PDA

View Full Version : REAL trouble

nagantguy
07-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I cast some 250 gr .50 cal reals from a new lee mould used 2 diffrent alloys. The harder one shot real well but needed a hammer to get them down the pipe. The softer, almost pure soft went down easy and shot decent but every few there would be a flyer some were not even on paper. I was swabing after every third shot, had almost no leading. Load was 100 gr pyrodex pellets. The weapon was t/ c encore 209x50. My most accurate front stuffer by far. Any thoughts out there in cast boolit land.

johnson1942
07-02-2013, 04:50 PM
you have a really good gun. go to the buffalo arms web site and order some .492 swaged 550 grain paperpatched bullets. go to idaho rons sticky on paperpatching for the muzzle loader. use 100 percent wood fiber number nine paper from the paperstore and dont wet wrap, dry wrap them two wraps. clip the tail and tuck what is left in the hollow base. use either a .50 felt wad or a .60 thousands fiber wad avail form buffalo arms between the powder and the bullets base. your powder is fine but wipe one damp and two dry between every shot. lube with a waxy lube. alox or rooster paperpatch lube. once you do this you will never want to go back to anything else. again idaho rons post will teach you how to do it. their is a growing number of paperpatch shooters and once a paperpatch shooter you will stay that way. turns your well made gun into a gun more powerful than a 50/90 sharps straight.

nagantguy
07-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Thank you, very good info. My encore is a tack driver with power belt bullets but I haven't gotten that level yet with cast. Paper patching could be the ticket.

mooman76
07-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Try an over powder wad. Allot of people say it shoots better in those tight twists with REALs.

Junior1942
07-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Try an over powder wad. Allot of people say it shoots better in those tight twists with REALs.+1 on that.

07-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Lubed felt wad / over powder card, & reduce you load. 80 grs. gives a fine power level. Just experiment +/-. Your fine rifle just might like one thing over the other. FYI, Junior1942 ^^^^^ just happens to sell good wads (lubed & plain) & cards at a good price. Oh, and clean the dickens out of it regularly.

nagantguy
07-04-2013, 02:31 PM
think you guy are on to something, did not have any wads, but cut some card board and tried it over powder at 80 grains still haven't found the magic formula yet to get the accuracy ive always had with powerbelts, but im getting closer step by step and I am making it all myself!