PDA

View Full Version : Got me a new revolter!

Buckshot
10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
............Got a pretty nice used S&W M67 in 38 Special with adjustable sights. Nice 4" bbl and Pachmeyer grips. Doesn't appear to have been abused and is real clean. Deputy Al, ooops 9.3x62AL says it's a Combat Masterpiece. I like that. Say it sloooooooooooooowly. Cooooooombat Maaaaaaaassssssterpiece. Heh!

Anyway it seems to shoot pretty well. Not as well as the M14-4, but pert near. I shot it with the same target loads (148gr WC, 2.7gr BE). I was surprised at how much different they shoot. The K38 has a 6" bbl and the load isn't much. But from the new 4" barreled pistol it barks and the recoil is much more noticeable. I paid $350 OTD and the guy threw in a Lawrence holster.

We got a new computer and the wife got a new digital camara. If I can figure out how to get the camera to work with the new softwear I'll post a picture.

...............Buckshot

felix
10-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Softwear? No, it's softswear! ... felix

dubber123
10-01-2007, 07:34 PM
I think thats the stainless version of my Mod 15, one of my favorites, and also one of my best shooters. Good piece you got there.

MT Gianni
10-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Way to go Buckshot. It should punch some targets for you. I like the rb K frames but it helps to have both guns with the same butt. Gianni

NVcurmudgeon
10-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Congratulations on the M67. Which 148 gr. WC mould are you using in the 14-4? About six weeks ago I picked up a very nice 14-4 at the Big Reno Gun Show. SWMBO Said, "you can have it, but it will be your Christmas present." I got to give it an unneeded cleaning, box it up, and turn it in to Frannie Claus, until Dec. 25.

onceabull
10-02-2007, 12:06 AM
NvC: well darn the BRGS anyway. I was certain you would eventually spring for one of mine!! :twisted: Onceabull :twisted:

Lloyd Smale
10-02-2007, 06:38 AM
nice gun! Congadulations!

9.3X62AL
10-02-2007, 09:37 AM
I ran a couple cylinders-full through the new-to-Buckshot Model 67 last week, and it's a sweetheart. Condition is "like new", 99%+. Pinned barrel, too--Rick did just fine with that critter, AFAIC.

He sorta complained that the trigger wasn't quite as nice as his Model 14, but few out-of-box triggers meet or exceed that standard--esp. in stainless. My impression was that it beat the smoothness of the Model 64's my agency once issued by a significant margin, but I'm accustomed to "service triggers" and their unrefined emphasis on reliability and brisk trigger return. The Model 67's trigger was a mid-point between the M-14's SUPERB stroke and the M64's "working class" character--closer to the M-14, really.

I hope Rick brings the M-67 out again today.

44man
10-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm confused!!!!!:confused: What is a REVOLTER? Please post a picture. :mrgreen:

NVcurmudgeon
10-02-2007, 05:35 PM
NvC: well darn the BRGS anyway. I was certain you would eventually spring for one of mine!! :twisted: Onceabull :twisted:

I didn't rise because you never floated one over my lie. I wasn't really looking, but I happened to run into our retired rangemaster at the show. He is a very solid citizen with a machine shop in his house where he builds excellent varmint rifles. The gun looked near-new and if Dick said it was good I thought I could take it to the bank.

pumpguy
10-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm confused!!!!!:confused: What is a REVOLTER? Please post a picture. :mrgreen:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you have a couple of them in your avatar.[smilie=1:

onceabull
10-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Actually,these firearms were the result of some of the earliest attempts to get around Col.Colt's patents.. just a bit later,another effort came forth so.of the U.S.Border, those were marketed as "Steenking Peestols".Naturally a few of those made their way North-Leading the developers of the beloved Asperley Aimless to incorporate what they saw as the most attractive features of both earlier efforts..and you KNOW what happened then.! Onceabull

PatMarlin
10-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Sounds like a nice shooter Rick... :drinks:

Buckshot
10-03-2007, 04:02 AM
..............It IS a nice peestol :-) I had it out at the range again today and it shot better then it had last Tuesday, using the same ammo? This time I managed a couple 1" 5 shot groups off the bench at 25 yards. I think it has a chamber that may be off a bit, and I neat to do a chamber by chamber shooting test to see which one it is.

NV Bill, I use the Lee 358-148 WC from a 6 cavity mould. With this batch of ammo I had switched from shooting them as cast with Lee TL to using the Lyman Lube-sizer with a .360" die and lubing the bottom LG only (They drop at about .359" with scrap boolit alloy). It's a LOT cleaner and appears to be just as accurate.

I have the slugs crimped into the top LG and this places then nose into the forcing cone of the chamber mouth. BTW, I have also used that mould and cast up a bunch in pure lead and they shoot just as well if not a tad better and no leading at all. All these I had TL'd so they're a bit smokier then those with just one LG done as above. They drop a tad over .358".

"Revolter"? Well that's a term I used because I had little to no use for handguns. This was due to the fact that I couldn't hit much besides the ground with one. Besides that, and possibly partly because WHY I couldn't hit with them is because I was just never very interested in them. Back in '82 I bought a Ruger BH .357 Mag 4-5/8" bbl to carry when I went riding, and that was my first one.

