said, I would have scrambled for my wallet too had I stumbled onto it. But then, the wood rasp would've come out as soon as I got it home. Good snag!

I would have bought it in a heartbeat and headed back for the shop with great gusto. I would strip the finish, remove the rollover come and reshape the cheekpiece into something Bob Owen would be proud of. I would then shorten the grip and loose the white spacer in the process. If the forend tip is ebony and not plastic, I would remove the white spacer and reinstall it with a good transition line from the wood to the tip. With a few hours of shop time, that could be a show stopper of a classic Krag sporter.

Char-Gar
07-26-2013, 12:08 PM
You got a nicely done classic sporter from " back in the day ", done up right too. Well done!
I've allways had a soft spot for the Krag.
By the shape of the roll-over cheek piece it looks like it was stocked with one of Herter's " World Famous Micro-Precision Machine Inletted Rifle Stocks" in walnut with white line spacers...CLASSIC.
Don't change a thing I think it beautiful. God I miss Herter's stocks...you could get anything. Now everything has a thumbhole or platic or a funky laminated plwood. Hate it all.

When it comes to rifle stocks "Classic" has an established definition and the rifle in question is no where near being classic. If you had to put a label on the style is would be "California rollover" or perhaps "Rococo". I would call the rifle a late 70's California style stock. Just because a rifle stock design is not in current use, does not make it "classic".

True American classic rifles have no Monte Carlo comb, no rollover cheekpiece, no white line spaces, no upswept grip line, no grip cap flared larger than the grip itself, no rubber but pad, and no high gloss finish. For post-war classic rifle, look at the work of Al Biesen, Griffin and Howe and many others working in that school of stock design.

There is no design better than another as it is a matter of personal likes and dislikes, but there are standard terms when talking about stock design.

BruceB
07-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Many years back, Jack O'Connor wrote that the design of a properly laid-out rifle stock should be composed strictly of straight lines and segments of perfect circles.

I've never forgotten his definition, nor have I disagreed with it.

"Classic" is as badly abused as "vintage" or "tactical". "Old" doesn't necessarily mean classic, either.

Where IS that wood rasp?

gwpercle
07-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Sorry , didn't mean to insult the "classic" stock . I was just ignorant of the proper and established definition...now I know better.

madsenshooter
07-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Here's the Krag I mostly use for shooting cast. A bit more scope than what's needed, but sometimes I like to shoot in the production class instead of modified military scoped. I get to shoot at a smaller target, and I get to send more rounds downrange. For hunting, a Weaver 6x can be put on the rifle, or the scope can be removed, as all that's required is to rotate it 90 degrees. Then a bolt with a Rice peep sight can be put in the action.

13Echo
07-27-2013, 05:30 PM
I love a Krag. I have an 1898 that is a totally stock infantry rifle and in excellent condition that, unfortunately, has a sewer pipe barrel. Still makes a group, just not a small one. It's in too good a shape externally to consider messing with though. To remedy this Steve Durren has come up with an action from a Parkenfarker special ( I think it was meant to be a clone of an Asperly Aimless) and I found a really nice piece of walnut. It has all gone back to Steve at Johnson's Sporting Goods to become my light woods and walking around rifle. Twenty inch barrel, mannnlicher length stock cut for off hand with iron sights only. It will be light, smooth working , fast to the shoulder, and beautiful.

Jerry Liles

Tedly
07-27-2013, 06:01 PM
I've got one I paid $50.00 for in 1986 or so....nice basic sporter shoots as well as any other "modern" rifle I've got. On a good day it will shoot jacketed under 1 3/4" @ 100yds. rested...

Del-Ray
08-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Wow. Almost looks exactly like mine. I always thought random people sporterized them. Was there a company doing it on a large basis back then?

Mine is missing the Mag cutoff as well.

