PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 question

Blammer
07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
I have a 6.5x55 swedish mauser.

I have one of those disks in the stock.

If the bore dia say 6.52 (according to the disk) that translates to .257 inches (approx)

I thought the 6.5 was .264 bore dia?

Am I doing the conversion properly? Reading the disk properly?

Or can you not extract the information as I am trying to do?

Larry Gibson
07-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Your confusing "bore" diameter with groove diameter. Bore diameter is the size of the hole before the lands and grooves are made.

Also.264 in the English and American 6.5 size for groove diameter. The European size is .266 - .268.

Larry Gibson

Cosmiceyes
07-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Darrel,Larry has this great section of reloading on the 6.5. Go to

http://castpics.net/subsite2/LoadLookup/default.html

Blammer
07-05-2013, 06:20 PM
so basically I need to slug the barrel :)

Dutchman
07-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I have a 6.5x55 swedish mauser.

I have one of those disks in the stock.

If the bore dia say 6.52 (according to the disk) that translates to .257 inches (approx)

I thought the 6.5 was .264 bore dia?

Am I doing the conversion properly? Reading the disk properly?

Or can you not extract the information as I am trying to do?

Be aware that we don't know when the last time was that your rifle bore was checked. Normally when rifles are put into storage they're checked and noted and a piece of tape is put over the comb of the stock with a two digit number.. like 76. That indicates the date 1976 was the last inspection in military storage. Seeing how this is 2013 and most all the Swedes were imported about 1986-87-88 which is now 25 years ago, your rifle could've fired thousands of rounds since that time and those disc numbers are no longer valid. There are instances were we can trust the bore disc but they involve some hands-on inspection of the rifle and knowing what to look for.. mostly storage grease everywhere indicating the rifle hasn't been fired since import.

The discs start at:

6.46 = .254"
6.47 = .2547"
6.48 = .255"
6.49 = .2555"
6.50 = .2559"
6.51 = .256"
6.52 = .2566"
6.53 = .257"
6.54 = .2574"
6.55 = .2578"
6.56 = .258"
6.57 = .2586"
6.58 = .259"
6.59 = .2594"

The FM/1892 Mauser Trials rifle chambered in 6.5x55.

6,5. 6,8. 200. = land diameter, groove diameter & twist rate in millimeters. 6.8mm = .2677".

http://images16.fotki.com/v363/photos/4/28344/9597910/photo-vi.jpg

http://images56.fotki.com/v773/photos/4/28344/9597910/photo-vi.jpg

Blammer
07-05-2013, 07:47 PM
yea, I"m pretty sure this rifle hasn't been fired since importation. I got it from an estate and it was COVERED in cosmoline, I mean DUNKED.

they guy had the original purchase receipt from 30 or so years ago and it's just been sitting like that until I got ahold of it.

Blammer
07-05-2013, 07:50 PM
basically I'd need a bore rider with the nose of .257? and I'd need to figure out the groove dia.

Larry Gibson
07-05-2013, 10:25 PM
You'll probably do better with a Loverin design, in lieu of a bore rider, such as the 266455 or the GB Kurtz designs as most 6.5 Swede's of military trim have long throats.

Larry Gibson

madsenshooter
07-05-2013, 10:48 PM
#2 buck makes a good slug Blammer

9.3X62AL
07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I 'pin gauge' for bore diameter, and slug for the groove and throat diameter. Knowing beats guessing all hollow, esp. if you are building a mould cavity around your findings.

Commercial Ruger 6.5 x 55 barrel, 6 rights, 4 turns/meter (1-9.7")--.256" bore, .264" grooves, .2645" throat. I size #266469 @ .265".

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Blammer,
I have a 2 cav 269145 FN Noe mold (1cavPB/1cavGC).
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=113

I have a few 6.5 rifles.
one Jap 38 custom (rechambered to 6.5x257R) that slugs to .2685
also a '96 Swede that slugs .2675
(and...I recently got another custom Jap 38 that has been rechambered to 6.5x55swede, I haven't slugged it yet, but since it has the original Jap barrel, I suspect it'll be similar to my other two).

This mold drops the boolits at .2715
I size them to .270

I have some PB ones already to go with randyrat's Tak #1 lube.
Let me know if you want some...via PM

I would offer some GC ones, but the last time I cast some of these for a couple other CB members, they wanted the GC ones, leaving me with a pile of the PB ones...they should be fine if you keep them under 1600fps.

one issue I had with loading these fat 6.5's was expanding the case neck to the proper size...til I got a custom Lee necksizer collet die made.
Good Luck,
Jon

Blammer
07-06-2013, 03:46 PM
thanks for the offer JonB, I'll keep it in mind, for now I"m just doing some research, I'll get around to shooting it someday. :)

Other projects I need to finish first, 444 marlin, 41 mag ruger, etc...

1500FPS
07-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Your confusing "bore" diameter with groove diameter. Bore diameter is the size of the hole before the lands and grooves are made.

Also.264 in the English and American 6.5 size for groove diameter. The European size is .266 - .268.

