PDA

View Full Version : Another pitbull attack

tomme boy
07-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Two days ago, a man in my town was attacked by two pit bulls when he was walking downt the sidewalk. He is in critical condition. He was rushed to the ER then he was Lifeflighted to Iowa City trauma center.

The neighbors of the man heard someone screaming for help. The woman who was a reg. nurse looked out the door and seen the man being attacked by the dogs. She yelled for her husband and he tried to go out after the dogs with a bat. They turned on him and he ran back into the house. They had to wait and watch the dogs biting and pulling him around their front yard for about 5 minutes before Police showed up. They shot one dog right there dead. The other dog was shot but ran off. They still have not found that dog. They know the owners of the dogs. And have not done anything yet.

This is what happens when people DON'T own GUNS. I would have walked right out and killed both of them right there. This just pisses me off. The mentality of wait for the police to save you.

http://clintonherald.com/local/x1952114069/Clinton-man-hospitalized-in-Iowa-City-after-pit-bull-attack/?state=taberU

jmort
07-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Pit bulls should be banned. Owners typically have no insurance and are ghetto/trailer trash with no regard for the consequences of not properly caring for their dogs. Yes there are exceptions. 5% of dogs are pit bulls and 65% of all dog related fatalities are caused by pit bulls.

shredder
07-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Yup, for those dogs, shoot em dead. Just so you know, I am a kind and loving dog owner who has no time for pseudo trainers that encourage or allow agression in thier dogs without regard to the consequences of thier actions.

felix
07-04-2013, 09:58 PM
The dangerous pit bull dogs are those that have been chained up all day without human company. They will get even. I have never seen a more affectionate dog than pit bulls. They need to have a family to love. They are not a one-member family dog, but family dogs in most situations. I have had two of them for 18 years in totum. ... felix

shooterg
07-04-2013, 10:05 PM
The dog Petey in the old Little Rascal series would be called a "pit bull" today and I've seen a lot like him, wouldn't hardly lick a lollipop. Lot of terrier breeds are generically called "pit bulls" today. Any dog can be raised mean - in cases like above, justice would include the owners being shot too - or at least penned up with their own dogs after they hadn't been fed in a week.

tomme boy
07-04-2013, 10:55 PM
That dog in the little rascals was an American bull dog. Not the same at all. Seems a lot of the less fortunate are the ones here that seem to have them. And I have met a few of these pit bulls that were the biggest babies I have seen. As with , their surroundings hugely dictate how they turn out.

JeffinNZ
07-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Yup, for those dogs, shoot em dead. Just so you know, I am a kind and loving dog owner who has no time for pseudo trainers that encourage or allow agression in thier dogs without regard to the consequences of thier actions.

Don't shoot the dogs. Shoot the owners. We have the same problem here.

runfiverun
07-05-2013, 01:56 AM
I remember when it was German Shepherds that were the bad guy's then it was Dobermans, after that it was the Rottweiler.
felix's words are spot on.
I have 2-3 'pit's' visit the house quite frequently.
my lab keeps them inline easily, she takes no acting up in her territory.

just a few minutes ago I got home from visiting a home with 2 American bull terriors, one sat/laid next to me most of the time I was there, I had never met her before.
the other one I know fairly well and I worked on teaching her to sit up on command during the fire works show.

uscra112
07-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Yupper - agree with Felix. I've also known pit bulls that were complete pussycats, because they were loved and well treated at all times.

Sadly the pit bull had become the dog of choice for people who want surrogates for their own nasty, violent, hostile, sociopathic natures.

So yeah, after you've shot the dog, shoot the owner. If there's one thing I hate more than another, it's people who abuse dogs. Removal from the gene pool is the least we can do.

waksupi
07-05-2013, 02:44 AM
It used to be dobermans, now it's pits. I'm sure it will turn back to German Shepards before too long. If he went into the Iowa City emergency room, it is likely my younger brother worked on him.

