PDA

View Full Version : .224 RBT dimensions?

jimrk
07-06-2013, 08:51 PM
I would like to “attempt” to make the 2 die RBT add on for my RCE .224 set. Anyone have the dimensions for the following?

Thanks

aaronraad
07-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Are you sure you want to copy something less than perfect to begin with?

Best bet would be to use the dimensions from the JLK/Swampwork website and work back from there using the B&A die design pdf. You can find the nominal dimensions on Corbins website for (a), (A) and (B) with a bit of time. Springback will get you, that's why I recommend using the B&A pdf.

I have the RCE add set in .224 but still prefer the single die and punch version that Larry Blackmon makes.

Bryan Litz's book Applied Ballsitics for Long Range Shooting - 2nd Edt. also has a number of dimension that you can use and scale up/down to the calibre you need.

Lizard333
07-08-2013, 08:35 AM
What's wrong with RCE's RBT set? I have it and use it with excellent results.

Reload3006
07-08-2013, 10:01 AM
My rebated set gives me .25moa so I Dont see the issue. in terms of it not being perfect. its a lot better than I am so that is all i need. the difference between a boat tail and rebated boat tail is the rebated boat tail is easier on tooling. to make a straight up boat tail you need knife sharp forming and supporting punches. This makes them very susceptible to damage. So if there is not enough ballistic difference to justify the more fragile tooling I am going with the sturdier and more cost effective tool. But hey thats me. as far as dimensions are concerned check out the Corbin web site they are there and will be different depending on caliber.

MIBULLETS
07-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I think what he is getting at is the "perfect" dimensions, not that others won't shoot well. Byran Litz I believe says somewhere between 7 and 12 degrees is best, closer to the 7 is better. Corbin's dimensions are different for different calibers, but generally about 1/2 a caliber long I think.

jimrk
07-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info.. Not really looking for perfect, just a good starting point. My thought was to make this my first reamer project.. a little less complex then point form die. Dave does have a lot of info so will dig deeper. Richard has less hype but still waiting for missing chapters.. maybe in his spare time :)

Lizard333
07-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Don't hold your breath on waiting for the "missing" chapters. I've been waiting or more than a couple years..... Give him a break. He's a busy man, hopefully working on a set of my dies..... I'm expecting them very soon.

jimrk
07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Was just kidding, he is way busy.. Nice guy, met him when I picked up my Multi-swage a few years ago at his place. When you order from Richard you need to go do other hobbies and be surprised when the Brown truck comes. I have some things on order also.

jimrk
07-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Found the numbers I was looking for here http://www.swage.com/ftp/specs.pdf