PDA

View Full Version : Electric Pot is Dead

smokemjoe
10-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Help: I have a lyman electric pot that looks like the Saeco pot. I got this about 25 years ago and used it very little just for pure lead for rd. balls, Still looks like new. Got it out today and its dead, took off the cover and it looks like new inside and nothing burned out. What can I do to make it work, Thanks for the help. Joe

454PB
10-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Usually problems like this are just a loose or burned off electrical connection. Do you own an electric multimeter? If so, check for potential at all the connections in the circuit, including both sides of the thermostat. If you find all points "hot", then remove the leads on the heating element and check for resistance. If there is none, the element has failed.

Pepe Ray
10-02-2007, 10:48 PM
1. Seperate the cord from terminals.
2. Make a continuity tester. ( Flashlight battery+bulb, couple of wires,some elec'l tape.) If your smart enough to play w/guns you should be able to figure it out.
3. Test your wires for oopenings.
4. test your heating element for openings
5. test your thermo. control for function at some point.
Thats all there is. No magic.
Good luck, Pepe Ray

Dale53
10-03-2007, 12:50 AM
If you have a Lyman 11 lb pot and the element is dead I may have a solution for you. Let me know and I'll look (I may still have one new cast iron bowl with element left). It'll be less pricey than buying a complete new pot.

Dale53

44man
10-03-2007, 07:49 AM
My Lyman is going on 46 years old. The main trouble I had was the thermostat. I called Lyman for a replacement and when I gave the lady the number, she laughed.
Wire connections and the thermostat points were always the problem. I eliminated the thermostat and use a voltage control instead and it still works, only better then ever. The elements seem to be boolit proof--- :roll: so I would check everything else first.

Freightman
10-03-2007, 09:58 AM
I have an old 11# Lyman and it died, got to looking at the cord and the end that looks like a appliance plugin that plugs to the pot had a wire burned in to. I took a heavey duty extension and cut the female end off and put the lyman plug in on it and works like new again. So ck inside the female end and see if it has come loose or burned into.

smokemjoe
10-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I checked the cord and is okey, I will have to take it to friend that has one of them tools,I am scared of electric even when its not plugged in.

TAWILDCATT
10-08-2007, 09:17 PM
my saeco has lost its thermostat looking at lees made me think it would work $7.00.i still think the Lyman came from the same factory that Saeco did.as it went bottoms up the same time.:coffee:--:coffee:--:Fire:

Morgan Astorbilt
10-12-2007, 10:51 PM
You're right Wildcat, they were both made by the American Furnace Company, which I believe is out of business.
Morgan

Dale53
10-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Years ago, I had my Lyman 11 lb pot thermostat fail. A replacement was found at an appliance parts distributor - it was identical to one for a clothes iron (you know, what your wife uses to press your shirts).

The distributor is long gone and the only suggestion I might have is McMasters-Carr.

Dale53

montana_charlie
10-13-2007, 02:12 PM
it was identical to one for a clothes iron (you know, what your wife uses to press your shirts).

The distributor is long gone...
The wife who presses shirts may well be on the verge of extinction, too.
CM

smokemjoe
10-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Okey: Where can I get the part, Would one out of a iron work, Thanks- Joe

montana_charlie
10-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I guess you are asking about the thermostat.
You have to take the old one out (so you can see the numbers on it) then take it to an electrical repair shop...and let that guy read the numbers.

If you post the numbers (and any other information) here, one of us might get lucky and find a source for you.

But, what are the indications that lead you to believe the existing thermostat is bad?
CM