PDA

View Full Version : epoxy coat

lunicy
07-06-2013, 07:43 AM
With all the talk about powder coating boolits....
I re-glaze tubs and tile as part of my current business.
The coating I use is a hard coating. 2 part plus thinner and sprayed with a hvlp sprayer.

Anyone ever think of using this?

Any thoughts?

The stuff I use is similar to the tub refinishing kits you can get at Home Depot. I believe the home depot stuff is made by Klienks (SP?)

It's in the paint section.

I will eventually get around to trying it, but if anyone with time on their hands wants to try it before I get to it, Please post results.

Thanks

castalott
07-06-2013, 08:52 AM
I have no idea what coating you are talking about but I went to Ace to buy some epoxy paint- you know- the kind you mix. The owner talked and talked about this spray epoxy that was sooooooo tough. ( I have never heard of a spray epoxy or an epoxy you didn't have to mix hardener with.)

Anyway, I bought it and it is a failure so far. It doesn't adhere well enough. Maybe my methods were at fault. I might try again later. But maybe not as I have HITEK on the way.

I will say this- You can really coat the boolits with a spray can. They looked great. I did so wish for it to work. Maybe I needed to prep the lead with something so the paint would stick better.

Hmmm...Thinking back, I didn't bake that coating.....just let it dry. I think I'll try again as that coating went on so well....Dale

lunicy
07-06-2013, 09:04 AM
the stuff at home depot is a 2 part. I've seen the spray can "epoxy" paints as well. They baffle me. Epoxy needs a catalyst (hardener).

castalott
07-06-2013, 09:18 AM
The 2 part epoxy might work. Would one need to add a lube? Maybe one could tumble the painted bullets in something....I even considered he 45-45-10 mixture.

I think this paint has great possibilities. Somewhere out there is a quantim leap....

BBQJOE
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I have bought a Behr product that was a one part epoxy garage floor paint.
It's not a bad product, but I believe the "one part" epoxy thing is a hoax.

lunicy
07-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I have bought a Behr product that was a one part epoxy garage floor paint.
It's not a bad product, but I believe the "one part" epoxy thing is a hoax.
I've used that. It's seems like a suspension, but sure as heck not an epoxy in a traditional sense.

lunicy
07-06-2013, 09:03 PM
The 2 part epoxy might work. Would one need to add a lube? Maybe one could tumble the painted bullets in something....I even considered he 45-45-10 mixture.

I think this paint has great possibilities. Somewhere out there is a quantim leap....

The other threads on powdercoating don't use any add'l lube. I was thinking along the same lines.

Mike Hughes
07-07-2013, 12:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiFxAPtx4c0

zidave
07-07-2013, 05:15 AM
I recently discovered this video and I am very interested in trying the recipe. If it works as well as he says it does then I won't be doing any more pan lubing.

Keola5o4
07-21-2013, 06:50 PM
I resurface tubs my self "acid wash and etc." Tryed to resurface the boolits once awhile back and the coating broke apart like glass because its made almost like the characteristics of porcelain, but it is apoxy base with second part fiberglass clear coat but the hardener is disappointing when shot because it because the coating flakes off, not flexible.

evil5826
07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Successful with klass kote 2 part paint and hbn powder. Just curious if anyone has found a way way to prevent the bullets from sticking to each other. Currently using hardware cloth. Better results with videos way then with other retail stuff out there. Other stuff flaked, probably my fault but klass kote has allot more leniency. Wiederlader has some great vids.

Good Cheer
07-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Been thinking about trying a tenacious spray paint coating on maxihunters prior to finger lubing when loading. Have absolutely no idea if an improvement in resistance to gas cutting and leading could be realized or for that matter how the coating would behave when the maxihunter swells to fill the grooves. But it's bound to be fun to find out!

Does anyone use a solution to etch boolits prior to coating?

shadowcaster
07-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Does anyone use a solution to etch boolits prior to coating?

Good question.. Or do they just need a quick clean with acetone? I would also like to know if anyone has used this on rifle boolits?

Shad

lunicy
07-29-2013, 06:37 PM
I resurface tubs my self "acid wash and etc." Tryed to resurface the boolits once awhile back and the coating broke apart like glass because its made almost like the characteristics of porcelain, but it is apoxy base with second part fiberglass clear coat but the hardener is disappointing when shot because it because the coating flakes off, not flexible.

Yep, just got around to experimenting with it myself. It didn't hold. I tried a few plain. I tried a few cleaned in acetone. I tried a few cleaned in denatured alcohol.

They looked pretty, but didn't hold up to the slightest pressure. I put them on my anvil press, and under the slightes pressure, the coating flaked off.

evil5826
07-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Took a hammer to bullets i created from the method above and it turned out awesome. No flaking
Picture shows bullet on the left after two coats and has been through the sizer. Bullet on the right has had a hammer applied to it.77626

Shooting this Friday 8-2-13 will follow up with the results.

07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
impressive! which method above?
Took a hammer to bullets i created from the method above and it turned out awesome. No flaking
Picture shows bullet on the left after two coats and has been through the sizer. Bullet on the right has had a hammer applied to it.77626

evil5826
07-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Post 8 by Mike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiFxAPtx4c0

I seen this video a while ago cause i subscribe to his vids.

evil5826
08-02-2013, 02:55 PM
See here for my results
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=2330265

Keola5o4
08-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Is that tub resurface material or is that the piglet method with apoxy and thinner agent?

Keola5o4
08-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Already put 1000 of these through my barrel.

evil5826
08-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Is that tub resurface material or is that the piglet method with apoxy and thinner agent?

2 part klass kote paint 1 part klass kote hardener and 2.5 cc hbn powder. No thinner.

Skip62
08-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Hey evil5826, curious why 2 paint, and 1 hardner. Klass Kote calls for 1 to 1. Is there an advantage?

evil5826
08-14-2013, 02:01 AM
Just what the vid said to do. I know it's different paint but went with it.

Skip62
08-14-2013, 08:43 PM
cool, what ever works