PDA

View Full Version : Who's got Fireworks?

jcwit
07-04-2013, 07:34 PM
I live in a small town in No. Indiana 3 to 4 thousand population. Now let it be clear I have no problem with fireworks themselves and they have been shooting them off for 3 or 4 days now. Much more tonight.

Now for the question as to who's got fireworks? Why of course the folks that are living in Government Subsidized Housing of course!

These are the ones that have money for fireworks.

dmclark523
07-04-2013, 07:39 PM
We got about 100 dollars worth the other day. Nothing to special but a few big ones! Here in VT there are no issues with fireworks...

I found it amazing, however, when I went shopping for them yesterday. A couple of the big "Value boxes" were ringing up at $700. Who's got money for that?!

Bzcraig
07-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Haven't done fireworks in 30+ years.

sparky45
07-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Didn't have the money for fireworks this year, but I did splurge for this:

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/glynnm1945/4THFood_zpsc3a53afe.jpg (http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/glynnm1945/media/4THFood_zpsc3a53afe.jpg.html)

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/glynnm1945/4THFood1_zps625c4339.jpg (http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/glynnm1945/media/4THFood1_zps625c4339.jpg.html)

Wish you all could have been here. Happy Independence Day!!!

MtGun44
07-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Boy that steak looks really good, and a great salad and corn on the cob - that
is a pretty darned good 4th of July celebration all by itself.

Bill

alrighty
07-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I live in a small town in No. Indiana 3 to 4 thousand population. Now let it be clear I have no problem with fireworks themselves and they have been shooting them off for 3 or 4 days now. Much more tonight.

Now for the question as to who's got fireworks? Why of course the folks that are living in Government Subsidized Housing of course!

These are the ones that have money for fireworks.
It is the same here in small town Kentucky as well.Perhaps after the next Independence celebration date is set , I will celebrate as well.It seems like all I do now is reflect with great sadness on what this once great Nation has become.
"Which is better - to be ruled by one tyrant three thousand miles away or by three thousand tyrants one mile away?"
The quote was from a Boston loyalist and it seems his prediction was spot on.I still have great respect and more importantly a great hope that this nation will awaken from it's drunken slumber before it is too late.

Johnch
07-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I have some LOL

A good freind helped me out this year
He is one of the truckers that droped off fireworks to a local place

While there he got a super deal on a bunch of stuff

You would not believe what my $50 bought with his help :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Almost time to make a LOT of noise and sparks :twisted::twisted:

John

TXGunNut
07-04-2013, 09:37 PM
No need for fireworks, my neighbors try to outdo each other every year and it's quite often a 5-6 way contest. Pretty good show, all I need is refreshments.

TXGunNut
07-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Didn't have the money for fireworks this year, but I did splurge for this:

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/glynnm1945/4THFood_zpsc3a53afe.jpg (http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/glynnm1945/media/4THFood_zpsc3a53afe.jpg.html)

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/glynnm1945/4THFood1_zps625c4339.jpg (http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/glynnm1945/media/4THFood1_zps625c4339.jpg.html)

Wish you all could have been here. Happy Independence Day!!!

Wish I could have been there too! Good job, Sparky!

SciFiJim
07-05-2013, 01:12 AM
This is the first year that we haven't bought fireworks. They are sold here as fundraisers for various organizations.

Now that the kids are grown, they are no longer involved in the normal youth organizations that always need money.

My money this year will go into really nice birthday gifts in August for everyone.

fatelk
07-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Here in Oregon about the only fireworks you can get make smoke or sparks- nothing that leaves the ground. Even then, they charge a fortune for pathetic fireworks.

That said, practically everyone in the neighborhood shoots off the biggest, fanciest mortars and rockets smuggled from out of state. I don't mind watching them, but kind of wish they would only set them off on the fourth or maybe a day or two before and after, but not a week or two before and after.

I spent $25 for a handful of sparklers and noisemakers. I know some folks spend hundreds and even thousands. I don't know how they do it.

beagle
07-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Have a fellow in the community who is a professional fireworks man and each year he has a big display for his family, friends and really the community. So happens that I have one of the highest hills in the area and the wife and I drive up every year and sit on top of the hill and have a ringside seat right next to the pond. The bullfrogs tend to compete.

