PDA

View Full Version : how do you weigh your loads

07-03-2013, 01:44 AM
interesting story a fella showed up at a local range to shoot his brand new reloads that were his first. when he fired the first one the bullet fell out of the barrel and landed about 4 feet out in front of the barrel.after some decushion he said he had put 8 grs of powder in them. we advised him that he needed to check his scale. he said he did not have a scale. we asked him how he got 8 grs in each one at which point he told us that he had counted out 8 grs (PCS of powder) and put it in each case! AT WHICH TIME WHIT A STRAIGHT FACE THAT EACH PCS WAS NOT A GR WEIGHT. this is a true story i swear . he left the range to go buy a scale

starmac
07-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Scary......

Stephen Cohen
07-03-2013, 04:51 AM
I believe you, had the same fool at our club 10yrs ago.

dudel
07-03-2013, 06:23 AM
I believe it. There was someone on another forum that complained that CCI had shorted him primers. There were only 100 primers in his box of CCI 500 primers......

PbHurler
07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
I believe it. There was someone on another forum that complained that CCI had shorted him primers. There were only 100 primers in his box of CCI 500 primers......

That's funny right there; amazing, yet funny.

I'd bet he'd have been elated to find (100) CCI 34 or 41 primers in a package! WHAT AN ERROR! :smile:

novalty
07-03-2013, 11:06 AM
:holysheep Guy must have thought 1lb of powder was going to last him a lifetime. :shock: Wish you were just :kidding: , but have talked with a lot of let's say less than knowledgeable people that I know they are out there.

So glad I can shoot on my own property.

mdi
07-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Common sense and plain old mechanical ability is lacking in a bunch of folks today...

DeanWinchester
07-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I've had to explain the difference between "grain" and "granule" more than once.

Pitiful really that these people are this dense and still roam about with a weapon.

dbosman
07-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Better eight individual grains that eight grams.

starmac
07-03-2013, 01:18 PM
You might should have mentioned a set of scale check weights while you were at it, and a manual or two, god forbid if he gets a scale that is a little off.

dragon813gt
07-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Some people should not mess w/ reloading. I still read everything I can on the subject because I will never be done learning. There is no excuse for not knowing how to do it properly. Free info on the internet as well as all the manuals on the subject.

He's lucky the bullet made it out of the barrel. I'm betting he's the type of guy that would pull the trigger on the second shot w/out seeing the first on paper.

r1kk1
07-03-2013, 11:22 PM
It's not surprising. How many times on forums has someone stated that their bushings or fixed cavity measure does not coincide with the chart? That means they have a scale. I've seen others state that the chart says this without knowing the weight it truly drops.

Take care

r1kk1

Outpost75
07-03-2013, 11:24 PM
I have always believed that some people are too stupid to own guns.

Thank you for the validation.

07-03-2013, 11:37 PM

From Bob Dylan's "Idiot Wind": "You're an idiot, babe, it's a wonder that you still know how to breathe."

uscra112
07-03-2013, 11:41 PM

Thank you for the validation.

"No-one ever lost a dollar by underestimating the intelligence of the public." I think that was P.T.Barnum.

brassrat
07-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah and people say to not smoke when loading...Oh wait !

dudel
07-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Yeah and people say to not smoke when loading...Oh wait !

If I hear 'hold my beer and watch this' at the range or the bench, it's time to leave.

Hickory
07-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Years ago, at a shooting match, I listen to a guy tell a story of another guy that he knew who would put a pistol primer in the case along with the powder as part of his reloading procedure.
Never heard why he did it, I walked away before he got to that part.
Lot of strange character out there.

jmorris
07-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, now I want to know what combination he was using, doesn't seem like 8 bits of powder would do much more than just the primer.

1Shirt
07-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I am concerned with new beginning reloaders right now who are starting because of the ammo shortage. Most have more money than common sense or so it seems to me. Ran into one at the range a few weeks ago who bought press, dies, pdr measure, scale etc. for 223, 308, 243, and a couple of pistol cals. Had never loaded a round in his life before that week. Had never even watched an experiancd loader. Would estimate his age at over 60. Had a lyman manual, but had not read it thoroughly, and lacked some concepts. Said he had put out close to a grand for his equipment powder and primers. In my opinion, this is to much to fast, and will probably end up with big problems and probably an accident that could harm him or someone else, and probably a decent rifle or handgun as well. Most of us old timers started young, usually loading one ctg, often with a 310 tool, or lee loader. I do not regret starting slow and working up to present.
1Shirt!:coffee:

bangerjim
07-04-2013, 01:48 PM
They walk among us.......they reproduce......AND.....they VOTE!