Larry Gibson

The bore size is the finished hole that is drilled in the barrel then reamed/honed. The lands are already there, they aren't made with grooving. 6.5 mm is not the groove size as, unless I read it incorrectly, as you said it's the bore size which is 0.255906. You are correct in European bores sizes vary very much and also from one 6.5 cartridge toanother, such as 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5 Carcano, 6.5x54MS, etc.

1500FPS
07-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Blammer,

I just got a new CZ550 in 6.5x55 and haven't gotten around to shooting cast from it yet, but my brother in law has a 96 Swede and we both have been shooting cast with it. He, like I, have read the 6.5 Jug Thread and there are a couple of really smart shooters/reloaders in there. I would suggest what they posted as my brother in law is getting very good results following that thread.

swheeler
07-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Blammer; I shoot the 170 gr CM at about 1500 fps and have useable hunting accuracy, wish I had the 6.5 Kurtz too try but don't. I personally wouldn't put a grain of salts worth in that old milk jug thread started by that nutcase starmental, bunch of bs as far as I can tell, and believe me I was there from the start. Find a bullet that fits your throat and keep the RPMs about 138K(within the threshold)

Larry Gibson
07-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Semantics aside; the "lands" are the "rifling" and are "made" when the grooves are cut, swaged or forged. The "lands" did not exist before the grooves were made as the "bore" was smooth, as in "smooth bore", such as the bore in a shotgun. Perhaps some have the eyesight and perception to look down the smooth bore of a barrel about to have the lands and grooves made and tell us which part is the lands and which is the grooves....that is if the "lands are already there"?

BTW; in barrel making to be technically correct; " The bore size is the finished hole that is drilled in the barrel then reamed/honed." is not the case with swaged barrels. With swaged barrels the actual bore size, the lands and the grooves are formed during the swaging process. None (bore size, lands or grooves) "existed" before the swaging process and were made at the same time.

Blammer; The Swede milsurp rifles have much longer throats than commercial barrels. The milsurp barrels, as mentioned, will also have larger groove diameters. For best results in the swede milsurp barrels with cast bullets the bullet should fit both the diameter of the throat and have that diameter from the base of the bullet to leade (beginning of the rifling). Such a cast bullet should also have a short nose. This is why the Lyman Loverin 266455 and the GB Kurtz designs do so well at pushing the RPM threshold upwards. Thus if you want accuracy at higher velocity in a milsurp 6.5 Swede that type of cast bullet design is essential. Long heavier cast bullets with long bore riding nose do not fair well when you push them too high a velocity in the fast twist of Milsurp 6.5 Swedes.

Larry Gibson

1500FPS
07-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Blammer; I shoot the 170 gr CM at about 1500 fps and have useable hunting accuracy, wish I had the 6.5 Kurtz too try but don't. I personally wouldn't put a grain of salts worth in that old milk jug thread started by that nutcase starmental, bunch of bs as far as I can tell, and believe me I was there from the start. Find a bullet that fits your throat and keep the RPMs about 138K(within the threshold)

I see you contribute the same amount of negative non information as you've done all along. So you're saying that thicker case necks using 06 brass doesn't help accuracy with the Swede? I saw two sides in that thread, those that could get the Swede to shoot and at a higher velocity and those that couldn't and thus made negative posts . My brother in law followed the loading data and was able to improve both his accuracy and velocity so I guess you can an him to your liar list. Larry Gibson at least gave it a try .

1500FPS
07-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Semantics aside; the "lands" are the "rifling" and are "made" when the grooves are cut, swaged or forged. The "lands" did not exist before the grooves were made as the "bore" was smooth, as in "smooth bore", such as the bore in a shotgun. Perhaps some have the eyesight and perception to look down the smooth bore of a barrel about to have the lands and grooves made and tell us which part is the lands and which is the grooves....that is if the "lands are already there"?

BTW; in barrel making to be technically correct; " The bore size is the finished hole that is drilled in the barrel then reamed/honed." is not the case with swaged barrels. With swaged barrels the actual bore size, the lands and the grooves are formed during the swaging process. None (bore size, lands or grooves) "existed" before the swaging process and were made at the same time.

Blammer; The Swede milsurp rifles have much longer throats than commercial barrels. The milsurp barrels, as mentioned, will also have larger groove diameters. For best results in the swede milsurp barrels with cast bullets the bullet should fit both the diameter of the throat and have that diameter from the base of the bullet to leade (beginning of the rifling). Such a cast bullet should also have a short nose. This is why the Lyman Loverin 266455 and the GB Kurtz designs do so well at pushing the RPM threshold upwards. Thus if you want accuracy at higher velocity in a milsurp 6.5 Swede that type of cast bullet design is essential. Long heavier cast bullets with long bore riding nose do not fair well when you push them too high a velocity in the fast twist of Milsurp 6.5 Swedes.

Larry Gibson

It's also not the case in hammer forgers barrels either. Point is if you're going to post technical information to teach someone it has to be much more accurate then what you said.

I agree with you that the bore rider isn't the bullet to use in the 6.5 Swede. My brother in law was able to obtain a BaBore Kurtz and done all his work with it. The problem with the Lyman Loverin is the bands are too narrow.

Blammer
07-07-2013, 01:55 PM
thanks for the help guys.