Stephen Cohen
07-05-2013, 02:53 AM
In this country Pit bulls are banned, but it has not stopped adults or children from being torn apart. While all firearms must be locked in a safe with bolts removed and stored separately, I keep two oo buck handy for just such emergency. The couple next door don't own guns and openly state they feel safer that I down them.

jmort
07-05-2013, 04:43 AM
"I'm sure it will turn back to German Shepards before too long."

No, for sure it will not "turn back."
http://www.dogsbite.org/

longranger
07-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Those sweet Pit Bulls are sweet until their not, as many "Sweet Pit Bulls" have bitten kids and others as the trailer trash/Michael Vick dogs.They are inherently bred to do what they do. It's like playing with a loaded gun eventually it may or may not go off.

fryboy
07-05-2013, 06:37 AM
does anyone know how many of vick's dogs had to be euthanized ? the number may surprise you ...facts folks facts ( btw ? it was only one of all vick's dogs )
fact - pete the pup ( all 7 of him/her) were american staffordshire terriers aka american pit bulls , the difference between the american and the english ? the american is a bit bigger ( that ought to make the anti pit bull people quake a lil more and rightfully so )

fact - dogbite.org is a anti pit bull site just as the brady campaign is a anti gun site

fact - poodles bite more people than pit bulls , however with the sheer number of the group of dogs labled as pit bulls ( including most who arent ) that number does increase ( much as the anti gunners use twisted stats to arrive and promote their logic

i've seen it too many times on the news "PIT BULL ATTACK" complete with a picture of a pit bull only to later find it wasnt a pit bull at all ( there's a narrative here anyone besides me catch it ? )

fact - pit bulls werent originally bred for fighting dogs ( that's b.s. ) they were bred for baiting bulls ,hence the bull aspect of their name

fact - for the longest time they were called the nanny dogs , if you dont know why you should educate yourself ( as opposed to being willfully ignorant )

fact - you act like prey you're prolly going to become prey , breed doesnt matter in this at all , and yeah they'll smell and identify your fear before you even ( if you ever do ) identify it

fact - for the longest time they were bred to show no human aggression , yup that's right - NONE , such dogs were killed , this is why they are rarely used for true serious watch dogs

but what do i know ...dont let the facts stand in your way ( after all the anti-gunners dont ..) one has to train/teach a pit to be mean to humans ,ie; like most have said it's the owners who should be shot ( IMHO it should also be the media and others who try to instill the "sensationalism" and anti-pit victim mentality in other people )

all that aside i hope the guy makes a speedy recovery and umm look at my avatar foto - yeah a big bad pit that has some of you quivering in fear

Tazman1602
07-05-2013, 06:58 AM
BULLPUCKY! <personal insult deleted> It's not the dogs fault -- the OWNERS should either be shot or put in jail. It's people like this that got Wolf hybrids banned in Michigan.

ANY animal can be mean, even a Chihuahua if the owners teach it to be mean.

I own Pits, Rottweillers and in the past have owned wolf hybrids and do you know why they attacked when they did? Because I trained them to. I also trained them to PROTECT little children and other small animals. Example: Ten years ago when my beloved Rotty "Ginger" was still alive I heard the neighbors child screaming in their yard. The neighbor a half a mile down had the meanest, nastiest German Shepards I've ever met -- that's how they were raised. I reached for my shotgun and out of the corner of my eye I saw a streak of black.

That streak of black was Ginger bolting off my front porch at a full run -- at first I thought she was going to attack child and was ready to shot her when I saw her leap OVER the child and hit both of those German Shepards at a full run bowling them over. One she caught by the neck and threw about ten feet. She then went back to the child and kept herself between the child and the other dogs -- who never even came close to her again.

That dog KNEW her job was to protect those that were weaker than her and she did a good job at it. She got steak for dinner that night, courtesy of the neighbors when they heard the story.

