PDA

View Full Version : Computer gone to the dump/bit the dust.

gray wolf
07-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Well the old 14 year old computer running on dial up finally gave up the ghost.:( :( :( It was bad enough trying to get things done on a slow asss
system using dial up ( so much stuff we miss ) But yesterday the old machine said I ain't gonna do it no more. Julie, bless her resourcefulness
was able to piece something together from some old parts we had stored
from a unit that is older than the other one.
Don't know if anyone cares or not, but i thought I would take the time to say If I don't post much or drop off the radar you will know why.
Julie will try and keep it going the best she can, and I will be on board as long as I can.
Just thought I would let you men ( folks ) know whats going on.

Sam-GW

novalty
07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Do you only have dial up where you are Gray Wolf?

gray wolf
07-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Do you only have dial up where you are Gray Wolf?

Nothing else is available to us out here in the boonies. Not even satellite anymore.

Julie

( who is still trying to download all the needed stuff like anti-virus, java, etc, etc, etc. going to take a week or so to get everything back again)

jmort
07-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Do you get cell reception? You can get an unlimited plan/phone and use the phone as a hot spot for all your computers.

novalty
07-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Nothing else is available to us out here in the boonies. Not even satellite anymore.

Julie

( who is still trying to download all the needed stuff like anti-virus, java, etc, etc, etc. going to take a week or so to get everything back again)

I know your predicament all too well. We updated to Hughesnet about 3 years ago, because that is my only other option besides dial up as well--although FairPoint says they are extended service more and more each year. I remember running updates on my PC before we switched-it took 24 hours for it to download and install all the updates by dial-up.

I am checking to see if I can find you a new(er) PC, if you are interested.

gray wolf
07-02-2013, 04:40 PM
WOW !! another newer PC would be fantastic, this old one has the old monitor, very little RAM, and is probably right on the heals of the one that just crapped out.
We don't have any kind of cell phone, can't afford that stuff, just have a simple track phone for emergency.

novalty
07-02-2013, 04:43 PM
WOW !! another newer PC would be fantastic, this old one has the old monitor, very little RAM, and is probably right on the heals of the one that just crapped out.
We don't have any kind of cell phone, can't afford that stuff, just have a simple track phone for emergency.

GW, I think I have a line on one from the IT person at my work. I'll try reaching you tonight by phone.