John Allen
08-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Krags are great shooters everyone I have seen has super smooth actions.

smoked turkey
08-07-2013, 12:13 AM
This thread came along at a good time for me to show my recently acquired Krag. I am new to Military rifles and fell for this one when I first saw it. It is SN 311,XXX. From my research it is a 3rd Model made in 1901. The barrel is 24" in length. I am assuming it has been "sporterized" by shortening the barrel and replacing the sights and stock. I am in need of the rest of the rear sight, or a Lyman or Redfield that I can mount where the current rear sight base is located. I will also be looking for a used RCBS set of dies and shellholder. Brass too. It takes a lot of stuff to load for a new caliber. Fortunately I have molds I can use. I have yet to slug the barrel. I inspected the bolt lug and it seems to be in good shape. So I hope this one is a shooter.

Scharfschuetze
08-08-2013, 01:19 AM
That new Krag of your looks to be a very well done sporter. Nice wood with what looks to be a great blueing job on it too. I hope it shoots as well as it looks!

Cosmiceyes
08-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Was that on Gunbrooker.com?

smoked turkey
08-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Cosmiceyes if your question was directed to me, yes it started out that way on Gunbroker. Turns out, in later discussion this little number came up and decided to make a drive to see it since it was within commuting distance and the rest is history as they say. I was hoping that someone would point me in the right direction for a replacement rear sight, or might have an extra one to sell. Other than that yes, the rifle turned out to be in pretty good condition I think. I did a search on bolt removal and once I figured that out, I cleaned the bore and it turned out to be very nice. The cost was more than the original poster paid so I don't think I got a steal like he did. But I did get a nice old rifle with a pretty classy looking stock I think.

smoked turkey
08-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Jtknives I really like the rear sight on your rifle and would like to come up with something similar. Can you shed any light on what yours is with perhaps a number or something so I can do a want to buy in that section of the forum? Thanks!

madsenshooter
08-08-2013, 05:48 PM
That's a Pacific rear sight base that is on the rifle. I have one of the gallows arms around here somewhere, along with a whole nother sight. I'll PM you if I can find it without digging things up too much.

Char-Gar
08-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Those old Pacific Krag sights use a base that replaced the magazine cutoff so there are no modifications to the rifle. They do pop up on Ebay from time to time.

The one in the pic below came with the rifle when I bought it in 1960. I paid a whole $15.00 for the rifle.

WILCO
08-08-2013, 06:39 PM
I paid a whole $15.00 for the rifle.

Nice! :)

Char-Gar
08-08-2013, 06:42 PM
There are two Krag rear sights on Ebay at the present time.

One is a Redfield no drill No. 102. It mounts via a side plate screw. Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peep-Sight-missing-Peep-removed-from-1898-Krag-/190880698240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c71604f80

The other is a Rice which mounts on top of the bolt via the screw that holds the extractor on. Here is the link;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Springfield-30-40-Krag-Commercial-Peep-Sight-/330979856333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0fefcfcd

WARNING: Both sights are missing the critical mounting screw. These screws are not common hardware store items and must either be made or modified from an existing screw. If you can't do this yourself, it could prove costly to have one made. Krag sights in general have sky rocketed in price in the past couple of years and the idiots who don't understand these sights pay big prices for them not realizing that mounting screws are not out there on the market. They just can't be found.

Krag screws in general are odd ball. The rear sight screws are the same as the Trapdoor Springfield. The action screws are 1/4 with the same threads as the 03 Springfield, but of odd lengths. They are no too hard to modify or make. Some of the other screws are truly weird, like the side plate screw. I would have to look it up, but it appears to be a screw thread used only for Krag sideplate. A similar screw can be annealed dead soft and made to work.