My wolf? He wasn't so nice. About five years later a similar thing occurred and we had to pull her off the dog with a rope. She then licked the children all over to make sure they were not hurt at all.

IT AIN'T THE ANIMAL. IT'S THE OWNER. PERIOD.

Just as a footnote? If I had my way, people who make dogs fight would be shot on sight. Sorry for the rant but that is the way I feel about this subject.

Art

Pit bulls should be banned. Owners typically have no insurance and are ghetto/trailer trash with no regard for the consequences of not properly caring for their dogs. Yes there are exceptions. 5% of dogs are pit bulls and 65% of all dog related fatalities are caused by pit bulls.

10-x
07-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Adopt a Greyhound, you will not be sorry. SIL has 3 "pits", they will lick you to death, hold squeaky toys in their mouth's wanting to play. Remember, God created animals for man to have dominion over them. Trash like vick et al should be put away. Oh, and there are the idiots that fight roosters...........

Freightman
07-05-2013, 08:22 AM
BULLPUCKY! <personal insult deleted> It's not the dogs fault -- the OWNERS should either be shot or put in jail. It's people like this that got Wolf hybrids banned in Michigan.

ANY animal can be mean, even a Chihuahua if the owners teach it to be mean.

I own Pits, Rottweillers and in the past have owned wolf hybrids and do you know why they attacked when they did? Because I trained them to. I also trained them to PROTECT little children and other small animals. Example: Ten years ago when my beloved Rotty "Ginger" was still alive I heard the neighbors child screaming in their yard. The neighbor a half a mile down had the meanest, nastiest German Shepards I've ever met -- that's how they were raised. I reached for my shotgun and out of the corner of my eye I saw a streak of black.

That streak of black was Ginger bolting off my front porch at a full run -- at first I thought she was going to attack child and was ready to shot her when I saw her leap OVER the child and hit both of those German Shepards at a full run bowling them over. One she caught by the neck and threw about ten feet. She then went back to the child and kept herself between the child and the other dogs -- who never even came close to her again.

That dog KNEW her job was to protect those that were weaker than her and she did a good job at it. She got steak for dinner that night, courtesy of the neighbors when they heard the story.

My wolf? He wasn't so nice. About five years later a similar thing occurred and we had to pull her off the dog with a rope. She then licked the children all over to make sure they were not hurt at all.

IT AIN'T THE ANIMAL. IT'S THE OWNER. PERIOD.

Just as a footnote? If I had my way, people who make dogs fight would be shot on sight. Sorry for the rant but that is the way I feel about this subject.

Art
Truer words were never spoken, I grew up with a Pit Boston terrier mix never bit anyone except the Shepard that jumped a six foot fence (his territory), people make dogs mean, thus mean people are the blame.

Ajax
07-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Pit bulls and Bulldogs were used by the settlers for 2 reasons one they were loyal to the family till death and the other they were a working dog. The people who think pit bulls are evil have never owned one. My baby who has passed molly girl. would lick you to death. My father in law thought ll pit bulls were evil till he met molly girl and he cried like a baby when she passed. Pit bulls and bulldogs are very territorial but that is due to protecting their family. I will never own a dog other than bull breeds due to the fact that when i am not home they will protect my family.

Andy

shredder
07-05-2013, 08:38 AM

You are right on the money here. However, in my opinion, once the dogs have attacked someone like this instance, it is unlikely that the average dog owner will ever get complete control of them. There are highly specialized places that can adopt dogs like this but they are rare.

If I saw the attack happening and had a shot, as much as it pains me, I would take it. The need to protect human life is greater. The owners need to be dealt with, but not with the gun. There are laws for people and they should be charged and prosecuted to the full extent for thier negligance.

Ithaca Gunner
07-05-2013, 08:40 AM

I'm in total agreement. The cops have done nothing to the owners of the dogs? Even though they know who they are? I would be willing to bet that any charges filed against the owners would lead to multiple felony's while serving about any warrant on the property. In fairness to the cops, maybe they're consulting with the D.A.'s office first to get multiple warrents, I hope this is the case.

