PDA

View Full Version : Interesting piece of history, near to Cincinnati

Pb2au
07-01-2013, 10:00 PM
http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-ghost-ship.html

Road trip... Me and my camera. I must document this.

Frank46
07-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Neat article, thanks for sharing. Frank

Artful
07-01-2013, 11:16 PM
We have little regard for our history - which is why we keep repeating things

Thanks for posting the link

MtGun44
07-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Interesting. Actually, the hull has some pretty nice lines, not that the sightseeing superstructure
did anything for her lines - like a pretty girl wearing ugly clothes.

Bill

Bzcraig
07-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Really good story.....if I had unlimited resources that would be restored.

Artful
07-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I wonder how restorable it is? You'd have a lot to do on that ship.

would you take her back to day 1

or last job?

and where do you start?

You have to refloat - then tow to a shipyard unless you intend to take out and drydock in your backyard.

You'll need inspections of all the rivit's and plates - you could drop what - millions on her.

Ithaca Gunner
07-02-2013, 05:53 AM
Wow! That reminds me of a ship/boat whatever my cousin and I saw in the Chemung river just south of Big Flats, N.Y. one summer day during a drought. It was a year or two after the 72' flood. We rode motorcycles down the rail road right of way towards Corning to his favorite swimming hole, a small dock extending out into the river about 15'. The water was very low showing steel rails jutting up along both sides of the dock where a larger one had once been. He commented on how lucky he was not to have jumped off the sides on earlier trips when I spotted something along the opposite bank, the bow of a vessel very much the same as the one you visited and photographed, (probably about half the size though). I would say about 12' of her nose and starboard side stuck up out of the water in plain view. We climbed a nearby hill for a better look and saw the outline of the starboard side extending back for about another 30' under water, the port side buried in the mud of the river bank. We were probably 2-300yds. away and on the west bank of the river, the vessel along the east bank. Neither of us being that good of swimmers, we didn't dare venture across to check it out closer, we just stood in awe of our discovery. Just something cool we remember to this day. Thanks for posting, it jogged a good memory!

missionary5155
07-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Good morning
Time sure marches on ! As always the bigger relics get left to rust away. But it is similar to the old downtown buildings that finally cost more to fix and opperate than can be profitable.
Fortunately molds and firearms can be salvaged and enjoyed much easier. Well mostly.. it is tough trying to salvage the old S&W's #3's first & second models.. lock parts are really time consuming to make.
Mike in Peru

WILCO
07-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Neat article, thanks for sharing. Frank

Ditto for me!

Bzcraig
07-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I wonder how restorable it is? You'd have a lot to do on that ship.

would you take her back to day 1

or last job?

and where do you start?

You have to refloat - then tow to a shipyard unless you intend to take out and drydock in your backyard.

You'll need inspections of all the rivit's and plates - you could drop what - millions on her.

You are right Art......that is why I said 'unlimited resources.' The lines on that ship are as sexy as the lines on that avatar of yours and she has so much distinction.

Pb2au
07-03-2013, 12:28 PM
A little investigation into this has turned up a silver lining.

It seems that the current owner of the vessel is in talks with a local non-profit organization. The intent it appears is to eventually turn it into a museum. I still do not have any concrete details yet, so don't hold me to the grindstone!
I am going to get me, my wife, our kayaks and my camera in there soon to capture this beauty.

Bzcraig
07-03-2013, 08:16 PM
A little investigation into this has turned up a silver lining.

It seems that the current owner of the vessel is in talks with a local non-profit organization. The intent it appears is to eventually turn it into a museum. I still do not have any concrete details yet, so don't hold me to the grindstone!
I am going to get me, my wife, our kayaks and my camera in there soon to capture this beauty.

Sweet....keep us posted please

10-x
07-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks for posting this.