07-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Well the sour cherrys were ripe
And I had help , so they got picked and pitted this afternoon

Gave away more than 1/2 , ended with 25-30 packs in the freezer

Nice pan to cook with later
But then I still have 1/2 gallon more left

So I am thinking of Pint jars of cherrys toped off with Vodka

But these are sour cherrys , so I figure I should add some sugar

But I am wondering just how much to add to each pint jar ??

Any ideas ?

John

375RUGER
07-04-2013, 06:49 PM
WAG-1/4-1/2 cup

Zymurgy50
07-05-2013, 08:23 AM
My son is getting married at the end of August, last year I sent the wife out to the local orchard to pick some sour cherries. 10# of sour cherries +6# of malt extract and a bit of hops makes 5 gallons of excellent beer. Only problem is that it takes almost a year for the brew to age. Anyway I brewed 2 batches for the wedding, hardest part is letting it age without taste testing.........

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-05-2013, 10:23 AM
I also use my tart cherries for home brewed beer.
another thought is a cherry influenced BBQ sauce.
I had some boughten from a cherry orchard, but have never tried making it myself.
Sorry I can't help with sugar content of your vodka cherries.
Jon

Wayne Smith
07-05-2013, 05:04 PM
It is completely to taste. I make liqueurs, and tend to make them significantly less sweet than called for in a recipe. I tend to use less sugar in apple pies, too. If you have never done this before and plan to do it again I would do one with, say, a tablespoon, one with two, and one with three (equals a quarter cup). I would do the same thing with brandy, myself. Keep a record of which is which and each person's preference. Both the cherries and the liqueur are to be thus evaluated. Now you know how to make it next year!

Johnch
07-06-2013, 10:36 PM
It is completely to taste. I make liqueurs, and tend to make them significantly less sweet than called for in a recipe. I tend to use less sugar in apple pies, too. If you have never done this before and plan to do it again I would do one with, say, a tablespoon, one with two, and one with three (equals a quarter cup). I would do the same thing with brandy, myself. Keep a record of which is which and each person's preference. Both the cherries and the liqueur are to be thus evaluated. Now you know how to make it next year!

Thanks

I think I will add 2 Table spoons to 1/2 and 1 to the rest

I figure I can always add more if needed

John

Bad Water Bill
07-07-2013, 01:28 PM
For a change of pace add a little cinnamon to the mix. I do it with my jelly and loose all of it to friends as soon as they know I have some more made up.

Duckiller
07-07-2013, 03:27 PM
They are not sour cherries they are tart cherries. If you let them get real ripe they are quite sweet, They are picked a little early when going to the packing plant. Those berries inspired me and several of my friends to stay inschool and get at least bachlor degrees. We did not want to raise cherries. We don't.

Shiloh
07-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Had friend make this stuff up. They called it Cherry Bounce.

Shiloh

L Ross
07-17-2013, 07:19 PM
The traditional recipe we used was a quart of cherries, a quart of either brandy or rum, and one cup of sugar. Turn it upside down and back once a day until the sugar dissolves. Then leave it alone for 6 months. Tame cherries get pitted and can remain in the liquor. Wild rum, or choke cherries are too small to pit but make wonderful bounce. We remove that fruit after 6 months so the bounce doesn't get a bitter, pitty taste.
Do not just dump the wild cherries in the compost pile or you'll likely kill some birds.
My favorite is wild dark rum cherries and Meyer's dark rum.

Duke