PDA

View Full Version : Gunstock Blanks

terryt
07-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi:

I am thinking about making a gunstock and have not done one in about 30 years.

What size is most blanks for a modern bolt action rifle and how what size are they for black powder rifles?

Also so what are prices these days in Walnut, Maple and Birch?

Thanks,

Terry

nekshot
07-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Any time I see a chunk of wood I get excited. If it is 6 to 8 inches deep, at least 2 inches wide and 4 inches longer than what you want and is of a hard wood I haul it home. Bigger is better, and I have used wood smaller than this but I also have put time into shaping a stock and found a flaw I could not get around and wished it was bigger. I have never bought a blank so I can't help you on that.
nekshot

375RUGER
07-06-2013, 10:42 AM
feebay and gunbroker are usually full of blanks. yahoo and google search will yield a plethora of sellers.

Hardcast416taylor
07-06-2013, 11:05 AM
The blank Burl English walnut that was used on a custom Model 70 a friend had built about 6 years ago had a tag of $700! Then the whittling on it started! To save time and money look at Boyd`s stocks that are semi finished.Robert

waksupi
07-06-2013, 12:21 PM
A rule of thumb is, the longer the stock required, the wider the blank needs to be. Check http://www.gunstockwood.com/ for some good prices on wood. You can spend as much as your pocket can afford. I have stocked rifles with blanks that were over $3000.

Something else to think about. I have bought blanks from across the country, of what was supposed to be dry wood. Well, maybe back east it is dry, but once it gets here in the more arid west, they are wet blanks. I like to let a blank age here for as long as possible before starting on it. They loose a LOT of moisture here. The rule is to allow one year of air dry for each inch of blank thickness for a fresh cut blank. Then you run into the situation that a rifle made here in the dry west, may swell and have function problems if sent back east. So, ideally inletting is made a couple thousandths looser, to allow for the wood gathering moisture in again, in it's final climate. There is no wood finish ever made that will totally seal against moisture.

terryt
07-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks Everyone

Spokerider
07-09-2013, 12:14 PM
$3000 for a stock blank, good grief!

How are your stock making skills Terry?
I have attempted a few stocks with one working out ok, but I used seasoned yew wood that I had lying around from when I was making longbows. Didn't cost me a dime moneywise, but the toxic dust just about finished me off...... that was with a dust mask on too.

Maybe get a nice piece of maple or black walnut from your local hardwood dealer to start. If it does not work out for the first attempt, it won't leave such a big hole in your wallet.
Also, the caliber that you shoot dictates some, on the choice of wood species and certainly grain orientation of the stock.......but you prolly already know that.

waksupi
07-09-2013, 03:37 PM
$3000 for a stock blank, good grief!

How are your stock making skills Terry?
I have attempted a few stocks with one working out ok, but I used seasoned yew wood that I had lying around from when I was making longbows. Didn't cost me a dime moneywise, but the toxic dust just about finished me off...... that was with a dust mask on too.

Maybe get a nice piece of maple or black walnut from your local hardwood dealer to start. If it does not work out for the first attempt, it won't leave such a big hole in your wallet.
Also, the caliber that you shoot dictates some, on the choice of wood species and certainly grain orientation of the stock.......but you prolly already know that.

That was a fairly average price for the better quality wood when I worked for Serengeti Rifles. Some went for considerably more!

Cosmiceyes
07-09-2013, 04:51 PM
WP3060 Stock Blank - Walnut Fullstock (P-) $160.00 P- (15-30% inconsistant curl). Blanks are air dried, then kiln dried to guarantee moisture content of no more than 10%. Full stock, 58" to 60" in length and 2" to 2 1/4" in thickness. Halfstocks; same thickness, 35" to 36" long. Dixie Gun Works.
WP3059 Stock Blank - Walnut Halfstock (P-) $125.95 P- (15-30% inconsistant curl). Blanks are air dried, then kiln dried to guarantee moisture content of no more than 10%. Full stock, 58" to 60" in length and 2" to 2 1/4" in thickness. Halfstocks; same thickness, 35" to 36" long. Dixie Gun Works
1-800-238-6785 http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?s=1&keywords=Walnut+stock+blank

TXGunNut
07-10-2013, 10:52 PM
I've been drooling over the Hawken style gunstocks at Track of the Wolf for years, when I build up my patience, skill and confidence I'll probably build one from their components. For a modern bolt gun I'm working with a 95% stock from Boyds. Laser checkering, recoil pad, forend tip, buttstock cap, sling mounts and a nice satin finish for about $250 + shipping. Nicely done and even a bit of figure in the attractive walnut. I'll never be able to do work of this quality, money well spent.