PDA

View Full Version : 44 Man question

Changeling
07-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Jim, In regard to the Ruger 45. Large meplat bullet.
Is there an ideal distance from the crimp grove to the base of the bullet and also from the crimp grove to the end/front of the bullet witch would be it's overall length?

I don't mean to just use the bigest/heaviest bullet and be happy! I'm interested in the length relationships of the above relative to percentages of exposure/distances from the crimp grove.

Thanks, Windy

44man
07-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Jim, In regard to the Ruger 45. Large meplat bullet.
Is there an ideal distance from the crimp grove to the base of the bullet and also from the crimp grove to the end/front of the bullet witch would be it's overall length?

I don't mean to just use the bigest/heaviest bullet and be happy! I'm interested in the length relationships of the above relative to percentages of exposure/distances from the crimp grove.

Thanks, Windy
Not that I have found. Just so there is room at the cylinder front in case a boolit moves from recoil.
It is just load workup with any boolit and most are so close with the powder charge it is hard to see a difference. I just can't tell you my OAL because it does not matter. I use the lower crimp groove in boolits with two grooves if it fits. No real reason about pressures. Accuracy is found either way and it might just be 1/2 gr of powder. With H110 and 296 there is no reason to mess with tenths of a gr, just 1/2 gr.
Boolit jump to the cone has meant nothing at all. I was surprised and was also stuck with stuff that meant nothing. The amount of useless stuff is amazing. I have tossed a billion things away over the years.
Don't over think anything. Come watch me load and you will see LAZY, with just a few things needed, nothing more or less. My load book for each caliber is a few lines for each boolit and maybe a few words. Boolit, powder, amount and primer. One load for each boolit.