The large slide screw on the Pacific is a common machine screw and easy to find. Just use a large washer under the head for a good fit.

smoked turkey
08-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Char-Gar and madsenshooter Thanks for the info on the Pacific rear sights. That is the base alright, and the top part is what I need. madsenshooter I hope you can come up with the top half for me. That would be awesome. Of course Char-Gar could sell me his for $15 and then he'd have a free rifle! Probably won't happen so hopefully one unattached to a rifle can be found.

smoked turkey
08-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Char-Gar I didn't see your post with the e-bay links until I had responded above. I put the Redfield on my watch list. We'll see what it does. I haven't tried Numrich yet but I will check to see if they have any screws just in case. Thanks fellows for the very good info. I am going over now to post for dies, shellholder, and brass. I am pretty taken with the old Krag. It appears to be in good shape for such an old rifle.

Char-Gar
08-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Char-Gar I didn't see your post with the e-bay links until I had responded above. I put the Redfield on my watch list. We'll see what it does. I haven't tried Numrich yet but I will check to see if they have any screws just in case. Thanks fellows for the very good info. I am going over now to post for dies, shellholder, and brass. I am pretty taken with the old Krag. It appears to be in good shape for such an old rifle.

Krag rifle screws will not mount the sights in question;

The Redfield requires a longer screw that replaces the side plate screw with a thread (26 TPI) that is no longer made.

The Rice mounts via the screw that holds the extractor in place. This is accessed from beneath the extractor. Some Krags use a pin instead of a screw, but in any rate the screw needs to be longer to protrude above the extractor and go into the Rice sight.

So buying Krag screws won't get you there, as the sight mounting screws are longer than the original rifle screws, and you need the extra length.

madsenshooter
08-09-2013, 12:33 PM
A Springfield or Krag rear band screw will also serve as the mounting screw for the Redfield. Threads on the Krag are odd because in the earliest of its days, the armory was copying French threads, which where nearly metric. I'll look for that gallows arm, but it's one of those, I put it somewhere that I'd know where it's at next time I look for it. Problem is, don't know where that somewhere is.

frnkeore
08-09-2013, 01:59 PM
If anyone is interested, I have a nice Lyman 57K sight. The receive has to be drilled for it.

Frank

SharpsShooter
08-09-2013, 02:57 PM
You will like that Krag for hunting. I use the 311299 very successfully.

SS

smoked turkey
08-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Frank, I am sending you a PM on What you said..."If anyone is interested, I have a nice Lyman 57K sight. The receive has to be drilled for it.
Frank"

Thanks.

JTknives
08-10-2013, 02:01 AM
You will like that Krag for hunting. I use the 311299 very successfully.

SS

Ya that's what I'm going to use it for this year. Going to try my had at getting an elk. We don't have many long shots here. And that's if you can even find them. Most shots are in the woods at 100 yards or less. So with cast I think I will be just dandy.

Cosmiceyes
08-11-2013, 02:09 AM
I bought 6 rear sites today for the US Springfield Krag today. Am I tickled! :)'s

Cosmiceyes
08-16-2013, 02:19 AM
75801Ok...so this is going to turn into a show your Krag event is it? Great as I have four of them. The middle one is my favorite I killed my first deer with it in 1960 and it cost me $15.00 cash money the year before. It had belonged to an old Dentist who got to old to hunt and passed it on.

Bottom rifle is a Mauser. The other Krag is in the shop in pieces at the present time and chose not to show up for the family picture.

So how much do you want for the 2nd one down from the top? :)'s

Cosmiceyes
08-16-2013, 02:28 AM
Cosmiceyes if your question was directed to me, yes it started out that way on Gunbroker. Turns out, in later discussion this little number came up and decided to make a drive to see it since it was within commuting distance and the rest is history as they say. I was hoping that someone would point me in the right direction for a replacement rear sight, or might have an extra one to sell. Other than that yes, the rifle turned out to be in pretty good condition I think. I did a search on bolt removal and once I figured that out, I cleaned the bore and it turned out to be very nice. The cost was more than the original poster paid so I don't think I got a steal like he did. But I did get a nice old rifle with a pretty classy looking stock I think.

There is a Pacific rear peep on a rifle I am looking to buy. I have one Redfield peep,and 3 regular carbine rear sights. I found a whole barreled action without a stock,but finding a regular carbine stock is driving me crazy. Does anyone know of a source on carbine stocks?