My first really accurate handgun was a Tanfoglio Witness in 38 Super. Pretty consistant at 1-1/4" at 25 yards. Yet it was a PITA chasing brass. Several years back I had a chance to buy a M14-4 from a good friend. As it turned out, a week later he had a heart attack and passed away. So it also has some special meaning for me. He'd said it was the most accurate pistol he'd ever owned, and he was a pistol shooter. I have always wondered why he sold it. Almost like he had a premonition?

Anyway, that and the fact that Deputy Al helped me out by giving me pointers on pistol shooting kind of turned me around. Heck, that K38 shoots so well it's still an amazement that I'm the one holding on to it :-).

..............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
10-03-2007, 05:24 AM
..............It IS a nice peestol :-) I had it out at the range again today and it shot better then it had last Tuesday, using the same ammo? This time I managed a couple 1" 5 shot groups off the bench at 25 yards. I think it has a chamber that may be off a bit, and I neat to do a chamber by chamber shooting test to see which one it is. ......Buckshot

Richard,

9 times out of ten, what appears to be a bad or different chamber occurs because of fouling. There are many ways to check this at the range, but the easiest one today is just to look at your case. All primers should be pretty well center hit. If the cylinder IS hanging up, then it will be obvious as a few will be fairly off center.

This is one of the biggest arguments against tightening up end play and why they all build it in. But my bet goes to the uneasiness that people have about learning to disassemble them and clean / lubricate them properly.

Or since Smiths are so easy to disassemble the crane assembly, the extractor rod could just need tightened a little. A little time should yield the proper diagnosis.

S.R.Custom
10-03-2007, 11:13 AM
My first really accurate handgun was a Tanfoglio Witness in 38 Super.

These guns are the deepest secret held in all of Pistoldom...

My brother has one. When he's at the range and someone starts going on about what a tack-driver their pistol is, he hauls this thing out, places a bunch of clay birds on the backstop, and commences to shoot them all, one after the other... from 100 yards out.

Buckshot
10-04-2007, 01:42 AM
These guns are the deepest secret held in all of Pistoldom...

My brother has one. When he's at the range and someone starts going on about what a tack-driver their pistol is, he hauls this thing out, places a bunch of clay birds on the backstop, and commences to shoot them all, one after the other... from 100 yards out.

...........Dang, I couldn't do that :-) I don't think I could even SEE a claybird at 100 yards, HA! I really do like that auto though. One of it's best loads is the Lyman 147gr FNBB (153grs with WW). I use surp WC820 and it's good for 1240 fps and plunks'em right in there. I did have to order some stiffer Wolff springs though.

.............Buckshot

PatMarlin
10-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Checked out that Tanfoglio over at gunbroker and that is a nice little lookin' piece.

Is it the gun that's accurate or the 38 super that is primarily the reason, as I see they come in a lot of calibers?

PatMarlin
10-04-2007, 09:37 AM
My first really accurate handgun was a Tanfoglio Witness in 38 Super. Pretty consistant at 1-1/4" at 25 yards. Yet it was a PITA chasing brass.
..............Buckshot

Looked up more info on it in my books, and that case size is all to it's own I see. Pretty versitle in the load data. Hmmm may one reside in my safe in the coming future?

scrapcan
10-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Pat,

I have a springfield P9 that is a tangfolglio in springfield dress. Mine acutally as an EAA Witness barrel in it at the moment. Mine is in 9x19 and it also is a tack driver. Mine is that standard frame size and will only handle 9, 40 and the 22 top end. Anyway just wanted to pass along that the 9x19 is a keeper also.

PatMarlin
10-04-2007, 09:55 AM
That 9x19 is a thumper all unto it's own also Manley. Isn't that the makarof Russian cart?

9.3X62AL
10-04-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm starting to believe that the old song about "38 Supers ain't accurate" is a lot like "Micro-Groove cain't shoot cast boolits." Competition race guns can sure shoot the Super with fine accuracy, and Buckshot's pistol--really a service-grade platform--is LIGHTS-OUT accurate.

This belief seems to come from the era when autopistol development was not so advanced as it is today........when the 1911A1 pattern was THE pistol for service, defensive, and target applications. We all know the 45 ACP platforms WHEN REFINED WITH CLOSELY HELD TOLERANCES can shoot with amazing accuracy. I'm inclined to think that these 1950's-era conclusions about the 38 Super were just a result of the state of the art at that time, or became a "default setting" when 32 SWL and 38 Special wadcutter self-loaders came on scene for Camp Perry-type venues. Until IPSC-type venues developed, the "place" for 38 Super wasn't there--so its research & development languished. We now have the technology to produce accurate autopistols that can reliably process hollow-point bullets, a situation not fully present 30-35 years ago when I began deeper involvement with pistol sports and service usage.

