PDA

View Full Version : Honoring a special friend

Jim
07-04-2013, 01:16 PM
When Janet and I lived in South Carolina, I met and made a very good friend. His name (I have his permission) is Tom Thompson. He is a former Gunnery Sargent in the Marine Corps and is very active in the shooting sports.

Tom and I communicate on a regular basis and I have visited him many times. His wife, Julie, is a wonderful lady and a very gracious hostess. She refers to the spare room as "Your room". Like Tom, Julie is also very involved in the shooting sports.

Tom served multiple tours in Vietnam and trained many Marines in gunnery. He is an accomplished rifleman, a Life Member of the NRA and the president of a large private rifle club.

Many men have been honored over the years by having structures named after them. Unfortunately, most of the time, these honors are given posthumously. I wanted to honor my special friend in some way, but not being in a position to name a building after him, I had to come up with something else.

As most of you know, I have a small one table 50 yard range on my place. As insignificant as that may be, I decided to name it the "Thomas L. Thompson Rifle Range". It's not much, but it's my way of honoring a man that means a tremendous amount to me.

Tom is also a member here, but only posts rarely.

I had a laminated sign made up by a professional printer and posted it on a tree near the shooting table.

Tom and Julie came through Floyd today on their way north to visit family. I finally got an opportunity to get a shot of them next to the sign.

Thank you, Tom, for your service to our country and for defending my freedom. And thank you for the friendship you have demonstrated to me.

Julie, thank you for your hospitality and opening your home to me. You are just as special as Tom is. Both of y'all mean the world to me.

1Shirt
07-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Great Jim, and to the Gunny, I say Semper Fi!
1Shirt!

Sweetpea
07-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Just goes to show ya, being a good friend will bring you good friends!

Brandon

WILCO
07-04-2013, 01:48 PM
and to the Gunny, I say Semper Fi!
1Shirt!

Brilliant idea Jim. +1 on what 1Shirt said.