Ickisrulz
07-05-2013, 09:02 AM
The dangerous pit bull dogs are those that have been chained up all day without human company. They will get even. I have never seen a more affectionate dog than pit bulls. They need to have a family to love. They are not a one-member family dog, but family dogs in most situations. I have had two of them for 18 years in totum. ... felix

I have one and had another for his whole life. Excellent family dogs that I trust around my small kids. They are very tolerant dogs too and don't nip if accidentally hurt they way little dogs sometimes will. I see nothing in them that is intrinsically bad.

Ban pit bulls, and then your "gangstas" will be getting dobermans, shepherds, etc. Again, hold PEOPLE accountable.

DeanWinchester
07-05-2013, 09:06 AM

Amen my friend!!!

I got one that was abused heavily for the first year and a half of his life. It took me another year for the two of us to come to an understanding. None ....NONE of his aggression is his fault, if you treated me that way, I'd bite you too!

Here we are five years later, other than my wife, he's the best friend I've ever had. The ONLY thing that makes him aggressive is someone who doesn't belong in his yard. He lives in a fenced in area big enough run, play, hide and enjoy life. He never sees a chain anymore and eats all he wants. Yes, he will bite if you go in his area, but you don't belong there so.....

There are NO bad dogs. Only bad owners. Dogs are Gods gift to man. The perfect side kick. They only need love compassion and a stern hand to guide them.

This problem with Pitts is the same as 99% of all the other problems on earth. MAN.

grampa243
07-05-2013, 09:09 AM
That dog in the little rascals was an American bull dog. Not the same at all. Seems a lot of the less fortunate are the ones here that seem to have them. And I have met a few of these pit bulls that were the biggest babies I have seen. As with , their surroundings hugely dictate how they turn out.

i believe Petey in the Rascals was played by both American bulldog and American pitbull dog's over the years.

the only dog to ever bite(drawn blood) me was a friend's Chihuahua; and if it could have got to my face i'm sure it would have.

the only dog that i have owned that bit someone was a Lab. I believe he was not socialize enough in his puppy years and became overprotective of the family. we ended up putting him down.

I own a APBT now that is 6 years old she is one of the most loving dogs you will ever meet. she is great with my nephews and nieces. plays well with other dogs. and is very obedient on or off the leash.

DeanWinchester
07-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Pit bulls and Bulldogs were used by the settlers for 2 reasons one they were loyal to the family till death and the other they were a working dog. The people who think pit bulls are evil have never owned one. My baby who has passed molly girl. would lick you to death. My father in law thought ll pit bulls were evil till he met molly girl and he cried like a baby when she passed. Pit bulls and bulldogs are very territorial but that is due to protecting their family. I will never own a dog other than bull breeds due to the fact that when i am not home they will protect my family.

Andy

That's the truth too! I have no doubt mine would gladly forfeit his life to protect me and my wife. He loves me and he REALLY loves mamma. I told my wife the rules for her staying home alone. Bring in the dog. You know where your handgun is and know how to use it. Between the two of you......I'll mop it up when I get home.

You're also right. People who hate them have never had one. Or they've had a bad experience and make blanket judgement.
Mine is dumber than a rock. Yeah, I said it but no one else can. LOL. BUT, he will do ANYTHING I ask him to. He's clumsy and goofy as heck but if I ask him to stay put, I can go in the house and take leak, come back up and there he sits. I give a glucosamine pill for hips every day. I hold my hand out and tell him "swallow it" and he does. I know it's bitter, I tried one. He does it anyway. He waits for me by the gate every morning for breakfast and I know one day he won't be there. I'll probably cry like a baby when he passes. I don't wanna think about that.

