PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Cast BPCR bullets

Dragoon 45
07-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Went over to a friends for the 4th for a cookout. He had just bought a .40-65 Highwall, but does not have time to cast or have the moulds so he ordered bullets from a commercial caster. He showed me the bullets he received and after looking at a few of them I would have thrown every bullet he had back into the pot. The bullets were wrinkled, had rounded or poorly formed bases, were not totally filled out on the driving bands, lube was not applied evenly in the lube grooves, and every one looked like the sprue had been torn out of the base instead of a clean cut (craters in the bases). And what really suprised me was the lube was melting in 80 degree heat. With the poor quality of the bullets, I don't see how they can be even close to the caster's claim that every bullet in the box is within +/- 1 grn of weight.

I advised him that if it was me I would send them back for either a refund or replacements. I don't want to name the commercial caster just yet pending what he decides to do, but boy oh boy, for an outfit that has a supposedly good reputation these were some very poor products.

I told him I would give him bullets for the next match and for practice. But if he is going to rely on commercial casters for his bullets, he needs to find a new supplier.

The only outfit I have dealt with on cast bullets is BACO, which puts out a good product. Any other recommendations I can give him?

Don McDowell
07-04-2013, 11:30 PM
John Olsen, Miles City Mt. 406-853-0196
All the bullets I've got from him have been first rate, I know he cast the bullets for a number of the high finishers at various matches in that part of the world.
He's developed his own bp lube , word has it it works pretty well. I haven't tried any of it yet so can't say from first hand experience.

CanoeRoller
07-06-2013, 01:11 PM
How about you charge him for a supply of boolits? You can become a commercial caster with a customer base of one. You can charge him a small fee for your time and your lead.

Dragoon 45
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Can't really do that. He and I were in the service together, kept each other out of so much trouble over the years.

Brownie Nash
07-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Sage Outfitters casts a great bullet check them out on the internet.