Cosmiceyes
08-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Full barreled action,and new military stock coming my way! I will post pictures through build! :)'s

smoked turkey
08-18-2013, 01:19 PM
frnkeore is posted in the straight shooters section as one of them.
I posted the need for a rear sight and Frank said..."I have a nice Lyman 57K sight if anyone is interested."
I did make a deal for it through the PM process. I received it and it is a honey of a sight. I have spoken to a gunsmith in Springfield and plan to take the Krag by sometime this week if I can find the time to have it drilled and tapped for the rear sight. Thanks Frank for helping me get this rifle in shootable condition. I will say that I received other input on different sights and all input is appreciated. Madsenshooter when you come up with the upper gallows arm I am still interested, so please keep me in mind.

Cosmiceyes
08-18-2013, 02:28 PM
frnkeore is posted in the straight shooters section as one of them.
I posted the need for a rear sight and Frank said..."I have a nice Lyman 57K sight if anyone is interested."
I did make a deal for it through the PM process. I received it and it is a honey of a sight. I have spoken to a gunsmith in Springfield and plan to take the Krag by sometime this week if I can find the time to have it drilled and tapped for the rear sight. Thanks Frank for helping me get this rifle in shootable condition. I will say that I received other input on different sights and all input is appreciated. Madsenshooter when you come up with the upper gallows arm I am still interested, so please keep me in mind.

I just contacted shipper yesterday,and he travels for 10 days at a time so shipped this weekend. One ladder is a first model ladder for the bottom piece that has the actual steps for elevation on the sides. The next one is for the roller coaster elevation base. I did find whole sight base units at Numurich Arms too. :)'s

madsenshooter
08-18-2013, 07:05 PM
If you're planning on competing, you'll find the 1898 and 1902 model sights more user friendly. 1/4 turn of the windage knob equals about 2" at 200yd. And, there are little notches on the sides of the leaf on some of them. The amount of elevation has been figured. For example, I have one with very fine notches, each of the notches, I believe mine are 80 to the inch, would equal about 1.5" in elevation at 200yd with a service load. Here's a table, mine is half what is shown here, and there is another leaf with cross hatching that's even finer. I've been shooting 168gr match bullets in my Krag, but can't afford them anymore so I'm looking for the most accurate cast bullet I can find. Got some promising candidates. I haven't found the gallows arm or the Noske side plate yet, about to give up! Course very shortly after I do it'll turn up....

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?32358-Little-differences-1898-and-1902-sights

Cosmiceyes
08-18-2013, 07:40 PM
If you're planning on competing, you'll find the 1898 and 1902 model sights more user friendly. 1/4 turn of the windage knob equals about 2" at 200yd. And, there are little notches on the sides of the leaf on some of them. The amount of elevation has been figured. For example, I have one with very fine notches, each of the notches, I believe mine are 80 to the inch, would equal about 1.5" in elevation at 200yd with a service load. Here's a table, mine is half what is shown here, and there is another leaf with cross hatching that's even finer. I've been shooting 168gr match bullets in my Krag, but can't afford them anymore so I'm looking for the most accurate cast bullet I can find. Got some promising candidates. I haven't found the gallows arm or the Noske side plate yet, about to give up! Course very shortly after I do it'll turn up....

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?32358-Little-differences-1898-and-1902-sights

Interesting discussion on the site. I copied the pictures for reference to use when the sights arrive.

