PDA

View Full Version : Gonna do some loading today

Ithaca Gunner
07-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I can't stop thinking about small game season in November and the chance to walk the woods and fields with my favorite Ithaca '37 again!

First on the list will be some heavy Pheasant loads with #4 shot, then some lighter #4 shot loads for Rabbit. These are my usual fare for Fall hunting season. Now, what makes this year special is, it'll be my grandson's first hunting season!:mrgreen: I've already given him his gun of choice, my old Remington Wingmaster I bought new for the 1967 hunting season, but it's still a bit big for him, so I found a New England Firearms single shot 12ga. at a yard sale for $50.00 that should fit just fine, (actually, for $50.00 I would have bought it anyway!).

I thought of buying him a 20ga. to start with, but reloading, I can load some light 12's and don't have to worry about two different gauge shells. I'm just waiting for my BPI order to show up to get started on loading shells for him that won't turn him off from shooting and make him feel relaxed when he lines up on a bird, or rabbit. I'm thinking about loading some 3/4oz. loads to start him off with and gradually working up to 1 1/4oz. over the summer. So far all he's shot is my .22's and AR-15. I've had him practice pointing the Wingmaster, but I can see it's too big for him right now. I can't wait to see his face when I give him the NEF! He's still going to practice with his Wingmaster, (and I want him to have it) but I think actually hunting with it may have to wait a year or two until he grows into it.

So far I've given him my Rossi 62 carbine, Remington Wingmaster, MY grand-dad's Mossberg .22, and a vintage 1894 Winchester .30WCF special order rifle, and an NRA membership. I think he's set for a little while...

longbow
07-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I tried to talk my son into getting a .410 for his first shotgun but he wanted a Remington 870 in 12 ga. and there was no discouraging him. So, we picked up a used Remington 870 and he tried it out with my relatively light trap loads but found recoil a bit much. He was 12 or 13 at the time and not a small kid but he wanted a little lighter recoil.

I picked a 1 oz. load and dropped the powder charge a bit and that did it for him. He had no trouble after that but since it was a light load we set up targets and checked pattern. I set him a range limit where he had a dense enough pattern and that is what he used for a year or two until he bulked up a bit. Worked out well.

Even a 12 ga. can be tamed and not slap lightweight kids and women around. There is not too much you can't do with a 12 ga. from 3/4 oz. light loads to pretty hefty waterfowl, buckshot and slug loads.

You might check out BPI's English style loads in short hulls too. They have loading info.

Good for you getting the boy set up and out hunting!

Longbow

stripercrazy
07-07-2013, 09:57 AM
sounds like you guys will be having a lot of fun :)