PDA

View Full Version : Browning 53 and a little girl

Kansas Ed
07-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Well gents, my 10yo daughter sprung on me a couple of weeks ago that she wants to accompany us deer hunting out of state in 2014. She's been shooting her own .22 since she was 4, and she's a crack shot with it. But I was stymied. She weighs in at a lanky 70lbs, and her upper body strength just isn't there for a mans rifle....even a youth centerfire...and we need to get her shooting something more potent prior to any hunt. So my buddy and I worked through all available possibilities, and the most obvious cartridge for her was either the .357 or 32-20. Now before some ballyhoo the 32-20 I've killed mule deer at 75 yards with one, and it shot all the way through with good expansion...this in a hotter load '92. Recoil was light, report easy, and results quite positive. I looked for a Rossi carbine in .357 to no avail, but even the standard '92 carbines weigh in at 7+ lbs. So up comes a little Browning 53 on Gunbroker with beat up stocks, and I bought it....sent off to Tapadera's for some Winchester stain. I will strip the stocks and refinish in the original Winchester hand rubbed finish. It should be here next week.

A few weeks ago, I joined the group buy for the NOE 311465 gas check with one HP cavity and .314 diameter. That HP bullet should run around 115gr, and it's in shop now. I'm thinking this little bullet pushed to about 1800 fps with 1:20 should be a dandy first deer rifle inside 75 yards for a little girl.

Thoughts, pet loads anyone? I've read some interesting information about the 32-20 and Lilgun. Any experiences there?

Ed

Mk42gunner
07-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Ed,

While you are refinishing the stock make sure it fits her; or even buy another to cut down, if you think she will eventually want a full sized stock.

No experience with the .32-20, but Lilgun works well in my .32 H&R Mag behind a 120 gr boolit.

Normally I like to see a bit more powerful round used, but if she isn't the excitable type it should work.

Robert

gundownunder
07-03-2013, 04:47 AM
I'd hate to see her first hunt become a disappointment due to the loss of a wounded game animal. It is a bad memory that stays with you for the rest of your hunting life.
I think most folk on here are going to tell you that a 32-20 is not a deer cartridge. Will it kill deer? yes, in the hands of a skilled hunter who knows where and when to take his shot. I have both a 32-20 and a 357 and the 357 is capable of a lot more power than a 32-20 and I have had several kids under ten years old shoot my 357 without worrying about it's recoil.
If you're going out hunting animals that weigh in at over 100 pound my vote would go to 357 or larger. If you're hunting inside 100 yds, the 45 Colt with mild loads would punch a much bigger hole and that would help compensate for first time jitters, and recoil is still very mild, and she can build it up from very mild to very wild as she grows.
As Robert said make the stock fit her, that will iron out a heck of a lot of felt recoil.

Wayne Smith
07-03-2013, 03:17 PM
You have what you have. It is certainly adequate, especially because, at her age, she won't be out there without a backup. It is common for guide to provide a 'finishing shot' for excitable hunters. If she wounds one the first shot you will have sights on the animal as well, one assumes. Depending on where you are hunting and competition issues you might want to do that anyway. Since she will have the 32-20, is an inexperienced hunter (think buck fever) - her first shot may not be the most accurate. In fact, I think you can probably assume that it won't!