PDA

View Full Version : Bacon in oven

The Dove
07-07-2013, 03:47 PM
I have always cooked my bacon on the stove in a cast iron skillet or in the microwave on one of those fancy rack things. Does anyone cook it in the oven? If so, temp/time/etc.... and any advise.

Thanks

The Dove

Sweetpea
07-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Use the broiling pan, and set oven to broil.

As far as time, that depends how crispy you like it!

Brandon

Rick N Bama
07-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Ours is cooked in the oven on the Convection setting at 425deg. It's cooked until it's done so I can't say how long it takes.

Rick

Baja_Traveler
07-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I dredge my bacon in my paprika rub and bake it slow at 250* for 30 minutes.

Candy of the gods.

Put a slice on an egg sandwich - heaven...

wch
07-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Cover a baking sheet or two with aluminum foil and lay the bacon in them. (I just jumble the slices a bit, no need to be too precise in your arrangement). I use a regular oven at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes and drain the cooked bacon on 2 layers of paper towels on top of cooling racks, having blotted up excess grease.

Alchemist
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
350 degrees for about 20 minutes, turn it over and bake another 10 minutes or so. Keep an eye on it and don't over cook it. It gets crispier as it cools. I usually leave it with a bit of the fat still in it, then when cool I put it in a container and store in the fridge. Wrap a couple slices in a paper towel and microwave for about 20 seconds in the morning and stuff it in an english muffin. Mmmm breakfast.

gbrown
07-09-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't like bacon crisp, but cooked and soft. My mother always used a cast iron skillet which cooks it fine, but unevenly. Working in a cook house for scouts, we used the aluminum cake pans, 13 X 18 to cook it. I started using my jerky racks I get at Gander Mountain and the cake pans. A strip of bacon fits across the the rack (set in the pan) and the whole rack will hold a pound of bacon. As Alchemist posted, about 20 minutes at 350 for me, and then leave some in for another 5 to 10 for wife who wants it "well done".(cooked to carbon, practically) Spray rack/pan with cooking spray and it is a pretty easy clean up. Also prepares a whole package at one time. Don't forget to let the pan cool and pour grease into container for future use!

Outpost75
07-09-2013, 10:17 AM
US Navy mess manual says 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Works for me!

sparky45
07-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Convection microwave oven @ 425 for thin sliced and 450 for thick, for 12-15 minutes. Drain and enjoy.

jim147
07-11-2013, 02:47 AM
I put a pound of bacon on two half sheet pans. I turn the oven on to 325° and put the bacon in the while the oven heats up. After the oven reach's temp and the house had a good bacon smell, I flip the bacon and rotate the pans. It can cook very quickly at this point so you have to watch it close.

I'm not sure that I keep time on anything that I cook. It's done when it's done.

jim

Reverend Al
07-15-2013, 01:49 PM
OK, now that just sounded WAY too good not to try out ... so I took some thick sliced bacon and dredged it in a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and paprika and baked them for 30 - 35 minutes at 300 degrees (to allow for the thicker sliced bacon). Oh my word ... talk about good!
:happy dance:

I dredge my bacon in my paprika rub and bake it slow at 250* for 30 minutes. Candy of the gods.

Smitty's Retired
07-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Beer – Bacon Candy

1 lb thick-cut, bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp beer

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine brown sugar and beer in a small bowl, whisking well to form a thin syrup. Set aside.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top. Place the pieces of bacon on top of the rack, overlapping if necessary. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and brush one side of the bacon with the beer syrup. Flip, and coat the other side with the syrup as well.

Return to oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and repeat process another time or two more, until bacon is crispy and browned, and you’ve used all the glaze.
Cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.

I tried this recipe and found that my oven worked best at 375 degrees and around 15 min without burning on the initial start of cooking. It only took about three times. Plus I've found if you use a dark stout it only takes just shy of ¼ cup. It also seems to work better if you have the beer at room temperature.

Note: A friend of mine substituted Dr. Pepper for the beer, he said he let it sit out until it had lost a little of the fizz and room temp and that it was good. I havn't tried the Dr. Pepper, so I'll have to experiment with it.

Whiterabbit
07-17-2013, 01:19 PM
oven cooked bacon is by far (by far) the best way to cook bacon. Only downside is no pan of ready-to-go fat to cook the rest of your heart-attack breakfast in!

These guys have time and temp covered. I will just say two things.

1. bacon needs to drain to be at its tastiest. So on a rack over a drip pan is best.
2. bacon does NOT need to be flipped. Can cook in one shot and go.

3. I'm not happy, now I want bacon at this moment.

kayak1
07-18-2013, 11:11 PM
350 20 - 30 minutes. I do place them on a cookie cooling rack over a foil lined pan. In the summer it's,on the grill also at ~350F.

Whiterabbit
07-18-2013, 11:51 PM
,on the grill also at ~350F.

sweet merciful ****! My weekend is planned now.

jaysouth
08-04-2013, 10:56 PM
For several years I owned a restaurant that had a pretty amazing breakfast business. We started cooking bacon at 0500 so we could open at 0700 and have enough bacon to make it through breakfast and lunch. The bacon I bought was called 'layout'. A sheet of paper the exact size of a 1/2 baking pan had bacon 'laid out' so that the edges didn't touch. Each box held 15 or 20 pounds of bacon on sheets. Lift a sheet of bacon from the box, put it in the pan and then to the oven. It was cooked 8 pans at a time in a convection oven at 350 until desired doneness. It has to be watched, each box was different with regard to cooking time.

If you have parchment paper, tear off a length and line your sheet pan before laying out the bacon. That will save you a lot of time cleaning up. Foil is OK too.

Bacon, one of the major food grips. I always tried to figure out how to wrap donuts in bacon and deep fry then dip in chocolate. My doc is glad I never did. Bacon and beer are both proof that God loves you but demands that you act in a responsible fashion.

Outpost75
08-04-2013, 11:05 PM
This compares closely to how bacon was done at sea aboard US Navy ships into the 1970s. We reveived flats of bacon the same way, the directions in the mess manual were 300 degs F for 30 minutes. A mesh screen placed over the flats to prevent spatter and a slotted broiler pan used to catch the grease, which wS used for cooking grease in the galley. Spam and grilled cheese on toast was a favorite flight meal on Yankee Station.John McCain was a devotee on Oriskany before the fire.