VintageRifle
07-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Pitt bulls were taken off the vicious dog list in Ohio in 2012.

opos
07-05-2013, 09:16 AM
2 doors up from us a young couple moved in recently..they had 2 full grown pit bulls...the compact grey color type...not really tall but wide..tiny ears and very beady little eyes. They were chained in the back yard while the 2 people were going to school each day...barked some. They got out of the fenced back yard and attacked a couple that were walking along the street bothering no one. The man that owns the house near where the attack took place came out of his garage with some commercial pepper spray that shoots 20 feet or so...he doused the pitts with pepper spray and gave the folks time to break away...he then took a fishing gaff..big off shore one...and literally gutted one dog an hooked the other in the neck...cops showed and called animal control...they took both dogs and they were killed. The law suite is not in process yet and guess what..they bought another pit bull puppy and had it taken away..what the hell is wrong with people....we live close together in a smaller neighborhood. No room at all for dogs like that.

DeanWinchester
07-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Again, opos. Not the dogs fault. It's the owners. These dogs need space and attention. They will get it one way or another. It's no different than anything else. Some people can be trusted to keep a nuclear missile in their house. Others shouldn't be allowed a sling shot. Think of all the people operating motor vehicles everyday. A LOT of them shouldn't.
It all boils down to personal responsibility and people just DON'T HAVE IT!

pipehand
07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Wife's current "lapdog" is 1/2 pit, 1/4 Rottweiller, 1/8 Bullmastiff, and 1/8 American Bulldog.She was the runt of the litter so she's only 80 pounds or so. White with black patches like Snoopy.

We also have the mamma dog, 1/2 Rot, 1/4 BullMastiff, and 1/4 American Bulldog. 135 pounds and brindled. When asked by people "What breed of dog is that?" I say "Dragonhound. They were bred for hunting dragons ....."

Either one of these dogs is physically capable of lethal attack. They'd rather lick faces, get petted and chase frisbees. They are friendly and affectionate dogs.

On the other hand, we also have a 12 pound male Pomeranian. His previous owner thought it would be "cute" if he trained the little furball to snarl, snap, and growl. When the owner died the sister took the dog to the pound because it was such an ***. I'm sure that the death of his owner traumatized the dog as well. Anyway, my wife heard about it and picked the dog up from the pound. We still have the dog going on ten years now. The dog's still screwed up in the head, but he's never bitten anyone. Point being that the dog was trained to be screwed up in the head, but he's not really a credible threat. A larger and more physically imposing dog would have caught a bullet.

There are a lot of dogs that are trained to be screwed up in the head, sometimes passively by their owners. Dogs are not "little fur people." They are retarded wolves, and as such they need to be taught their role in the pack structure. If you want to treat it like it is the pack leader, don't be surprised if the dog bites you to bring you back in line. If you assume the role as the Alpha, as you should, the dog will be very happy to let you run things.

Some people should just not have dogs, period. When people who should not have dogs, have strong dogs that have a strong prey drive, bad things happen. There are a lot of people out there that really should not own guns for various reasons, yet we don't want their failings as human beings to be used as an argument to take our right to own guns. Same with pit bulls, or Glocks, or .50 BMG, or magazines over 7 rounds.

Recluse
07-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Specific breeds are the direct result of specific, selective breeding in which breeders--good and bad--repeatedly breed for a specific outcome.

Having grown up in ranch country, we used bulldogs a lot. My grandpa was fond of saying, "A good bulldog can turn a bad bull good." Those of you who have ever seen a bulldog bring a one-ton bull to his knees know what I'm talking about.

One of our bulldogs saved my bacon many times when I was a little snot-nosed elementary-school aged boy. Grandpa told me NOT to go into a specific pasture one time because he'd gotten a new bull and it was mean as hell. Naturally I went into that pasture as soon as I could and naturally that bull come snorting and charging--until Cedrick (one of our bulldogs) came streaking through the pasture. Didn't even have to get close to that bull before the bull threw up sod and a cloud of dust back-peddling to get the hell out of there. He'd already met Cedrick once, and that was enough.

