PDA

View Full Version : easy 45-70 blanks

Matt85
07-06-2013, 10:47 PM
so I wanted to make some blanks for my trapdoor to shoot off on the 4th. after a little bit of thinking juice (also known as whiskey) I came up with: Hornady lever revolution cases (just what I had on hand), Remington 9 1/2 primers, KIK 1F, two .060 veggy wads, and about 1/8 tea spoon of all veggy Crisco (I wasn't exact, I just used a clump of Crisco).

easy: just fill the case with 1F then compress 1/4". now put a 0.060 wad over the powder and put a chunk of Crisco over that. now push another wad over the top and using a light finger pressure push the top wad down till just before Crisco pushes around the wad.

these blanks worked incredibly well! they produced a good sound, flash, and plenty of smoke. they even gave a little push back on the shooter which just added fun for the kids who shot the old war horse. now the best part of these puppies is that they produced a very soft easy to clean fouling. it should be noted that if its warm out try to keep these in the shade and pointed nose down just in case the Crisco melts and drips (I didn't have this problem at 80F though).

-matt

Cosmiceyes
07-07-2013, 03:26 AM
You could next time use the case to punch out cardboard wads.use junk brass;small hammer;box;and some wooden board.Make sure the primer is out.When you fill up the case put a primer in,and shoot.5 gallon bucket works fine for collecting the wads.

CanoeRoller
07-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Original Military 45-70 blanks had a cwad over the powder, with a fairly significant crimp on the mouth of the case, leaving perhaps 2/3 of the mouth open.