smoked turkey
08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
I had plans to install a Lyman 57 on my Krag rifle. I received the sight yesterday and it is a dandy. My Krag does not have the rear ladder sight. All it has for a rear sight is a small square sight base that is installed in place of the lever on the left side of the action that permits the next round to pass through. the chamber. This sight base has a rod attached to it that goes into the action. I am thinking that this is required for the Krag to allow cartridges to pass up into the bolt area so they can be fed on into the chamber. I am not sure what this lever is supposed to be called. If you have a Krag rifle you will be familiar with what I am saying. My Krag does not have the top horizontal bar that I think madsenshooter calls a gallows arm (?). This appears to attach to the square base with a screw. I believe some have referred to this set up as a Pacific rear peep that replaced the lever. That is what I posted far back in this thread that I needed.
Now here is what I am wondering after removing the sight base today and finding the short arm that extends back into the action: It does not seem like there is room in the area of the existing sight base for a conventional Lyman 57 rear peep sight that utilizes two screws for mounting to the Krag action without some other modifications to the rifles action. Also do I need to retain the rod that goes back into the action in order for the rifle to feed cartridges? I planned to take my rifle to the gunsmith in a couple of days for drilling/tapping for the Lyman. Now I'm not sure that I can do what I have planned. I am confused and need some guidance at this point. Sorry if I seem so dull and unknowing about this set up, but I guess the problem is I am dull and unknowing at this point! Thanks for some clarification.

Char-Gar
08-18-2013, 10:28 PM
I really am not familiar with the Lyman 57 K, but I am thinking it fits on the right side of the action behind the bolt handle. This is where the later Redfield alloy 102s went. This is the same place sights are mounted on the Mauser, Springfield and many other rifles. This would involve drilling and tapping two 6-48 holes and screwing the sight base on.

The Pacific and Redfield fit on the left side of the action, as does the Lyman 48. The Lyman 48 requires the milling and grinding of the side plate to relieve it for a proper fit. If you could post a picture of the 57 I could be certain.

The Krag rifle does not require either the Pacific base or the magazine cut off for proper function. I would however, hunt up a magazine cut off on Ebay and install it on your rifle as that is the way god and Springfield Armory intended for it to be. No sense going against the cosmos, for that makes for bad karma, don't you know. Make certain you get the spring and plunger with the cut off.

You are not dull or unknowing. Don't be so hard on yourself. There is a first time for everybody and everything. Experience and knowledge is the result of a string of first times for everything.

Scharfschuetze
08-18-2013, 10:41 PM
ST,

Can you post of picture of your sight and action?

Cosmiceyes
08-19-2013, 02:04 AM
I am confused and need some guidance at this point. Sorry if I seem so dull and unknowing about this set up, but I guess the problem is I am dull and unknowing at this point! Thanks for some clarification.

Everyone is "ignorant" of lots of things,and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the great reasons I am on this site is because of the vast amount of shared knowledge. These people help me all the time everyday! Dull equals boring. What your trying to achieve is neither. I am rather simplistic when I post my questions,and just say I suffer from ignorance please help. They do help! :)'s

madsenshooter
08-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Actually, some rifles do require the magazine cutoff, what the rod of your Pacific sight is replacing, to be in there. Without something in there the rim of the case can catch in the slot that's left without one. I even had a friend that was using a Redfield on the left who had to make a cutoff shaft to go behind the Redfield so that the cartridges would feed right in his 96 carbine. This might effect 92 and 96 rifles and carbines more since they have a longer cutoff shaft, but seems to be an individual rifle thing. If you get too confused ST just drop us a PM.

smoked turkey
08-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Boy, you guys have been a wealth of information for me on this Krag. You also have been beyond nice regarding my newbie questions regarding the Krag. I have been is this game a long long time, but this old military thing is new for me. I'll tell you I am really pumped about this Springfield Armory Model of 1898. I guess the working part of my brain is on the wrong side because I didn't think of moving the sight to the right side of the action. It is like driving on the wrong side with the steering wheel to me. But after the comment I do recall seeing 1903 Springfields with the Lyman on the right side. I also like the idea of going back with the cartridge cut-off. More stuff to buy. Wha-Who!! I placed the Lyman on that side and if one puts it in just the right spot the bolt will still open and the cartridge box will too. That's good I think. An additional problem is that the peep will have to be turned around 180 degrees so the screw in aperture will screw in. Also, and this is picky I know, but there is a small sliding scale that will need to be installed on the opposite side which will require a tiny hole D/T for the tiny screw. I am planning to take it to the smith tomorrow to see if it is a go. I would like to post pictures after the work is done to show off my "new" rifle. Thanks all very much for your valuable input.