Hobo come up on the land one time, all surly and demanding that I give him some water and some food and some whiskey. I was around ten and was getting scared and all of a sudden there was Cedrick standing in front of me. Never barked, never growled but the hobo left in a hurry. Dunno, maybe the hobo had seen how Cedrick handled our new bull.

Good dogs CAN go bad. It's a fact. I'll flat kill ANY dog that initiates an unprovoked attack on another animal or human. Wish it was legal to do so to humans who do the same.

The number one reason dogs attack humans is due to poor to no socialization during critical growth stages in the dog's life. Breed doesn't matter. Pomeranians, poodles, cocker spaniels. . . . if a dog has a mouth, it's capable of biting somebody or something.

If we're going to ban a breed of dog and call it okay, we might as well apply that same logic to guns, automobiles (nobody needs a one-tone SUV anyhow), crotch-rocket motorcycles, ATVs, etc etc.

And by the way, I've had Dobermans for the past thirty-plus years. I'm all too aware of the prejudices shown owners of certain, specific breeds.

:coffee:

fryboy
07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
on a odd note more pit bull type dogs pass the good dog citizen test than any other breed ..... but dont let that get in the way of the media's sensationalism ( btw ? i trust more dogs than i do so called journalist let alone humans )

KCSO
07-05-2013, 10:48 AM
It isn't Pit Bulls any more than it was German Shepards, Dobermans or Rotweillers ect, it is the owners thank god canis dirus isn't still around or some jack would be breeding them for GUARD dogs.

Swamp Man
07-05-2013, 12:11 PM
I've owned pit bulls for 40 years and can tell you it's not the dogs it's the owners that are to blame. The only time my dogs would attack you is if I told them to or you trespass on my fenced in land. Far from what lots of people think pit bulls are not genetically programed to attack that comes from bad owners so put the blame on the bad owners not the breed.

jmort
07-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Facts are stubborn things. 5% of dogs are Pit bulls and 65% of dog attack fatalities are caused by "pits," generically used. Throw in Rottweilers and you account for up to 75% dog attack fatalities.
2012 Pit bull fatalities 23
Rottweiler 3
Mixed breed 2
German Shep. 2
Other Breeds 1

2005 to 2012 Fatalities

Pit Bulls 161
Rottweiler 32
Husky 10
Mixed Breed 10
American Bull 9
German Shep. 9
Mastiff/Bull M. 8
Boxer 5
Malamute 4
Labrador 4
Others 3

"others" = *Multiple dog breeds contributed to the deaths of 3 or fewer persons
during this period including, but not limited to: chow chow, wolf hybrid,
doberman pinscher, cane corso, presa canario and golden retriever.

As they say, some dogs, Pit Bulls "don't let go" - combine that bad inbred trait with powerful jaws and you have dogs that are rightly banned. With proper fencing, severe criminal liability, and non-dischargable civil judgements, and I would say it would be o.k. to keep dangerous animals. Just yesterday or day before, man walking down street, attacked by two pit bulls and life-flighted in critical condition. Happens all the time here in So. Cal. Losers/ghetto/trailer trash get Pit Bulls to be "tough" and innocent children and others killed or permanently injured. I could not be happier that Pit Bulls are being outlawed as there are supreme idiots who own them. I have sued them and their landlords and defended the idiots. My "favorite" part of the case is always the genius names these losers give their dogs, for real, "Satan" "Killer" etc. I've seen first hand the permanent physical and psychological damage done. And the careless, no-asset, no insurance idiots get off too easy. Fortunately, prosecutors are seeking criminal charges in more and more cases. The simple mind would make the same comparison to firearms and cry about pit bull bans, but there is a difference between an animate sentient being and an inanimate object that is lost on a simple mind.

BTW, in a perfect world, I would have a fleet of Dogo Argentinos surrounding my home.