bangerjim :killingpc

novalty
07-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I am concerned with new beginning reloaders right now who are starting because of the ammo shortage. Most have more money than common sense or so it seems to me. Ran into one at the range a few weeks ago who bought press, dies, pdr measure, scale etc. for 223, 308, 243, and a couple of pistol cals. Had never loaded a round in his life before that week. Had never even watched an experiancd loader. Would estimate his age at over 60. Had a lyman manual, but had not read it thoroughly, and lacked some concepts. Said he had put out close to a grand for his equipment powder and primers. In my opinion, this is to much to fast, and will probably end up with big problems and probably an accident that could harm him or someone else, and probably a decent rifle or handgun as well. Most of us old timers started young, usually loading one ctg, often with a 310 tool, or lee loader. I do not regret starting slow and working up to present.
1Shirt!:coffee:

I was fortunate enough to have an experienced reloading get me started and show me the basics. Started out a couple years ago loading 45acp. Within 3 years I am now loading 9mm, 38/357, .223, 25-35, and have the stuff to load 30-30. I can't imagine starting on a whole bunch of them at once, I am overwhelmed as it is, and still went ahead and got set up to cast. My shooting has slowed severely as I try to get used to all the new additions.

My bench started out with the basic Rockchucker Kit (with Automatic Bench primer, and Lyman's 49th edition).
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/ReloadingBench007.jpg

Now it looks like this, and I have added a second bench for cleaning my guns, and storing my casting equipment.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/Reloadingbench_zpsec228d44.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/CastingCleaningBench_zps1e5c4915.jpg

I am hoping for some good buys on barely used or NIB equipment come this fall when people need money for heating oil, and Christmas gifts.

WILCO
07-04-2013, 03:12 PM
They walk among us.......they reproduce......AND.....they VOTE!

bangerjim :killingpc

Yep. The commies have won.

dragon813gt
07-04-2013, 03:23 PM
You don't need a mentor if you can read and are mechanically inclined. There is more then enough information available on reloading for someone who knows nothing to start reloading in short order. It's not something new so all they have to do is follow instructions. It's always up to the person to decide to do all the reading. And even if they do read everything they can there is no guarantee that they will retain any of the knowledge. I firmly believe that if you don't have mechanical skill then you shouldn't be reloading. And unfortunately a lot of people think they have the mechanical skills when in reality they don't.

jmorris
07-04-2013, 04:07 PM
You don't need a mentor if you can read and are mechanically inclined. There is more then enough information available on reloading for someone who knows nothing to start reloading in short order.

I agree. I started when I was 13 and my brother, 17 at the time, shortly followed. Back then I was more of a "snap together" model kid but could still follow directions.

1Shirt
07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Novalty: You are progressing nicely! Nice looking bench!
1Shirt!

Win94ae
07-04-2013, 06:30 PM
LOL!

When I first started reloading I read 2 reloading manuals, then read everything I could find on the www a month before even thinking about buying reloading equipment and supplies. When I had a question, I dug even deeper; all the answers were out there.

country gent
07-04-2013, 06:43 PM
I knew a guy who loaded 308s by filling the case and leveling with a card. Didnt own a scales. Would level a case full of powder tap a couple times and seat a 168 grn sierra matchking on top. Always wondered why his M1A didnt perfom as good as others. He later blew it up pulling 147 grn bullets and reseating 168s on top of the cases with the original powder charge.

07-06-2013, 01:21 AM
i started with a lee loader in 225 win(still have it) i have 2 dillons 35 conversion kits case feeder 3 rock chuckers couple turrets p/w matalic 11 any more i load most of my rifle stuff on my 1 st rock chucker. i couldn't even begin to fathom starting out with a 550 or 650 to start with and not being a nightmare myself and two freinds loaded 20,000 rds of 45 acp on my 650 last winter and one person feeds it one guy runs press and looks in each case after the cycle for powder , one guy does quailty checks powder wt every 50 pcs weight of completed rds constanly

USMC87
07-07-2013, 08:31 PM
I weigh my charges on a lyman 1500 beam scale or a rcbs charge master.

wv109323
07-08-2013, 10:20 PM
In my local area there were some brothers that thought the case was meant to be full of powder. Kinda like a gas tank. Fill'er up and you can go farther. I believe they ruined just one rifle.

bbqncigars
07-08-2013, 11:37 PM
I started out 45 years ago with a Lee loader. Then one of my dads hunting buddies mentored my reloading, and I never looked back. A newbie today can be fine without a mentor IF they do their homework first. The smart ones do, but it seems most don't. I'm seeing more scary stuff at the range than I used to.

Adam10mm
07-08-2013, 11:45 PM
I don't know why others are complaining about only 2,000 rounds per pound of powder, I just loaded up 170,000 rounds from a pound of powder! :) Oh man that guy needs a mentor. Hope someone stepped up to teach him.

swheeler
07-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Do any of you think he will be able to figure out how to use the scale he went to buy?;)

dudel
07-09-2013, 05:58 PM
I hope he learns the difference between GRrains and GRams.

Boyscout
07-09-2013, 10:13 PM
I have offered advice before. Sometimes it taken but more often than not I just get a "mind your own business" look. Those are the dangerous ones. My most common advice is to buy a manual and stay within the min/max and magnum is only good if it is more accurate. What's the point of punching a big group in paper at 3000 fps second when you can hit black more often at 2700 fps?