PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing Schools

blade
07-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Anyone know of any gunsmithing classes online? What about courses to attend? Anyone able to recommend one or two?

Thanks.

khmer6
07-07-2013, 02:12 AM
I don't know about online courses. But i do believe the curriculum of most gun smith school has different stages and projects such as putting green together a 1911 from a Caspian frame. Finishing a stock from a blank. Things of that nature. Gun smithing is custom work, not just replacing a worn out spring or broken firing pin

wv109323
07-08-2013, 10:42 PM
I understand the online courses are not detailed enough to start a professional business of gunsmithing. There are 3 or 4 colleges that offer a degree in gunsmithing. One in Pittsburgh, one in North Carolina and one in Colorado. Do your homework before signing up. I understand some of the colleges have waiting lists for classes.

Mk42gunner
07-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Gunsmithing is a very hands on procedure, I would recommend attending classes in person.

The NRA puts on several 1-2 week courses at various schools around the country. Lassen County Community College in Susanville, CA is one that I have attended. There is also one in Tishamingo, OK.

If you need to stay where you are, see if you can find any machinist courses locally.

Robert

JIMinPHX
07-10-2013, 10:28 PM
I would stay AWAY from AGI.

Andrew Mason
07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
I would stay AWAY from AGI.

why is that?

I know nothing of them, and am not trying to defend them any way,
just looking for details.

JIMinPHX
07-12-2013, 04:18 PM
why is that?

I know nothing of them, and am not trying to defend them any way,
just looking for details.

A friend of mine in the Phoenix area has a fondness for high precision long range rifles. He has spent a lot of money over the years on slicked up rifles from places like Georgia Precision. He has a nice collection. Several years ago, he came to me with 2 videos from AGI on "super tuning the factory rifle" & asked me if I would watch them & then preform the recommended procedures on a low end rifle that he had.

I watched the videos & was horrified at what I saw. In my opinion, the guy in that video series, took a nice factory rifle & turned it into a piece of junk that I would not feel safe firing. The craftsmanship was bad. The instruction was bad. Unreasonable assumptions were made about what was needed on the rifle.

If you would like me to go into greater detail on the specific issues that I had with the events in those two videos, I will be happy to do so. It will probably fill about a page & a half.

This was the only contact that I have ever had with AGI, but it generated a strong opinion on my part.

Regards,
Jim

blade
07-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Hey guys,
I just got my letter, I have been accepted to the GS school in NC. I have heard from several that it is a very good school. I guess I will be posting many questions. The GS school is supposed to be a 1 year certificate course. Anyone know anyone that completed that cert course?

Thanks,
B

MrWolf
07-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Congradulations and best of luck.