VintageRifle
07-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Wonder why if they are so bad the dog breed was removed from the list of dangerous animals in Ohio. Personally have never encountered a mean Pitt.

SeabeeMan
07-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Remember that when you see pit bull, that is AT LEAST three different breeds, if not several more depending on if bull dogs get lumped in there...which I'm guessing that 161 number is since they aren't on there anywhere else. You can make statistics say anything you want. They also said that artificial sweeteners were safe, WMDs were in Iraq and Anna Nicole married for love.

Bonus points if you know the quote.

I've seen rottweilers and pit bulls that were some of the best family dogs I have known and labs that I was actually scared to be around. 95% or more is the owner, according to a survey I made up for this post.

sparkz
07-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Owner Needs Jail,,, The bull Terrier is not a mean dog but when a Owner makes it a dangerous weapon when he wants COOL Factor he needs jail time to match,, and as result the dog/s need to be destroyed due to his COOL Factor, thats a shame and I pray for the poor man and his family, Hope the owners Rot

Patrick

pipehand
07-05-2013, 03:57 PM
"My "favorite" part of the case is always the genius names these losers give their dogs, for real, "Satan" "Killer" etc. "

BTW,Wife's pit cross is named "Valentine".

Dogo Argentino's, Cane Corso's etc are all of the same genetic line as Amstaffs, Pits etc. Just as with humans, the problems are more cultural than genetic. Nurture over nature, as it were.

N4AUD
07-05-2013, 04:09 PM
I had a pit bull from when I was about 10 years old until I went into the Air Force. He was a gentle, intelligent, and friendly dog. The little Yorkie I have now is more aggressive but of course couldn't do any real damage if he wanted to. My pit bull, Sampson, was my constant companion and was my mother's big baby. When I was in Basic Training, a neighbor who didn't like any dog shot him. They didn't tell me about it for several months, and I admit I cried about it when I found out. Sampson never hurt anyone, but he did growl at my brother one day when he was spanking my nephew and the nephew started to cry and scream. Sampson protected me once from an aggressive husky that was charging me, and I stopped him before he killed the husky just with a voice command. This organization to ban pit bulls is just another Brady campaign that doesn't try to solve the real problem which is irresponsibility, lack of respect and criminality, whether it's with guns or dogs. Pit bulls aren't bad, and neither are guns.

bigfelipe
07-05-2013, 04:26 PM
I've got a pitt/boxer mix now. Had another pitt mix for 10years before her. They are some of the sweetest gentlest dogs you can get. They aren't for everyone though. They require an owner that trains and cares for them like any powerful animal. You want to get rid of bad dogs? Ban ghettos not pitts...

opos
07-05-2013, 05:00 PM
When I posted about out neighbor it sparked a number of replies...and I got one thing that I need to say...I don't care if it's the dog or the owner's fault that a dog is agressive...it's the owners responsiblity and if the owner isn't around to tend to things the dog is going to get the resulting treatment. When a dog attacks like the ones did in our neighborhood are we supposed to give it a cookie and go look for the owner? We live in a small neighborhood of 70 year old 1200 sq ft homes with little tiny postage size lots. Why on earth would someone have 2 grown pit bulls in a back yard that is about 30x50 feet....they kept them chained most of the time...again, if that's the owners fault so be it but if they get out and take someone walking by or kill another animal...down they go. Pit bulls have to have a special "rider" on the insurance policy in our area....must be something to that. I've had dogs...had a wonderful Great dane for a number of years when we lived in the country...but I'd never have brought him to a tight environment like this...We live in a big city near the border...lots of the drug and gang associated punks that live around this area have pits to keep people away...I can understand that but the cops here don't fool around...they get a warrant and go to a home...if there is a pit on the premisis they get animal control to haul it off or if it's an issue and intruding on the search they "take care of it"...Got a good friend that is a LEO in the gang infested SE San Diego area and he told me there are pits on every block and they simply don't fool around with them...they got bigger fish to fry.

