PDA

View Full Version : 94 XTR .375 Win.

longranger
07-02-2013, 08:49 PM
I have been wanting one of these for while and making a local road trip(600 mi.) to Cheyenne to get an unfired Win. 94 XTR in .375 Win.,dies and brass as well.
Spent most the past week learning what I need to know get this thing up and running proper with proper boolits,I have learned little
Anyone here playing with or have played with this cartridge and cast boolits ?
Is there a "go to" cast boolit for this cartridge and rifle, I know I would like the heaviest boolit and a plain base and push them 12-1400 fps.Anyone done a mold for one of these rifles ?
I would be very interested in what others have learned and their preferences.

Kansas Ed
07-02-2013, 09:24 PM
I have 3 different BB94XTR's that I load for currently. Mine, my best friends and my brothers. I also have 3 different moulds I cast with. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to shoot ANY of the cast loads as of yet....The moulds I have are: Lyman 375449, Accurate 38-250A, and Accurate 38-270L. For all intents and purposes, the 375449 and 38-270L are practically the same boolit. Talking to Tom over at Accurate, the 38-250A was built specifically for the BB375XTR. I had mine built to .381, and sized them to .379 (this was to accommodate a couple of 38-72's also). Tom told me that the throats vary a BUNCH on the BB375's, and after trying the loaded 38-250A's in all three, it's pretty obvious he hit it on the mark. One rifle won't chamber this bullet, one fits snug, and one fits easy. All three fit the other two bullets just fine. I'm pretty stoked about the 28-250A bullet, with the big meplat and heavy weight, it ought to be a real stomper. These rifles are next in line for bench work, and I can report back as soon as we get to the range. As for the cartridge itself, I killed my only bull elk (5x6) with mine, and he didn't take a single step. But that was with factory loads years ago. I've worked over the triggers on all three rifles..mine is the lightest at about 3lbs, with the other two falling in the 4lb range. I will say, with full house loads in that light little carbine, they will work you over on the bench pretty good after awhile.

Ed

shdwlkr
07-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I have a 249, 264 and 300 grain molds for the ones I used to have until a divorce. I also have some 350 grain ones that I am waiting for it cool down a little to load up. Got them from dan here and I like the bullet now to get some loaded and borrow my former rifles and see how they work. Yes I do get to use them once in a while nice person bought them when I had to sell them because of a divorce.
I also have some J-word bullets for this caliber 255 grain bullet
I like heavier bullets for this caliber just seems to be the right way to go.

MarkP
07-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Try the Lee 379-250 FN; they are about the only mold in stock these days and they are only$16 - $21 each depending where you purchase, you will not be out much. Works very well in my Crazy Horse (M94 38-55) have shot to 1,700 fps without issues.

longranger
07-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Thank you gentlemen a whole bunch for all of your recommendations. I picked up the rifle today and a beaut to say the least, brand spanking new, perfect,40 rounds of loaded Sierras 220gr. with RL 7 and IMR 4198.He had two of these rifles and sold the shooter earlier. I bought a older set of RCBS dies from him for $20.00 and the box does not have a shell holder but they are like new, these are nicer than current RCBS dies.He had 200 Sierra 220 gr FP and 100 pieces of brass he wanted $1.00 a piece for the brass, I passed,Midway has it due back on the 16th for $32.00 for 50.
I spent some time on Accurate Molds web site and found then 38-250A and was a lucky stroke of searching and located this bullet on their website,sounds like it was made for this rifle. The rifle is a very low serial #, anything weird or goofy with early rifles ? I will be doing a chamber cast to determine all the particulars.I am not planning long shooting sessions with rifle, dial it in with proper cast boolit, this is my close range thumper for those remote draws here in Wyoming. We saw two dandy bull Elk right off I25 between Kaycee and Buffalo. they were 30 mi. from the mountains in the short grass, have never seen Elk in those parts.
Thanks again for the help.
Randy

Rifle 57
07-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Did you find this rifle on gunbroker? It sounds like one that I saw on gunbroker from a guy in Hillsdale Wyo.It was a like new rifle that I thought about buying.

TXGunNut
07-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Sweet rifle, bought one new but haven't shot it in years. Thought I'd make a safe queen out of it after they discontinued it and values started going up. Looking more and more like a CB project. Jim has been tinkering with one, thread shouldn't be too far down.

longranger
07-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Yes, It was the one from Hillsdale WY, I have known and bought stuff from the guy before I waited until the auction was over and contacted him and made an offer(his asking price). I am very impressed with the quality of the polishing/bluing nowadays you have to buy Italian to get polishing/bluing this nice. Winchester did in fact "improve" the 94 not all of the bells and whistles from days gone by,but an honest effort to make a really good strong lever gun that is eye appealing especially during the Carter years.
I have 40 loaded J bullets and debating whether or not shoot them or take them apart,this will be a dedicated rifle for cast boolits. 4 weeks out for Accurate Molds and Lee mold is backordered. I think I can wait to shoot it.

Rifle 57
07-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes Randy you did get a really nice rifle, it looked very good to me in the photos he had of it. I ordered a mold from Accurate last month and it only took two weeks to get it. Enjoy your new rifle and will be waiting for a range report.
Loren.

Rifle 57
07-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Also that same guy you got your rifle from had a real nice 1885 high wall in 405 win. that I wished that I could afford.

longranger
07-04-2013, 02:15 PM
He does have some nice guns and a nice man, the rifle cleaned/waxed up up gorgeous only a few rub marks. I am going to shoot the reloads they check out in the books, I will take one of ea. load and weigh the charge just to collaborate.

longranger
07-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Ok some new Q's and a report, Shot the J boolits and broke in the bore, Love this rifle and feel she wants to shoot. There is a group buy on a mold from N.O.E. that some folks are ordering for their .375 Win. and are asking for .382 dia. molds This leads me to believe that is the proper dia. for these rifles would that be the correct dia. mold to order ? I have an order in to Accurate Arms. for a 250 gr. GC(38-250A) in one hole and 310 gr. PB in the other(.38-310A) It is currently set to be made .377" should I re do the dia. on this mold it is easy to do since Tom most likely has not seen the order yet.
Thanks for the help.
Randy

6.5 mike
07-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm using the lee 250 in my 375 marlin with very good results both pp'ed & lubed. I shoot them as cast lubed. Got lucky on this one, from the first year they where made.

Jim
07-06-2013, 03:47 PM
I really enjoy shooting mine. Since we spotted a bear around here a few weeks back, I carry it when Janet and I take a late afternoon walk around the property.

longranger
07-06-2013, 06:07 PM
What size or sized boolits are you guys using ?

Jim
07-06-2013, 06:11 PM
I use the Lee 379-250-RF, as cast. Mine are droppin' at about 261 grs.

shdwlkr
07-08-2013, 09:20 AM
.375 has a .375 bore so a .377 or .379 sized bullet
38-55 has a larger one there fore most buy.382 size bullet molds for this as its bore I think averages .379
hope this helps

longranger
07-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Thank you shdwlkr