I'd rather save my fireworks money for primers and powder./beagle

mroliver77
07-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Ohio is weird! It is legal to sell fireworks. It is legal to posses fireworks. It is illegal to shoot them off in Ohio. :confused:

sparky,
I wasn't sure what them things on the grill were. I do have some deer in the freezer yet. I better work on that!
J

357maximum
07-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Ohio is weird! It is legal to sell fireworks. It is legal to posses fireworks. It is illegal to shoot them off in Ohio. :confused:

sparky,
I wasn't sure what them things on the grill were. I do have some deer in the freezer yet. I better work on that!
J

I used to go to Ohio or Indiana to buy my fireworks, but the state of Michigan finally fixed it's rectal cranial inversion.........it came down to the mighty dollar....11% tax going to them other states on a law they never enforced anyway....no brainer in my book.

mroliver77
07-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I used to go to Ohio or Indiana to buy my fireworks, but the state of Michigan finally fixed it's rectal cranial inversion.........it came down to the mighty dollar....11% tax going to them other states on a law they never enforced anyway....no brainer in my book.

Yep, we always went to Indiana for fireworks and Mich for alkyhol when much younger. I even got my wife from Mich!
J
J

fatboy
07-06-2013, 01:42 PM
not me, i got a cannon and black powder. loudest boom in the neighborhood[smilie=w:

Gliden07
07-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Like um can't afford um now! Like someone else said I would rather buy components to shoot than fireworks!!

xacex
07-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I was up in Portland last week so I went across the bridge to the dark side. Picked up a few things for the kids(and me). They have some huge tents of fireworks up in Washington with parking lots full of Oregon licence plates. The prices were better than in Oregon, and they didn't charge me tax. I think everything I bought was Oregon legal from what I recall. Spent about 40$ for the fireworks, and another 40$ for the steaks. Took the family to the St. Paul rodeo for a good time too. I am pretty set on reloading components for a couple of month or more, but I wont go whole hog on one day of the year. Just a little fun for the kids so they can say dad is the best.

starmac
07-06-2013, 04:12 PM
LOL Fireworks are not really used here this time of year, they just don't have the same affect in the daylight.

Down South
07-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I spent $25 for a handful of sparklers and noisemakers.
Those Sparklers can be made into a large noisemaker pretty easy.

I haven't bought fireworks in years. I have better things to spend my money on. There will be a fireworks show on the lake here at the house tonight. It is a great view from a boat but I don't feel like launching my boat for it.

357maximum
07-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Yep, we always went to Indiana for fireworks and Mich for alkyhol when much younger. I even got my wife from Mich!
J
J

Comin up here and stealin our womens....not fair man :lol: I hope you enjoy your little slice of Miss Michigan as much as I enjoy mine..... cheers. :drinks:

Bad Water Bill
07-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Living just a couple miles from lots of fireworks across the border in Indiana sounds like it would be easy to get some.

WRONG

Unmarked state cars sitting in the fireworks parking lot copy and forward your plate # to their buddies hiding in Illinois. Cross the border and all the pretty lites are now in your mirror.

Yes I know many side and back roads but I like others here would rather spend my money on goodies I can load myself.

fatelk
07-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Those Sparklers can be made into a large noisemaker pretty easy.

Never messed with stuff like that, but it wouldn't surprise me because of a story a friend told me some years ago.

He has acreage out of town and his boys were out shooting their BB guns. The story goes that they had some sparklers of some kind and they decided they were going to turn their pump-up BB gun into a "muzzle loader". They crumbled up the powder from the sparklers and packed it into the barrel of the BB gun, put a BB in the end, pumped it up good and pulled the trigger.

He was in the house a ways away and looked out when he heard the boom. He saw them way down at the end of the driveway with a gun, and got upset that they had taken a shotgun out to shoot without permission. He went out and found one of his sons holding a completely ruined BB gun with the barrel ruptured. Apparently the 20 or 30 pumps of the BB gun generated enough pressure, heat, or friction to set off whatever gunpowder or powdered metal sparklers are made of. I guess he wasn't hurt, but pretty startled.

kcinnick
07-06-2013, 08:12 PM
I had a buddy who bought a container of fireworks a few years ago. I said I'll take a $100 worth, I still have some left after shooting some last night! I got two cases of Roman Candles, a case of mortars, a case of some things that swirl around a pop, cases of all kinds of stuff for $100. The mark up on fireworks has to be 500% or more.

starmac
07-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I have known several people over the years that owned and run fireworks stands a couple of weeks a couple times a year, I would say your 500% claim is probably conservative.

waksupi
07-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Back when I was a kid, people would drive down into Missouri to buy fireworks, and bring back home. That was when there were real cherry bombs, M-80's, and Black Cats. Pretty much every year you would hear of a car or two getting blown to pieces, along with the occupants. No doubt many were drinking beer on the trip, and of course couldn't resist tossing firecrackers out the windows as they drove. Of course there was always that one stray firecracker that blew back into the car, and into the big box o' bangers.

Lloyd Smale
07-07-2013, 05:34 AM
as short as im getting on powder id probably be temped to cut them apart and try to use it for my guns. Red and green sparks flying out of the barrel would probably be cool anyway ;)