PDA

View Full Version : Cost of primers at Park and Swap

45-70 Chevroner
07-02-2013, 09:41 AM
A guy at the park and swap had two boxes of Seller & Bellot small pistol primers. I ask how much?, and with out the slightest wince or smile he said $75.00 a box. I said oooooka. I truly don't think he will be able to sell them, but there is the old price in demand thing.

Pb2au
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Well, it is good to dream. Good luck to the fine fellow. Perhaps he will find a unicorn next.
I just bought LP primers at the LGS over the weekend and gave 27.95$ per thousand. I believe the the SP primers were around the same price-ish. Definitely not 75$.

theperfessor
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
A guy at the park and swap had two boxes of Seller & Bellot small pistol primers. I ask how much?, and with out the slightest wince or smile he said $75.00 a box. I said oooooka. I truly don't think he will be able to sell them, but there is the old price in demand thing.

That explains the loud snort I heard rolling in from the western horizon...

45-70 Chevroner
07-03-2013, 12:26 PM
That explains the loud snort I heard rolling in from the western horizon...
I tried real hard to contain it. My wife said something about it also, but we only live less than a mile from the P&S.

ku4hx
07-04-2013, 05:28 AM
About five years ago I was in THE local gun store in the small town where my daughter lives. I was checking out all the dust covered hand loading equipment and came to the part of the shelving with the primers. Every box of 1,000 primers, of all sizes, was marked $70. Not being a particular shy individual, I asked the older gentleman behind the counter if these were maybe priced incorrectly. His only comment was ,"Nope". To that I responded, "You do realize this is almost three times the online price". His comment to me was, "Then buy them online". To which I responded, "Trust me, I will" and left. There are just some stores that don't deserve my business.

Moral of the story: people will charge what they want to and a "buying crisis" is not the only reason for pricing stupidity.

EddieNFL
07-04-2013, 07:54 AM
And on the opposite end of the spectrum...

During the '08/'09 shortage I agreed to help out a fellow club member (didn't really know the guy) with a carton of LR primers. We agreed on $30 ($100 plus on GB at the time). I made a special trip to the range to meet up. He shook my hand and asked if I would take $25. Got back in my truck and took my primers home. I no longer offer to help anyone I haven't known for at least a decade.

Foto Joe
07-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Supply & demand, free market economy and free enterprise. Folks can charge what they want and yes they WILL find a buyer. I doubt any of us here (I hope) desires that the government institute price controls on ANY of the things that we use to pursue our sport. Have I paid more than I thought was a fair price for components in the last year?? YUP!! But either because of my lack of prior planning or just my failure to keep an eye on inventory that was the price that I had to pay to get what I wanted. I don't hold it against the seller for trying to make a profit, I always have a choice in how I spend my money.

EddieNFL
07-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Yep. Takes two to make a gouging. I learned my lesson during the Clinton years. Always try to keep at least a two year supply. Placed a larger than normal order while watching the news on the evening of 6 November 12.

jonp
07-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Yep. Takes two to make a gouging. I learned my lesson during the Clinton years. Always try to keep at least a two year supply. Placed a larger than normal order while watching the news on the evening of 6 November 12.
Hence the almost 40lbs of powder I have as well as several thousand loaded rounds in tins.

mpmarty
07-04-2013, 09:25 PM
My last purchase was from Grafs. 30,000 LP primers at $18.50 I have since traded about 5000 even up for LR primers to feed some of my picky rifles.

longranger
07-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I must have hit the lottery of friends, friend of mine is the bomb tech for our local Sheriffs Office. They are forever getting little old ladies who's husbands have died and bring his reloading powders and primers to the office, they eventually get to him, he gives them to me to properly dispose of.(retired fire investigator). Last haul was special, 35,000 SR,20,000 LP,20,000 SP and only 10,000 LR. They were all packed in wooden box' with desiccant and from the late 70's early 80's based on price stickers $7-10.00 per K. Equal amounts of CCI and Remington all in pristine condition. I have not nor will I sell any,I am taking care of a few friends that I load for and my son. Also got a 8 lb jug of Bullseye.I am indeed a hoarder.

Curlymaple42
07-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Wow! An 8 pounder of bullseye will last forever! Well, maybe not... Lol!

Shiloh
07-05-2013, 12:54 PM
And on the opposite end of the spectrum...

During the '08/'09 shortage I agreed to help out a fellow club member (didn't really know the guy) with a carton of LR primers. We agreed on $30 ($100 plus on GB at the time). I made a special trip to the range to meet up. He shook my hand and asked if I would take $25. Got back in my truck and took my primers home. I no longer offer to help anyone I haven't known for at least a decade.

This out and out sucks!!

You came to an agreement and HE reneged. It's ALL on him. I had one similar experience with a bulk bullet purchase. Like you, I work with folks I know and who's word is good. Haven't been burned since. Your word and a handshake oughta be all you need.

Shiloh

daveinar
07-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I must have hit the lottery of friends, friend of mine is the bomb tech for our local Sheriffs Office. They are forever getting little old ladies who's husbands have died and bring his reloading powders and primers to the office, they eventually get to him, he gives them to me to properly dispose of.(retired fire investigator). Last haul was special, 35,000 SR,20,000 LP,20,000 SP and only 10,000 LR. They were all packed in wooden box' with desiccant and from the late 70's early 80's based on price stickers $7-10.00 per K. Equal amounts of CCI and Remington all in pristine condition. I have not nor will I sell any,I am taking care of a few friends that I load for and my son. Also got a 8 lb jug of Bullseye.I am indeed a hoarder.

Did someone cut the "little old ladies" a check for $30.00/K? Or at least the $10.00/K that their husbands paid? That would be $2,500 that a "little old lady" could probably use. Hell, it's $850 at the $10.00/K price...

MrWolf
07-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Wow - back in January I bought 10,000 S&B sp primers from Grafs for $219.98 and thought they were a bit on the high side, but they were all I was finding at the time.

Down South
07-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Did someone cut the "little old ladies" a check for $30.00/K? Or at least the $10.00/K that their husbands paid? That would be $2,500 that a "little old lady" could probably use. Hell, it's $850 at the $10.00/K price...
I doubt they pay folks to dispose of stuff for them. Now if the little ole ladies would have ran a yard sale, they could have made some change.

Down South
07-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Wow! An 8 pounder of bullseye will last forever! Well, maybe not... Lol!
I have over 16lb of Bullseye, should last a while.

Lance Boyle
07-06-2013, 01:52 PM
I keep saying to the gang at the range to have a swap meet. Charge $5 admission or a trunk or $10 to put up a table and a trunk or something like that to generate some revenue at the club. Our club's bank account is usually empty and we need capital improvements to the place.

jonp
07-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I keep saying to the gang at the range to have a swap meet. Charge $5 admission or a trunk or $10 to put up a table and a trunk or something like that to generate some revenue at the club. Our club's bank account is usually empty and we need capital improvements to the place.
Thats a good idea. I have a few pounds of bullseye and universal i'd get.rid of as I dont use either much.