Animal control talked to the owner 2 doors down that had the 2 pits that attacked....one died from being gutted with a fishing gaff and the other was put down....the moron has another one....they are never home...the dog is again chained all day and I'll bet there are issues coming again.

I like dogs...I like cats...I like people...but any of the above that are out of control get the blame and the punishment.

fryboy
07-05-2013, 06:23 PM
i like cats .... i LOVE dogs ... most people however ....

dragon813gt
07-05-2013, 07:16 PM
It is almost always the owner. But you can't forget that we have selectively bred them to have certain traits. I work in peoples homes and there are a few breeds that I hate. Full size poodles are the worst. I've been bit by them far more than any other breed. And for the record I love dogs, own one and am always friendly to dogs. So I know it's not me.

German shepherds that are left to roam in the yard while I'm in it. I'm on their territory so they constantly roam around keeping an eye on me. This is what we bred them to do. But it's extremely off putting and it keeps you on edge which doesn't help the situation. You feel like they're going to rush you if you make the wrong move.

A lot of the smaller breeds like Jack Russels and Yorkies. Those damn things constantly nip at you. I know they have bad owners but it's always the same breeds. I have no issues w/ pointers, labs and retrievers. Unless you spook them by accident. Then all bets are off.

Every owner needs to put the dogs away when someone is working in your home. I understand that it's your dog's home as well. But it makes life easier for everyone if the dogs are away. I've stepped on to many really nice dogs because they just want to see what you're up to and end up behind you where you don't see them. I feel horrible when this happens.

felix
07-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Perhaps the best answer to date is the above post. ... felix

firefly1957
07-05-2013, 07:47 PM
The owners will be in legal deep sheep down the road and any dog breed can be a problemed animal i had a stray Rott come after me in my yard after i fed it . I never have saw anything like it eyes went wild hair went up and it came for me @ 3 feet a Corebon 165+P stopped it the animal control officer show a couple minutes later he said this was happening a lot in the area.

I just wish wolves had the bad press that Pit Bulls do today maybe we could stop the idiots from reestablishing them in areas they have been removed from!

pipehand
07-05-2013, 10:28 PM
dragon813gt, I too get to go on home service calls. Fortunately, the last two standard poodles were friendly to the point of being a nuisance. Honestly, I've never had a problem- I think most dogs recognize dog people. It also helps not to act like prey, that you belong there.
http://knuckledraggin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/funny-awesome-photos-01.jpg

dragon813gt
07-06-2013, 08:40 AM
You said it yourself, most dogs. Just like most owners are good owners. I very rarely have issues. But there does seem to be a pattern when it comes to breeds. Every home is different so we will all have different experiences.

Thin Man
07-06-2013, 09:47 AM
About 5 years ago a local animal control officer went to a home (rented trailer) to speak with the owner of 2 pit bulls. The dogs had bitten yet another person. The dogs were not visible when the officer arrived so he knocked on the door. As soon as he knocked he heard the dogs inside the trailer barking and racing to the door. He began a retreat to his vehicle but did not get off the porch in time. The dogs broke through the latched storm door and downed him. The dogs true owner was in jail at the time (drug charge) and his girlfriend was present. She was unable to restrain the dogs. The officer used his radio to call out for help and a baton and gas for defense. One dog hit him 2-3 times and retreated, the other stayed on attack. Responding officers arrived and the second dog retreated as soon as their vehicle got stopped. The officer had 3 surgeries to repair the physical damage, plus mandatory counseling for his trauma. He eventually returned to work. Both dogs were taken from the property the day of the attack and were eventually put down (owner signed off on that). The officer brought a civil action against the dogs owner, his girlfriend, and also the owner of the trailer and lot. That all began about 5 years ago and the lawsuit still has not been settled. The physical scars have healed, the mental scars may never completely heal. At least he lived through all this and has a war story to share, but he would rather not talk about it. Too many bad memories.
Thin Man