Bob S
08-20-2013, 11:58 PM
I even had a friend that was using a Redfield on the left who had to make a cutoff shaft to go behind the Redfield so that the cartridges would feed right in his 96 carbine. This might effect 92 and 96 rifles and carbines more since they have a longer cutoff shaft, but seems to be an individual rifle thing.

Actually, I have found it to be the opposite. My favorite '98 needs the cutoff, my 92's and 96's do not. For my favorite '98, I filed a notch in a spare cuttoff, a clearance cut for the Redfield clamp. For my 92/96 sporters with Redfield sights, I just removed the cutoffs, and all is well.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

smoked turkey
08-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I am looking for a magazine cut off lever for my model 1898 SA 30-40 Krag. It was mentioned that a spring and screw is also needed for the installation. I have looked at the schematic and confess I didn't see where the spring and screw is needed, but I don't doubt there is more to it than just the lever. I am going to post this on the WTB section, but I wanted to put this here just in case someone wouldn't see it over there and vice-versa. I hope that double posting is not in violation of anything. If so my apology. Thanks.

Cosmiceyes
08-21-2013, 05:23 PM
You can WTB as many places as you want. Just one place on the WTS. :)'s

I am looking for a magazine cut off lever for my model 1898 SA 30-40 Krag. It was mentioned that a spring and screw is also needed for the installation. I have looked at the schematic and confess I didn't see where the spring and screw is needed, but I don't doubt there is more to it than just the lever. I am going to post this on the WTB section, but I wanted to put this here just in case someone wouldn't see it over there and vice-versa. I hope that double posting is not in violation of anything. If so my apology. Thanks.

Char-Gar
08-21-2013, 10:03 PM

You don't need a screw and spring. You need a plunger and spring. The magazine cut off has a spring which pushed the plunger into a detent in the action to hold the cut off in it's various positions. To remove the cut off you have to depress the plunger and pull the cut off to the rear. When you install one, you have to do the reverse.

smoked turkey
08-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks Char-Gar for the info. OK I can see what you are describing to me. There was the cutoff lever only that just went earlier this evening on ebay for $9.95 + ship which was not too bad. It did not have anything with it so I stayed away for that reason and also I thought I'd give this forum a little time to work. Something might shake out. So if I have it right, what I need is the cut off, a plunger , and spring sounds like. Three pieces to make it work. I am working up some brass now so I will have some ready when my rifle returns. I plan to slug the barrel, check the twist rate, and if I get ambitious I will do a chamber cast just for the fun of it. I will probably use my 314299 to start with. I am thinking of sizing at .311 to start with. However the lead slug will tell me what I really need. Thanks. You have been a big help.

Cosmiceyes
08-22-2013, 02:22 AM
"The American Krag Rifle and Carbine"by Joe Poyer is a inexpensive book that describes individual parts by years ans serial numbers.I paid 17.00 for mine.Midway is cheaper than Amazon,but Amazon is faster. I wonder if someone has a eye on another book with more details such as sights dis-assembly for the different years ????? There are 7 different cutoffs. Early ones used a flat spring,and the last used a coil spring,and a plunger to utilize a detente. :)'s

smoked turkey
08-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks Cosmiceyes for the info on the book and different parts. Mine is not a collector grade so it is not necessary to have the "correct" cutoff lever. Only need to make sure it will fit and work when I get one. According to my limited research, mine is a third model made in 1901. I don't know if that is considered early or last in the production run. So thanks for the heads up on it. I think I will look into the book anyway because these things interest me.

Char-Gar
08-22-2013, 12:03 PM
The rate of twist is 1-10 and the barrel groove could go from .308 to .314. The largest I have runs .312. You first bullet choice is excellent. Size .311 if you like and then size .313 and report the results back.

