PDA

View Full Version : 7-08 and trailboss subsonic

nekshot
07-03-2013, 12:35 PM
My son was shooting his 7-08 this morning. Lee soup can unsized,tumble lubed, no checks, hand screw-push them down neck to proper length and crimp. Powder is 6 gr of trailboss. At 80 yards from rest he was getting 1 1/2 inch groub no matter how many he shot. Subsonic and thru our muffler it sounds like somebody diconnected a tool from a airhose. He was loading away and I was not concerned with him double charging as good old trailboss has a safety factor in it from lts fluffiness. Life is good!
nekshot

Dthunter
07-04-2013, 07:01 PM
That sounds interesting!
I never had as much luck in the accuracy department.
What was the average velocity?

nekshot
07-04-2013, 08:51 PM
He simply wanted to make his gun go bang and it all stayed under the crack of the sound barrier. We don't measure these loads as the crack tells you when you exceeded the sub sonic realm. He is only 15 and I like the idea with trail boss I don't have to look over his shoulder. He forgot to move the funnel ahead on one and double charged which he got as he scanned them under the light before seating boolit and even if he would not have caught it nothing other than a waste of good powder would have happened. That would not be the case with other fast powders! I was not surprised with the tight groub he was getting because usually trailboss gives best accuracy right below the sonic crack.
nekshot

Dthunter
07-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Ok, I understand.

I was just curious. I have done allot of load development for subsinic loads and Traillboss. The standard deviation was never all that great. I was hoping to find an accurate combo.
I finally found one with red dot, and the 208 grain A max.

karlrudin
01-18-2014, 04:47 AM
I was sure glad to have found your post! I have recently started casting for my 7mm-08 and was wondering about using trailboss for this. I am using a Lee 135gr mold and was also wondering about using gas checks or not, amount of powder etc. I have used trailboss for jacketed bullets according to the mfg suggestions but there is nothing about using cast. Also I have a ? for you. Do u know what your OAL was. My Lyman book says 2.600" OAL or do/did you let the bullet actually touch the lands. Any help you can give I thank you in advance. There is not much load data for cast 7mm-08 lol

jonas302
01-19-2014, 12:08 AM
Interesting I was just wondering if I should start casting for the 7 08

marshall623
01-19-2014, 12:39 AM
Interesting I was just wondering if I should start casting for the 7 08

The 7-08 & cast boolits go hand & hand
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/marshall623/DSCN0207_zpsa9c891c7.jpg (http://s679.photobucket.com/user/marshall623/media/DSCN0207_zpsa9c891c7.jpg.html)

This aint sub sonic , but I might have to get some Trail Boss and give it a shot with light boolits Striker's 7-08 barrel's are 1:11.5" twist

karlrudin
01-19-2014, 12:37 PM
This is a nice group for condom bullets, let alone for cast boolits. Your casts and load are right on the money here lol

karlrudin
01-25-2014, 04:38 PM
I'm putting this here because we were talking about 7mm-08. Does anyone have any load data for 7mm-08, 130 Lee bullet, using IMR 4227. I have not been able to purchase a Lyman cast bullet manual yet, so I have been gathering loads from this forum. Thanks

karlrudin
02-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Well I finally got out to the range today and had a father and son day before he deploys again. Now the good news. My newly made cast bullets flew well and hit the 100 yard target and grouped fairly well. I was doing a 2 fold job here today. I was fireforming new cases with the cast bullets. Both plans turned out well. No problem with the cases and all the cast bullets hit the target. Some groups better than the other but all made it to the 8.5 x ll sheet of paper. I was very happy. Am gaining more and more confidence in this new venture the more I work with it. I would like a special thanks to one of this groups patrons who set me up with a lot of info and load data. All went well and safe. I want to thank all of y'all for getting me to jump into the deep end and get started where my dad left off. I can see that I will be able to learn a lot from all of y'all here!