What does the 38 Super offer that the 9mm lacks? Velocity--about 5%-10% more with a given bullet weight than the 9mm is safely/sanely capable of. Given the true ballistic potential of the 9mm Parabellum (1225-1250 FPS with 125 grain-class bullets), the 38 Super can keep right up with The Ultra Modern Brand New Total Hotness of the 357 SIG.......close to 1400 FPS with the 125 grain-class bullets. This, from a 1929 upgrade of a 1900-era cartridge--and none of the neck-and-shoulder foo-fah-rah offered as a masochistic speed-bump via the 357 SIG. Ya want 357 Magnum/125 grain performance from a stuttergun? Well, it existed before the the 357 Magnum even came on board........but no one looked or listened.

scrapcan
10-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Pat,

The 9x19 is the parabellum/luger. The makarov is the 9x18, and agreed it is a thumper unto it's own.

Al,

I agree with you totally on the 38 super. Nice cartridge that got lost in time or corporate decisions. I would love to have a super in a "stutter gun" as you put it.

9.3X62AL
10-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I have fired relatively few 38 Super cartridges, and have never owned a pistol that chambered it. An old partner from work still has a Browning BDA in 38 Super, and it shoots GREAT. This is a SIG-Sauer P-220 precursor/variant, BTW. No, he won't sell it--which I consider to be a rather narrow-minded viewpoint on the matter.

PatMarlin
10-05-2007, 12:07 AM
The nerve of some guys that won't sell the pistols.. :roll::mrgreen:

Yeah- thanks for the correction on the 9x19. I had a Makorov that I took on a trade for a piece of equipment, and the thing came apart on me at the rifle range when I went to fire it. I looked down and the firing pin, and slide came apart IIRC, and I thought "what the heck?"

I had a gunsmith friend of mine check it, and fire it, and he said it was fine, but I got rid of it.

Catshooter
10-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Buckshot,

You got a new camera!?! Happy days! :)

So? Where's the pics?

Cat

Buckshot
10-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Buckshot,

You got a new camera!?! Happy days! :)

So? Where's the pics?

Cat

..............The wife has a new camera. I haven't figgered it out yet :-). To many buttons and levers don't ya know?

Pat, my Witness is the full sized jobber. Bought blued in 38 Super and currently is wearing the 45 ACP incarnation with Tanfolglio's 'Starvel' finish slide. So it's silver over blue. You can also get bbl/slide combos in 40 S&W, 10mm, and 9mm. EAA still offers a bunch of race stuff for them too.

...............Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
10-09-2007, 05:46 AM
buckshot if you want to try another bullet in that smith try the 105 lee. Its an ugly little bullet but it shoots like a rifle out of my 15s and 10s and recoil is like a 22. They dont even need to be sized unless you want to. Its the only time i personaly use tumble lube. I cast up a couple thousand of them and just lube and load them. Probably the most accurate 38 bullet ive found and its shoots real well in my sti 9mm 1911 too if sized to 357

Buckshot
10-10-2007, 02:20 AM
...............Thanks Lloyd. I might have to give it a try. They have it in a 6 cav :-)?

.............Buckshot

Buckshot
12-23-2007, 04:11 AM
...............Finally got the camera figured out enough to take and download picures, so here's a couple of the M67 Smith.

http://www.fototime.com/E0695672E27474A/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/C291714B14F2E4D/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/7B6C4B05747CC90/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/FD9D69D55A89784/standard.jpg

Nice peestola. Ah likes it! :-)

..............Buckshot

Marlin Junky
12-23-2007, 05:58 AM
The K-38 Combat Masterpiece became the Model 15 in 1957. The stainless Model 67 was also known as a Combat Masterpiece but never marketed that way by S&W. My M-67 likes Lyman 358156 and shoots it very well all the way to 1200 fps with a full case of 2400. Muzzle flip will get your attention.

MJ

P.S. Oh yeah, I think the Combat Masterpiece had a partridge front sight too.

S.R.Custom
12-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Oooh, nice. It's got the stainless sights! I like!

Three44s
12-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I have to conqueer that "picture taking with a digital and posting bit" as well!!

Nice gun Buckshot!

You gotta like those old world Smiths (pre-Clinton Zit and pre-lock)

I notice with my 629 MG that it did not have the trigger that the first sample I handled did ........ but after a few moons of usage and lots of busted up snap caps and many dead primers made even deader plus Tetra Gun cleaner/lube .........

.......... It's better than apple pie and vanilla icecream!!!!!!!!!

Three 44s

PatMarlin
12-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Beauty.. :drinks:

Buckshot
12-24-2007, 03:10 AM
.............Marlin Junky, thanks for that info. I didn't know, I had a knowlegeable S&W-ophile call it that. So it favors a Combat Masterpiece but just wasn't officially one, right?

Thanks all. I think it's a nice pistol also. While not as accurate as the K38 it is still a fine shooter and I'll admit to not loading any experimental ammo for it. Everything through it to date has just been the couple target loads I had loaded for the K38.

...............Buckshot

NSP64
12-24-2007, 03:29 PM
I believe The T fanglio was a copy of the CZ 75. I had a CZ 75 in 9para and it was a great shooter. I think it has to do with the slide fits into the frame. most 1911types the slide is outside of the frame:coffee:

EMC45
12-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Very nice and the SS sights are kind of few and far between. And it not a dash gun. Very nice!