RCBS makes a nifty 30 caliber cast bullet expander with spuds that run from .308 to .312 by .001s. It is a good think to have in your Krag or any other 30 caliber reloading kit.

Be very, very careful with your Krag, hold it to long and shoot if to often and you will be hooked. These things can be quite addictive. You will find yourself taking orphaned and stray Krags home to keep them out of unworthy hands.

Cosmiceyes
08-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks Cosmiceyes for the info on the book and different parts. Mine is not a collector grade so it is not necessary to have the "correct" cutoff lever. Only need to make sure it will fit and work when I get one. According to my limited research, mine is a third model made in 1901. I don't know if that is considered early or last in the production run. So thanks for the heads up on it. I think I will look into the book anyway because these things interest me.

That would put you at #7. Collector is anything 30-40 as my 200 Year of American Liberty Ruger #3 was. Browning has one,Winchester too! :)'s

madsenshooter
08-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Hopefully the plunger and spring will already be in any cutoff you buy ST. There are two lengths of cutoff, a model 98 should take a shorter one, though some early 98s still took the long one.

Cosmiceyes
08-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I thought my stock was going to come in yesterday,but it didn't? Great American Gunstock Company!

Cosmiceyes
08-25-2013, 07:15 PM

The sights are here.A 1902 needing a spring.1901 someone took apart,and shouldn't have.It is missing the peep sight to go on the slide bar.A complete 1892.A second ladder for 1892.A ladder for a 1894-6.

smoked turkey
08-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Cosmiceyes for the info. I know you are anxious to get your build going. I am anxious to get my Krag back from the smith with the Lyman #57 installed. I will need to slug the bore in order to find the correct boolit dia. I also like to do that in order to feel the boolit as it goes down the bore in order to see if anything feels amiss along the way.
I am thinking I would like to find the arm for my base even though I don't think I will have a need for it. I have also thought of selling the base in order to pay some on my expenses for getting the sight installed. Haven't decided what to do for sure.

Char-Gar
08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Sell that Pacific base, there is somebody out there looking for one.

Cosmiceyes
08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
It will be easier to sell what you have than to buy the part you need. If the Lyman is steel,you'll never need another. Once the holes are drilled it can use both Lyman, Redfield,and Williams. You'll never have to worry about the cutoff lever! :)'s

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/lorem-ipsum/original-manuals/
Very nice Manual for many old guns.Scroll down the list to US Krag,click to open it up,and then save as in your computer.

Cosmiceyes
08-28-2013, 02:52 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=361782587

Two more days for sale at $40.00 the Pacific upper system for peep sight! :)'s

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=361782587

madsenshooter
08-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Yea but, I just bought a whole Pacific sight for the Krag for $35 including shipping.

Cosmiceyes
08-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Yea but, I just bought a whole Pacific sight for the Krag for $35 including shipping.

Great! Does anyone know how to get JB Wield out of screw holes on a barrel????????

JTknives
08-29-2013, 06:10 PM
if you heat JB weld it will get soft and can be picked out

smoked turkey
08-29-2013, 11:31 PM
I have decided to propose a trade in order to try to come up with a magazine cut-off for my Model 1898 Krag rifle. It is in S.N. range 411,XXX which puts it a third model made in 1901. The round rod on my sight base is 1 5/8" long. I am not sure that dictates the length of the rod I need for my Krag but I think it might be important. From earlier posts I believe I also need a spring and plunger with the cut-off arm. I thought I would try the posting here since I believe more users of the Krag are here and understand what parts are offered and what is needed. Any takers or any other info needed, please ask. Thanks. You all have been a ton of help to me on this. I know you will all be glad when I get this thing shooting! So will I. Please shoot me a PM if you have anything you think we can trade on. Thanks.

Cosmiceyes
08-31-2013, 01:52 AM
if you heat JB weld it will get soft and can be picked out

Thank you sir! :)'s