PDA

View Full Version : Interesting webcams

quilbilly
07-04-2013, 08:38 PM
The Forest Service has established some webcams in some spectacularly beautiful places around the U.S. Most are updated every 15 minutes. I have most enjoyed the ones on Ward Mountain just west of Ely, Nevada where one overlooks the High Schell Mountain Range and the other overlooks the White Mountain Range. In the last couple days the thunderstorms over the White Mountains have been spectacular. My guess is these two cams are on a ridge at an elevation of about 8500 feet. The web address is - http://www.fsvisimages.com

JeffinNZ
07-04-2013, 11:15 PM
If you forest service is anything like our DOC then the web cam will be a close as you get to the park.

FLINTNFIRE
07-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Interesting watching the one at wishram , time lapse , tugboat traffic then all the lights from the town and the highway.

quilbilly
07-05-2013, 12:38 PM
If you forest service is anything like our DOC then the web cam will be a close as you get to the park.
Actually all the ones I am familiar with at this site are pretty easy to get to. The ones on Ward Mountain near Ely, Nv are just off the real loneliest road in America (Hwy 6 between Ely and Tonopah, Nv) and I have occasionally xctry skied to where I think the webcams are. The sunsets and sunrises there are beyond description and I have been known to do a little coyote calling near there..

starmac
07-05-2013, 01:21 PM
I thought highway 50 was billed as the loneliest highway in America, it is not even close, but I thought it had the distinction.

quilbilly
07-05-2013, 07:29 PM
That is what Nevada promotes Highway 50 (Loneliest Road in America) but on Hwy 6 from Ely to Tonopah or the road that connects Rachel to Hwy 6 (the Extraterristrial Hwy) you can drive for hours without seeing another car even in nice weather. If you are looking for your Boone/Crockett mulie, the mountains along those two roads are where I would look and the ghost towns are cool as well.

km101
07-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for posting that website! I will have to save that to my favorites. Those are some spectacular views!

mroliver77
07-06-2013, 01:25 PM
I live on US Rt. 6 in OH.! "The country's longest highway that goes nowhere."

While the cams are cool, who pays for them?
J

That is what Nevada promotes Highway 50 (Loneliest Road in America) but on Hwy 6 from Ely to Tonopah or the road that connects Rachel to Hwy 6 (the Extraterristrial Hwy) you can drive for hours without seeing another car even in nice weather. If you are looking for your Boone/Crockett mulie, the mountains along those two roads are where I would look and the ghost towns are cool as well.

zardoz
07-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Every couple of years, I try to make it out to the Popo Agie wilderness area. That is on the other side of the range from the Bridger wilderness webcam.

quilbilly
07-06-2013, 03:46 PM

J

They are called "air quality" webcams so your fed. tax dollars are at work. It may be a boondoggle but at least I am getting something for my money for a change.

waksupi
07-06-2013, 05:32 PM

J

Around here most are paid for by the TV stations, and individual resorts and businesses.